Sponsored

😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it!

RubiXplr

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏
Ecarver2: did you run into any issues installing the rack? I’ve been eyeing the rhino-rack backbone for some time but the price point has me putting it off for a while. I’ve seen many installed and this is a first hearing of cracked tops. This has me rethink the path I was considering.

I expect @Rhino-Rack to have interest in clearing this up - this could really put a damper on their sales. It is interesting to see other cracked tops without “external influence”.

I recognize that an external rack system may be the best option but I haven't found one that looks appealing to me.

Rover 4

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JL, 1989 Jeep wagoneer, 1990 Jeep Wagoneer, 1984 Jeep wagoneer
installing a Gobi Rack for this very reason, simple common sense says the drilling for the Rhino Rack is the culprit. You should be able to go after your installer though, not Jeep.

mwpierson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Yeah, I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on the backbone too. I’ve read numerous good things about them, seen many high profile people use them, and not heard or seen anything about cracks. Probably just a bad install job.

I agree though, FCA has every right to deny this claim. No different than adding big tires and then busting an axle.

Sponsored

Ahre

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ordered Mar 14, 2020
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on the backbone too. I’ve read numerous good things about them, seen many high profile people use them, and not heard or seen anything about cracks. Probably just a bad install job.
Hey Mike, I pulled the trigger without any knowledge of cracking a little over a month ago and now have 1200 miles with Alpha RTT and 270 XT Awning on a Backbone w/Pioneer and no cracks so far... Now keeping my fingers crossed.
P.S. Professional install on Rack, RTT and Awning.

Jeep Wrangler JL 😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it! AlphaRTT_270_XT_Awnii

Jeep Wrangler JL 😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it! BackBonePioneer

mwpierson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Hey Mike, I pulled the trigger without any knowledge of cracking a little over a month ago and now have 1200 miles with Alpha RTT and 270 XT Awning on a Backbone w/Pioneer and no cracks so far... Now keeping my fingers crossed.
P.S. Professional install on Rack, RTT and Awning.
Looks great! That’s pretty close to what I intend to do as well. Thanks

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So this guy made a post a week ago and ran away?
Obviously drilling holes voids the warranty.
You would hope they were a little stronger than this.
I have seen similar cracks on the YJ hardtop at the hinges...looks like these are similar location?
I have the soft top now so not familiar with this one.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
And i'm in awe that anyone can think the Wrangler is overpriced when something as insipid as a Honda Accord can cost you $40K.
Got my 2020 Rubicon for less than that Accord.

Paul19JLR

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I saw on Facebook someone had a loaded up backbone. Dropped off a ledge and hit the rear bumper on the way down. Top cracked just like the OPs. Seeing how the backbone transfers weight to the tub, I can see any flexing in the supports is going to cause issues. This is where the Maximus-3 system shines. There's no way for this to happen.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Wow, was looking at this rack system, but now think I’ll pass.

Kinda agree with most people here. If I had installed this and my hard top cracked I’d be calling Rhino Rack first and would not even approach the dealer for warranty.

It’s interesting this happened with a rhino rack backbone system as they took forever to get their system out for the JL. They had it for the JK, but it was almost two years before it was ready for the JL.
Wonder if they were having issues with cracking roofs as we know the JL roof is made differently than the JK version and is much lighter.
Worth a call to them.
Ive had the rhino rack with a 130lb rtt on top for nearly 10k miles. I take it on some rough trails and wash board roads at high speeds. No issues. Could be a fluke with the OPs or maybe not a clean drill hole causing the weak spot. Hard to say, but I just wanted to add my experience with the rack and weight on top over hundreds of off road miles. I'm pretty pleased other that having to remove it once when the nuts inside the feet came loose. Had to thread lock it cause the nylock nuts failed. All good now and no cracks.
20201024_093536.jpg

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I just think it is funny— he drills into the roof and wonders why they will not honor the warranty. He ran off when he saw no one agreed with his point of view.
his profile says he's a CEO. if true, he can afford to buy himself a new hardtop.
Sponsored