Sponsored

🤳🏾 Android Auto - Smartphone App Update Related

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Android Auto (App) has been undergoing some very significant changes lately... lots of very positive changes...

Go here often and download and install the current release.. Why wait for Google Play to get around to getting the new release to you..

Go here to download the most current release..
Android Auto 8.3.624104-release (arm64-v8a) (Android 8.0+)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention....

Don't be skittish / hesistant, in regard to updating to a newly released Android Auto release.....

IF, if you were to update to a release that was not up to your liking, etc., you can easily go back and download an older release and install / roll back to that older release..

Again, no problem rolling back in regard to Android Auto releases.

• Haha
Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In talking with a few JL/JT owner's, I am actually a little surprised how little the owner's knew about the Android Auto app....

SO, figured I would post this post and mention something they were very happy I told them about in regard to their Android smartphone...

That.... if you go to Settings and it settings you select Advanced Features and then you select Android Auto you will come to a page where you can customize your Android Auto ....

...Customize the way Android Auto behaves when lets deals with your JL's radio . For sure, if you do use Android Auto you will want to go take a looksee and set up your preferences...

One real pleaser is that you can choose which apps show in Android auto and how the appear..... (the order) .... on the screen of your JL's radio ...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
In talking with a few JL/JT owner's, I am actually a little surprised how little owner's knew about the Android Auto app....

SO, figured I would post this post and mention something they were very happy I told them about in regard to their Android smartphone...

That.... if you go to Settings and it settings you select Advanced Features and then you select Android Auto you will come to a page where you can customize your Android Auto ....

...Customize the way Android Auto behaves when lets deals with your JL's radio . For sure, if you do use Android Auto you will want to go take a looksee and set up your preferences...

One real pleaser is that you can choose which apps show in Android auto and how the appear..... (the order) .... on the screen of your JL's radio ...

I always plug my phone in for AA. I never listen to the radio, or XM. I'm always on Spotify and using maps. I'm excited to see that more options are becoming available for mapping. I hope that eventually we will be able to use a USGS map on the screen.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I hope that eventually we will be able to use a USGS map on the screen.
I believe you can now. Gaia GPS works on Android Auto (I tried it out recording part of my Jeep Adventure Academy runs), and Gaia GPS has USGS Topos as one of the layer options. I say I believe, instead of knowing, because I only have the free version of Gaia GPS, and therefore am not allowed to turn on the USGS or other layers to test it.

Sponsored

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Android Auto (App) has been undergoing some very significant changes lately... lots of very positive changes...

Go here often and download and install the current release.. Why wait for Google Play to get around to getting the new release to you..

Here is one place I go to for a list of releases and to download the most current release..

https://android-auto.en.uptodown.com/android/versions
Anything specific? I mean, I have Android Auto and nothing much has changed except a while ago they added wallpapers and GameSnacks. I guess they added an auto launch feature and something about car keys for BMW's. I'm not seeing anything really noticeable.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How to update? My android is saying it has version 7.3.620514
@c7j6y1

I'm not sure how much you know in regard to Android app updates/updating.

You can go to the "Play Store" on your Android smartphone and Manage apps there.. Of course, not always is the most current app version, etc. available there..

As far as Android Auto update that you asked about.....

You can download it directly to the Android smartphone and then do the install.

You download the .apr file and then with the "My Files" app or similar app on your smartphone you go to the .apr file you downloaded and execute it.

When you go to execute it, you will get a pop up message, directing you to go to settings and there you enable app install from unknown sources.

As soon as you enable this setting the install of that .apr file starts and subsequently completes.

What I do:

Using my laptop, I go to https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...auto-8-0-623334-release-android-apk-download/ and download the most current .apr file.

Now, I move that downloaded .apr file to a folder in Microsoft One Drive that I can access with my Android smartphone.

I take my Android smartphone, and with an app like "My Files" app or similar app on my smartphone, I go to the .apr file in the One Drive folder and execute it.

When I go to execute it, I get a pop up message, directing me to go to settings and there I enable app install from unknown sources. As soon as I enable this setting the install of that .apr file starts and quickly completes on my Android smartphone.

Last edited:

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Any new features since the last version?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I see there's a slightly newer one and a beta available. Are those more risky? Do you know if I were to install the beta apk, if I could get back to safety easily?

Screenshot_20221022-090815.png
@Baconator

I load new releases as soon they are available. Presently, I am running
Android Auto 8.4.124244-release.daily beta (arm64-v8a) (Android 8.0+) APK that was made avail. yesterday.

I would not call running an Android Auto update/beta update "risky" ....as the most that can happen is you see app hiccups and then you would just reload a known to be aok release.

YES, you can roll back easily.... you roll back by just loading the older release that you want.

Can tell you it is worth it, running the most current Android Auto release you can. Fixes are getting thrown out with each new release..