Sponsored

😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it!

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I'm not contradicting myself. You are missing the fact that we're talking about two different things.

Again - THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BUY SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN IT'S NOT TOO EXPENSIVE.

To answer your question, I bought one because it's what my wife wanted. And yes, i've bought my share of way too expensive vehicles. Like the $78k CTS-V I bought, and the $63k Tahoe...one thing I can say about both of those vehicles though is that they were absolutely trouble free for the entire time I had them. Still, way too expensive.
Another non-contributing contributor!

And what was the depreciation rate on both...especially the caddy? Your post has nothing to do with the OP's cracked top so I'm assuming you just like to read stuff you wrote?

Too expensive means what? If you got people buying every one made and it has the least depreciation of any brand made, it sounds like the price is right to me. When people stop buying because the value is not reasonable...then it perhaps is too expensive.

Please find something constructive to do.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nobody forced you or I to buy a wrangler....
So who's insane? The guy that charges the price or the guy that pays the price?

As Obi-Wan once said: "Is it the fool or the fool that follows"?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

20200813_073639.jpg

20200813_073821 (1).jpg

20200813_073905 (1).jpg
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

20200813_073639.jpg

20200813_073821 (1).jpg

20200813_073905 (1).jpg
Bet you're glad you asked for opinions! I was at my dealer today (I have a lot of good friends there...Christmas wishes) and showed him your post. He said lots of luck getting a warranty coverage if you have "penetrated the top". I'm assuming you did so you are probably going to have to bear the burden of the expense yourself. Sometimes the easiest way to fix a problem is suck it up and drop a wad of cash realizing that education comes in many forms but never is free! Sorry for your problems, good luck.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Bet you're glad you asked for opinions! I was at my dealer today (I have a lot of good friends there...Christmas wishes) and showed him your post. He said lots of luck getting a warranty coverage if you have "penetrated the top". I'm assuming you did so you are probably going to have to bear the burden of the expense yourself. Sometimes the easiest way to fix a problem is suck it up and drop a wad of cash realizing that education comes in many forms but never is free! Sorry for your problems, good luck.
Well put.

You just wanted to use the word "penetrate" on a forum and not get punished by the admin.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
My mom had an early 90s Jimmy, GMC version of Blazer, but it didn't come with 33s, lockers, adaptive cruise, 4:1 t case, 8.4 screen, remote start, heated seats, heated steering wheel, or 440 ft lb of torque at almost 30 mpg.
LOL I know, and neither does the Wrangler. That's exactly my point.
When you see a completely idiotic response like this and his repeated BS claims of objectively - which is really his own subjective opinion. It is clear we have a troll, clown, fool, or all of the above.

Most all of the responses to his BS assertions are valid - yet he keeps on his path of stupidity. Amazing stuff really. Somewhat entertaining. But getting kinda silly. Happy Holidays.

But @GtX changing his avatar to a downed raven got a laugh. 😆

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Another non-contributing contributor!

And what was the depreciation rate on both...especially the caddy? Your post has nothing to do with the OP's cracked top so I'm assuming you just like to read stuff you wrote?
Who made you the determinator of contributions? Lmfao.

Sold the CTS-V after three years of ownership for $3k less than I paid...so pretty good there, and I still have the Tahoe...don't have any plans to sell it at this time.

Stop digging. Just stop. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. It's obvious. You apparently think 4:1 tcases, solid front axles and locking diffs are "free" for Jeep. They're not....and they aren't free for their customers either.
No. YOU need to put down the Kool-Aid. Just because I can see the shortcomings of my own vehicles doesn't mean I don't know what i'm talking about. And stop putting words in my mouth.

They don't justify the price to someone like you that doesn't wheel.
Yeah...me and 95% of Wrangler owners. Exactly my point. The vast majority of buyers don't care that their Wrangler can drive over a bigger rock than any other stock SUV. They just love the fact that they have a unique and cool vehicle. You try this line and then claim I'm the one who doesn't know know what the fuck they're talking about? Give me a break son...you are not special.

When you see a completely idiotic response like this and his repeated BS claims of objectively - which is really his own subjective opinion. It is clear we have a troll, clown, fool, or all of the above.
You too kid. Put down the Kool Aid.

Again - you can love your Wrangler and recognize its shortcomings. You aren't required to contribute to the Jeep snob reputation. This has gotten way out of hand and needs to end.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
You could end it by shutting the fuck up....but you've proven you're not capable of that.

Kool-Aid? Your reading comprehension sux, bro. I'll say it again since you're slow on the uptake...I don't particularly like Jeeps at all.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You've repeatedly said stupid shit that no one with even a modicum of experience would utter b/c it is patently false.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full up here.
And i'm not continuing a d-size match with a 12-year old.

Like I said this has gotten out of hand and needs to stop. So i'm stopping it.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Yeah...me and 95% of Wrangler owners. Exactly my point. The vast majority of buyers don't care that their Wrangler can drive over a bigger rock than any other stock SUV. They just love the fact that they have a unique and cool vehicle. You try this line and then claim I'm the one who doesn't know know what the fuck they're talking about? Give me a break son...you are not special.
This does not make it over priced. This is like saying that a Porsche is overpriced because I never drive it 0-60 in less than 6 seconds (as it was designed) - I might as well just bought a CTS-V.

The capabilities of the Wrangler are one of the main factors giving it value. Just because someone does not use that value does not make that value nonexistent.

By your crack logic, you and 95% of the owners paid for features that are truly there but you voluntarily paid because you wanted to and chose not to utilize the value in the vehicle.

I buy electronic gadgets that I like one or two nice features but will never utilize all of the features. I do not get on say they are overpriced. I chose to get the quality features I use and chalk up the rest to my prerogative.

“Stupidity is a talent for misconception.”

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Let me see if I have this right...

Modifies Jeep.
Jeep breaks.
Jeep will not warranty it.
Gets mad.
Looks for support from other Jeepers.
Other Jeepers tell him it is his fault and of course
no warranty
Gets mad at other Jeepers for not agreeing with
him.

Is that about it?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I knew it wouldn't be long until someone tried this BS line.

The fact that the Wrangler is capable of traversing terrain that only 0.01% of it's owners will ever even go near does not justify its price for the other 99.99%. It rides on an absolutely archaic platform with an ancient suspension and steering system, and comes with a standard features list comparable to a 1985 Blazer. None of this would be a problem, given it's capability, if it weren't priced in luxury SUV territory. To add insult to injury, it doesn't even meet the bar of "average" quality. Take $10k off the price, and get QC sorted, and the Wrangler would be a fantastic package.
You can drone on about "capability" from the enthusiast point of view all you want, but the bottom line remains the same - it makes a lot more sense for someone to start with a standard SUV or truck and build it for off-roading than to start with a Wrangler...for the overwhelming majority of people, you are going to get more capability, features, and quality for your dollar with just about anything else. The only niche where that flips is for someone like a Willy's buyer - someone who JUST wants an offroader and does not need ANY extra features.
It sounds to me like you did not purchase the vehicle that you needed. Instead, you purchased the one you wanted.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
This has gotten way out of hand and needs to end.
Kevin try not to deflect this time. Stay with the program. Just admit you have no clue what BS you are spewing.

LOL I know, and neither does the Wrangler. That's exactly my point.
Maybe your Wrangler doesn't. Mine does.
No one is drinking any Kool Aid. Just that you are stuck in a pile of your own BS and are having a real hard time not continuing to roll in it.

Tip: Just step away from the keyboard and let it go. Happy Holidays. 😆

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Let me see if I have this right...

Modifies Jeep.
Jeep breaks.
Jeep will not warranty it.
Gets mad.
Looks for support from other Jeepers.
Other Jeepers tell him it is his fault and of course
no warranty
Gets mad at other Jeepers for not agreeing with
him.

Is that about it?
Nah this dude isn't the op, I don't know what happened to the op as he hasn't posted since the first page. This Raven dude is just someone who went on his own wild tangent about how overpriced the Wrangler is that literally nobody else agrees with but continues to speed his BS.

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
8 pages later and we still don't know if the crack got fixed.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Another problem the OP had was having to take his Wrangler to a dealer from which he didn't buy the vehicle. Getting most dealers to help is difficult enough if you're its customer, but when you buy from another dealer you are way down on the effort list. That aside, I have to agree with the numerous comments regarding drilling. That pretty negates the warranty.
It's not like the dealer does warranty service for free, they do bill FCA, and for some, it is a significant revenue stream.
Sponsored