Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 threedom

https://mythreedom.com

Not every JL/JT owner is familiar with what is inside of a factory JL / JT key fob.

Everyday, Threedom, through Instagram messages, FaceBook messages, Email messages, etc., gets messages, saying the following:
"My factory key fob, it's so big, I want to buy one of your small custom fobs, but I don't know anything about the fob or what the heck I need to do to changeover to one of your fobs... Can you help me"

Anyway with such messages in mind, this thread is started... Hopefully, the thread will be helpful to any guy, gal that desires lets call it, a little.... Factory Key Fob 101....

IF you have any questions, ask away... IF you have something to say regarding the disassembly, etc., let's hear it.. Help thy fellow JL /JT owner..

JL / JT Factory Key Fob Disassembled
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 stock-fob-guts

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 2323

Factory JL /JT key fob disassembly video click here.
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 disassembly
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Here is an excellent close-up pic of the factory fob opened up.. finger pointing to the RFID chip..
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 chi

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Is there a circuit board inside one of these, or just the RFID chip?

Kevin
@Kevin_D

Both circuit board and RFID chip are in the buttonless factory fob.

Here is a pic of a buttonless factory fob opened up.... the pieces..
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 jl fob inside

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Is it hard to get the roll pin out so you can remove the key from the factory key holder? NO, it comes out really easily.

You can just push it out with a bulletin board push pin... careful though, as you can easily lose track of the little roll pin...

Remove the roll pin while the key holder is over a light colored towel. When the roll pin pushes out, it will fall into the towel and will be less apt to roll away.. and for you to lose track of it.

Roll Pin ----- Push Pin
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 roll pin
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 push pin

Factory Key Holder with key
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 keyholder

Pushing out the Roll Pin with a Push Pin
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 rollpinpush

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
You go to start your JL/JT and when you press the ignition button, the Jeep does not start and you see this on the screen in front of you...

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 not detected

Well, undoubtedly your fob battery is depleted. You'll need to replace the CR2450 battery in your fob.

Now, how to get the Jeep started so you can get home or to a store to buy a fob battery...

Do the following to get the Jeep started..... With your foot firmly pressing down on the brake pedal, as displayed in the picture below, take the end of your fob and firmly press it against the start button.

Press firmly enough with the fob end to fully depress the start button.

Your Jeep will start and will continue to stay running until you press the ignition button to off...

Do know that if you turn off the Jeep you will have to do the same procedure to restart..... until you replace the CR2450 fob battery.

Easy way to remember which end of a factory fob or a Threedom fob to use for this procedure..

Just say to yourself... I'm not going to panic cause this thing is not starting.. I'm just going to use the fob end opposite of the panic button, to press firmly against the ignition button while I have the brake pedal firmly pushed down.

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 deadfobbattery

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Changing the CR2450 battery in a JL / JT factory key fob...

I'd like to personally thank Mopar for doing this video ... now I don't have to do one to post in this thread.. :like:

Last edited:

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL, 2014 JKU, and a few others
Nice info! I would like to know if I would be able to program a spare fob myself (if I have two working fobs) or do I definitely need to take it to the dealer? Thanks!

My apologies if I am not supposed to post here.

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Nice info! I would like to know if I would be able to program a spare fob myself (if I have two working fobs) or do I definitely need to take it to the dealer? Thanks!
@exrub

Yes, there are alternatives, versus going to a dealership to have a JL/JT fob(s) programmed ..... but whether it is worth your time and the $ savings to go with the alternative(s), remains to be seen.

As for your question " I would like to know if I would be able to program a spare fob myself" .... well, it doable but only if you have the equipment and the know how.. Most all the guys and gals I know do not have either...

By the way... You may read internet posts saying you cannot have more then 2 programmed JL/JT fobs for one JL/JT. This is a not true. It's not unusual for a JL/JT owner to have more then 2 fobs programmed to use with their JL/JT.

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Last edited:
Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
For those not familiar with Threedom and our product offerings for the JL and JT, we encourage you to stop by our website and do some window shopping... :like:

Threedom, has more then one, Model fob offering!
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 US_Flag_icon1

Since our original Model M and M+, we now have multiple fob offerings...

Fairly recently, we added our Model S+ .....that uses the factory 3/4 button pad, (we also have a buttonless S+ for the JL/JT Sport owner) has a retractable key and comes in 4 different textures and an array of colors and the USA flag... and we have a thin line dedicated to our Heroes... a Blue line, Red line, Green Line, Orange line and a Blue/Red combo are offered.

The Model S+ is smaller in size then the factory fob, and more then one user of the Model S+ has stated .... "It's a pleasure to have.. a pleasure to use"..

Anyway, we'll leave a light on for you
.... stop by anytime.. https://mythreedom.com/

A few examples..
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 Model S+ US Fla
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 Model S+ BW US Fla
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 redline

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 choose

Sponsored

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL, 2014 JKU, and a few others
@exrub

Yes, there are alternatives, versus going to a dealership to have a JL/JT fob(s) programmed ..... but whether it is worth your time and the $ savings to go with the alternative(s), remains to be seen.

As for your question " I would like to know if I would be able to program a spare fob myself" .... well, it doable but only if you have the equipment and the know how.. Most all the guys and gals I know do not have either...

By the way... You may read internet posts saying you cannot have more then 2 programmed JL/JT fobs for one JL/JT. This is a not true. It's not unusual for a JL/JT owner to have more then 2 fobs programmed to use with their JL/JT.
Thank you for the response. My most recent purchase was a 2020 Ford, and those remotes were simple to program so I was hoping it would be the case with the 2022 Wrangler as well. Guess not.

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I just replaced my factory fob with the Model M+ and it works great. I love how much smaller it is and everything worked easily. The hardest part is getting the RFID chip out.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is a very informative thread ; I should be able to disassemble my Fob for base Sport, manual locks/ windows, and then not need a Belt Pouch to carry the OEM Fob. Thanks !

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Whether you accidentally placed your factory key fob in the wash, dropped it in a puddle, swam with it, etc., there are plenty of ways you can get your Jeep key fob soaked by mistake.

If this happens act quickly, do not delay.

Once you've realized you've gotten your key fob wet, you'll want to get it dried out as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the less likely your JL/JT fob will survive it's accidental bath day.

First off, DO NOT PUSH ANY FOB BUTTONS! Resist the urge to test the fob..

Carefully, turn the fob so it is facing button side downwards and dab the water off the fob with a piece of dry, clean cloth or with dry paper towels.

After doing this lay the fob, still facing button side down, on a dry cloth or on dry paper towels and leave it to drain for a few minutes.

Now, as if you were going to change your CR2450 battery, open the fob up, as shown in the earlier Mopar video.... Pry the side of the plastic case of the factory JL/JT fob off with a flat tip screwdriver. Remember, do not push any fob buttons.

Once you get the plastic case off and have access to the battery, carefully pry out / remove the CR2450 battery.

Let the fob lay on some clean dry paper towels now for a few more minutes..

Give the fob a few minutes to air dry and then with a T6 Torx driver, disassemble the factory fob. (watch the Threedom disassembly video posted earlier in this thread) Do not remove the RFID chip from the fob. The RFID chip is sealed in a water proof coating.

IF you see any water in the fob, use a Q-tip or piece small piece of paper towel to gently absorb that water.

You will have removed the circuit board ... be careful with it, but do gently dab off any water from it... Clean toilet paper dabbed/pressed gently against the circuit board will grab up water/moisture. As for the RFID chip in the fob... remember, leave it be... don't worry about it as it is sealed in a water tight coating.

IF, if your fob had been submersed in Salt Water, at this time using 90% rubbing alcohol, wipe the circuit board carefully with a wet cotton swab (dipped in the 90-percent isopropyl alcohol) to remove any leftover impurities on the circuit and then place the fob back on a clean dry cloth or clean paper towels.

Now.... there are different ideas on what to do next.. some will say seal up the fob and it's inner's (not the battery) in a bag of dry white rice. Leave all sealed up in the bag for 48 hrs. and then remove all the fob parts and reassemble the fob. Install a new CR2045 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive result..

The other idea, rather then going the white rice route, is to use a hair dryer to dry the fob... the fob's inners.

Set on a very low heat setting, you spend a few minutes drying all the fobs inners with the hair dryer.

Dry for say 5 min., let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the heating process.

You do this 2-3 times.. Remember, it is critical, not to use to hot a hair dryer, and to dry with the dryer for say 5 min. max, let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the heating process.

After the 2-3 times drying with a hair dryer, Install a new CR2450 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive out come.

Important: It's a good idea to replace the battery as a precaution, just in case it was damaged or depleted after the accidental submerging. Before installing the new battery, gently, clean the contacts on the circuit board with 90% isopropyl alcohol and let it dry, before installing that new battery.

The above info is meant to be helpful... Threedom offers the preceding so you have an idea how to handle a soaked JL/JT factory key fob. Use the above info at your own risk... Threedom is in hopes that your fob survives it's accidental bath day but....

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to panic cause this thing is not starting.. I'm just going to use the fob end opposite of the panic button, to press firmly against the ignition button while I have the brake pedal firmly pushed down.
Or clutch pushed in if you've got a manual transmission.
Sponsored