Sponsored

🤳🏾 Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Installed! Can't wait to try out the new features. Thanks for the update.
Sponsored

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
Question...... I updated the app on the phone earlier this afternoon and it is showing the latest version. I went out into the garage & tried it on my 2020 Escape. (it's -6° outside, so I didn't brave the cold to try it on the Jeep)

I don't see anything different with the new app version. Does it require that the phone be reconnected to the vehicle with a cord one time before going back to using wireless?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question...... I updated the app on the phone earlier this afternoon and it is showing the latest version. I went out into the garage & tried it on my 2020 Escape. (it's -6° outside, so I didn't brave the cold to try it on the Jeep)

I don't see anything different with the new app version. Does it require that the phone be reconnected to the vehicle with a cord one time before going back to using wireless?
Which app? Android Auto or Waze, I mentioned in the last post.

If you are referring to Waze.... apparently not all doing the update will see split screen, etc.
I'm real surprised you did not see differences though, with the 4.91.70.700 beta version. No, wired for a bit would make no difference as far as I understand. You don't see a differnce with the openig screen?

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED!
Which app? Android Auto or Waze, I mentioned in the last post.

If you are referring to Waze.... apparently not all doing the update will see split screen, etc.
I'm real surprised you did not see differences though, with the 4.91.70.700 beta version. No, wired for a bit would make no difference as far as I understand. You don't see a difference with the opening screen?
I updated to v8.8.630404 and I use Google Maps, maybe that's why no split screen?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I updated to v8.8.630404 and I use Google Maps, maybe that's why no split screen?
I am running Android Auto 8.8.630404 and Maps ver. 11.64.0701 and no split screen on Maps, yet.
With Waze, beta I am seeing a different main screen.

Sponsored

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I am running Android Auto 8.8.630404 and Maps ver. 11.64.0701 and no split screen on Maps, yet.
With Waze, beta I am seeing a different main screen.
I'll have to give Waze a try tomorow. I have the same Google Maps version as you are using.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to see how things are tomorrow, but on Friday, for me, Google Maps would split screen, Waze did not.
AA ver 8.8.630404-release
Google Maps ver 11.63.0704
Waze ver 4.91.0.2

Looks like the Google Maps and Waze Betas are currently full.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to see how things are tomorrow, but on Friday, for me, Google Maps would split screen, Waze did not.
AA ver 8.8.630404-release
Google Maps ver 11.63.0704
Waze ver 4.91.0.2

Looks like the Google Maps and Waze Betas are currently full.
In regard to Waze beta program... This link seems to be the ticket to join:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.waze

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In regard to Waze beta program... This link seems to be the ticket to join:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.waze
Thanks for the link. I uninstalled and reinstalled Waze and it says I'm in the Beta now but Waze is still ver 4.91.0.2. I'll have to see if I get any updates soon, but nothing right now.

Here's screen shots of my AA with split screen for Google maps and no split screen with Waze if anyone is interested
Jeep Wrangler JL 🤳🏾  Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related screendump - 2023-01-30-08 16 03

Jeep Wrangler JL 🤳🏾  Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related screendump - 2023-01-30-08 16 41

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link. I uninstalled and reinstalled Waze and it says I'm in the Beta now but Waze is still ver 4.91.0.2. I'll have to see if I get any updates soon, but nothing right now.

Here's screen shots of my AA with split screen for Google maps and no split screen with Waze if anyone is interested
You can load Waze via the link that Rhinebeck posted earlier. That's what I ended up doing.

However, I don't have Android Auto Coolwalk yet, even though I'm running Android Auto 8.8. Google controls it with a server side switch. Guess I'm not cool enough to get it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can load Waze via the link that Rhinebeck posted earlier. That's what I ended up doing.

However, I don't have Android Auto Coolwalk yet, even though I'm running Android Auto 8.8. Google controls it with a server side switch. Guess I'm not cool enough to get it.
@unsavory

Not sure if you noticed but Android Auto in settings no longer has the toggle for wireless Android Auto. No more having to toggle that when you install an MA1 or AAWireless dongle.

When you finally get Coolwalk, you will notice that there is no more toggle for "Weather" in AA settings and you will now find a selection settings for Coolwalk.

You must be seeing Main screen differences with Waze even though you do not have Coolwalk yet...

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Android Auto (App) has been undergoing some very significant changes lately... lots of very positive changes...

Go here often and download and install the current release.. Why wait for Google Play to get around to getting the new release to you..

Go here to download the most current release..
Android Auto 8.3.624104-release (arm64-v8a) (Android 8.0+)
@Rhinebeck01
This is my current version on Galaxy S22 Ultra
Looks like it's been updated again
8.6.625054 as of now
Hope this helps
Btw, anyone wanting Android Auto Wireless, i highly recommend buying the Motorola MA1 as well. I think the interface is very decent
Works most of time and love not having a usb to plug in 👍

Jeep Wrangler JL 🤳🏾  Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related 20230130_200106

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@unsavory

Not sure if you noticed but Android Auto in settings no longer has the toggle for wireless Android Auto. No more having to toggle that when you install an MA1 or AAWireless dongle.

When you finally get Coolwalk, you will notice that there is no more toggle for "Weather" in AA settings and you will now find a selection settings for Coolwalk.

You must be seeing Main screen differences with Waze even though you do not have Coolwalk yet...
Yes, I'm seeing some minor UI changes with Waze, but haven't formed an opinion on them yet.

I'm not fully on the wireless AA bandwagon yet, although I do have it in my other car. Not happy that it won't let me open maps on the phone while connected to AA, which it does automatically, and it's not easy to disconnect, like you can with a cable.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bryce
@Others

Well, today was the day for my JL... Started it up and up pops Cool Walk / split screen.

I have Cool Walk on both Google Maps and Waze now ............ Finally!

Google Maps -> 8.4 radio:
Jeep Wrangler JL 🤳🏾  Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related 20230201_120115

Waze -> 8.4 radio:
Jeep Wrangler JL 🤳🏾  Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related 20230201_120142

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Updated to Android Auto 8.8.630404 and got coolwalk. Google maps shows the split screen. I don't use Waze anymore. Had to clear cache AND data to get my full app list to show up. On X Offroad was missing from the head unit. Forgot to check if it supported the split screen (probably not)
Sponsored