Sponsored

😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

that is good customer service on rhino rack. I have to say that it must have been poor management when installing. I have have my maximus 3 rack with a ROAM RTT 135lbs on my rig for about two years now. I've done over 8,000 miles on easy to moderate trails with one or two hard trails. zero issues with cracking. Now i have made sure that every 2500-3500 miles i retorque all bolts on the system to make sure nothing comes loss allowing for extra movement that is un wanted. I can see why FCA will not cover it and it sucks 100% but at least they're offering a discount to help get this fixed. Is the whole ordeal frustrating YES, but in the end you wil lstill enjoy your jeep either way!
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Not only that but putting a couple propane tanks up top may have created a point load sufficient to crack the top bouncing down a trail. If full those tanks can weigh over 35lbs each. We put full ones in the rear footwell because of the weight.

Tough to know all the deets obviously. Especially if the tanks were not strapped down tight - they could bounce up enough to create a pretty large dynamic down force. Really many unknown variables can factor into this.

Would def problem solve to determine if it was a Rhino design defect or a simple install and/or maintenance - user error. But trying to get FCA to warranty this after drilling so many holes is really pushing it.

So figure out what caused the cracking then go from there. A Gobi external mount is another option. Would be surprised though that Rhino was that poorly engineered. Anyways the crack looks to be repairable - or get a used or new top - and carry on enjoying your JL.

We have loaded plenty using just the rails with zero issues pounding down heavily rutted FSRs. So something is amiss here to get cracking like that.

F744C536-07B0-4F8D-9EF8-1795858648A7.png

DA2463AE-68D9-4721-9170-00E291BC1952.png

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
How many vehicles have you built? How many have you modified to have 4:1 and lockers front and rear that have the capability to traverse the kind of terrain a stock Rubicon JL can AND still be driveable on the street with creature comforts, a WARRANTY, decent mileage for the capability and all the tech upgrades to which consumers have become accustomed, not to mention safety features?

Man, some of you guys are either really bad at math or have no idea what building an offroad capable rig costs.
Counterpoint is those costs are offset by all of the hard plastic they use everywhere, lack of creature comforts like power seats, no sound insulation, etc.

At the end of the day, I suspect it is true what they say about the Wrangler being a cash cow (high profit margins) for FCA. Much like how GM makes money hand over fist with the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Counterpoint is those costs are offset by all of the hard plastic they use everywhere, lack of creature comforts like power seats, no sound insulation, etc.

At the end of the day, I suspect it is true what they say about the Wrangler being a cash cow (high profit margins) for FCA. Much like how GM makes money hand over fist with the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade.
FCA has gotten away with delivering less for more money in part because Wrangler hasn’t got much direct competition.

Just look at Gladiator: 2020 and 2021 models have been on “Employee Pricing” for months. That’s the equivalent to 10% off MSRP before you even step into the showroom. Many shoppers are finding it difficult to justify Gladiator’s price vs what you pay for a Tacoma, Ranger or Colorado.

Hopefully Bronco will change some of this.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Off Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 138 lbs *Due to the extreme forces acting on loads when driving on unsealed roads, Rhino-Rack reduces the stated off-road capacities to allow for a safety factor of 1.5. Forces and load capacities vary with trail conditions and speed of travel.

The two propane tanks alone would put you at 75 pounds plus whatever else. Regardless, the fact that this rack requires holes to be drilled in the hardtop would scare me off. And there's no way Jeep is going to warranty cracking in the hardtop after you drilled holes in it. Yes it sucks, but I just don't see how this is Jeep's fault.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
That's a bummer, man. I feel for ya.

I can see how FCA will skate on this one, as drilling is a get-out-of-warranty-jail-free card. And I have no reason to doubt you did this properly.

Rhino Rack will say "hey this involves drilling so that's a risk and it's your fault blah blah blah"

Never trust anyone when it comes to structural mods, I guess. At least until after warranty so it's a moot point.

Shit man, that sucks.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Yeah definitely a bummer. Sorry you are dealing with this. I am not surprised at all either that Jeep will not fix this under warranty. You lost them with the word "drill."
i had considered a frame-mounted rack for a RTT, but the drilling through the hard top scared me off. I figure at some point when my student loans are paid off and work gets back to normal to where if I have to drop$2k on a new hard top because it cracked maybe I will reconsider...

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Off Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 138 lbs *Due to the extreme forces acting on loads when driving on unsealed roads, Rhino-Rack reduces the stated off-road capacities to allow for a safety factor of 1.5. Forces and load capacities vary with trail conditions and speed of travel.

The two propane tanks alone would put you at 75 pounds plus whatever else. Regardless, the fact that this rack requires holes to be drilled in the hardtop would scare me off. And there's no way Jeep is going to warranty cracking in the hardtop after you drilled holes in it. Yes it sucks, but I just don't see how this is Jeep's fault.
I have this setup. https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system-long

Same rack, mounted differently. It's rated to 300lbs. I've had 250lbs on it for some pretty rugged back country trips.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Another problem the OP had was having to take his Wrangler to a dealer from which he didn't buy the vehicle. Getting most dealers to help is difficult enough if you're its customer, but when you buy from another dealer you are way down on the effort list. That aside, I have to agree with the numerous comments regarding drilling. That pretty negates the warranty.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
How many vehicles have you built? How many have you modified to have 4:1 and lockers front and rear that have the capability to traverse the kind of terrain a stock Rubicon JL can AND still be driveable on the street with creature comforts, a WARRANTY, decent mileage for the capability and all the tech upgrades to which consumers have become accustomed, not to mention safety features?

Man, some of you guys are either really bad at math or have no idea what building an offroad capable rig costs.
I knew it wouldn't be long until someone tried this BS line.

The fact that the Wrangler is capable of traversing terrain that only 0.01% of it's owners will ever even go near does not justify its price for the other 99.99%. It rides on an absolutely archaic platform with an ancient suspension and steering system, and comes with a standard features list comparable to a 1985 Blazer. None of this would be a problem, given it's capability, if it weren't priced in luxury SUV territory. To add insult to injury, it doesn't even meet the bar of "average" quality. Take $10k off the price, and get QC sorted, and the Wrangler would be a fantastic package.
You can drone on about "capability" from the enthusiast point of view all you want, but the bottom line remains the same - it makes a lot more sense for someone to start with a standard SUV or truck and build it for off-roading than to start with a Wrangler...for the overwhelming majority of people, you are going to get more capability, features, and quality for your dollar with just about anything else. The only niche where that flips is for someone like a Willy's buyer - someone who JUST wants an offroader and does not need ANY extra features.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

Jeep Wrangler JL 😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it! DA2463AE-68D9-4721-9170-00E291BC1952

Jeep Wrangler JL 😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it! DA2463AE-68D9-4721-9170-00E291BC1952

A marine guy should be able to fix that for you. They will grind out the crack on both sides, fill it with Sikaflex, let it cure for 24 hours, sand it smooth, then paint it for you.
Or ... you could do it yourself. Sikaflex is pretty easy to work with. Just make sure you're wearing a dust mask when you are grinding :)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's not subjective...the Wrangler is by far the most expensive entry in the mainstream midsize SUV class. It's too expensive.

Whether or not it's worth the money to someone doesn't change the fact that it's too expensive. It was worth the money to my wife, for instance...but even she admits that it's too expensive for what it is.

We're talking about two different things here.
So why did you buy one? Why are you here? You and the rest of us are literally the reason Jeep CAN charge what they do. You're literally contradicting yourself here. It's either worth the money or is too expensive. It can't be both.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
So why did you buy one? Why are you here? You and the rest of us are literally the reason Jeep CAN charge what they do. You're literally contradicting yourself here. It's either worth the money or is too expensive. It can't be both.
I'm not contradicting myself. You are missing the fact that we're talking about two different things.

Again - THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BUY SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN IT'S NOT TOO EXPENSIVE.

To answer your question, I bought one because it's what my wife wanted. And yes, i've bought my share of way too expensive vehicles. Like the $78k CTS-V I bought, and the $63k Tahoe...one thing I can say about both of those vehicles though is that they were absolutely trouble free for the entire time I had them. Still, way too expensive.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not contradicting myself. You are missing the fact that we're talking about two different things.

Again - THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BUY SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN IT'S NOT TOO EXPENSIVE.

To answer your question, I bought one because it's what my wife wanted. And yes, i've bought my share of way too expensive vehicles. Like the $78k CTS-V I bought, and the $63k Tahoe...one thing I can say about both of those vehicles though is that they were absolutely trouble free for the entire time I had them. Still, way too expensive.
But you didn't say willing to buy, you said worth the money. Are you back-pedaling now?