Sponsored

😡 2020 JLUR Hardtop Defect (CRACKED @ 1,250 MILES) Jeep Dealer & Jeep Cares Refuses to Warranty it!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

20200813_073639.jpg

20200813_073821 (1).jpg

20200813_073905 (1).jpg
The same thing happened to mine with a Maximus 3 setup. I realize now that they are all an inherently flawed design, and that the Exorack is the only way to go.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
This is the downside of the backbone system. It adds rigidity to a component that wasn't designed to be rigid. Theres lots of people who have them with no issues, but drilling through the fiberglass definitely creates the potential for stress cracks under normal flex.

Imo get a hard top take off and go external tube rack if you must have one.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Why does everyone who complains about a warranty problem HAVE to bring up what they paid for the vehicle. We don’t care what you paid. We all know what these rigs cost. Every time someone brings up “I paid $X for this and this shouldn’t happen” instantly makes me say “here we go again” and I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this.
No it's a VERY valid point as the prices that FCA charges for Wranglers are insane. For the price I paid for my wife's Wrangler I could have gotten a much nicer truck.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
marine grade epoxy, sand and touch up the best you can while you keep an eye out for a replacement .

Sorry to hear of the problem, but just like other issues FCA pulls the MOD caveat when needed.

Sponsored

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Bummer. I'd guess the rack has something to do with the cracking.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
No it's a VERY valid point as the prices that FCA charges for Wranglers are insane. For the price I paid for my wife's Wrangler I could have gotten a much nicer truck.
No, if you read what I posted, I said there is no reason to tell us what you paid....we ALREADY KNOW that Jeeps are expensive and have a damn good idea what it cost. I do agree, that Jeeps are expensive, but if you think you should have a "much nicer truck" for the money, go buy something else. Market demand allows FCA to charge too much and people will still buy. All I was saying was that every time someone mentions purchase price, they complain like it was a $200k vehicle. I knew before my purchase that FCA QC sucks and I was willing to roll the dice and hope that my Jeep was one that was built right.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
Unfortunately, the fact that the rack system requires drilling holes in the top, as well as the added rigidity of the backbone system is going to void the warranty on the top. It would be fairly easy to show the added stress of that or any load you had on it cracked the top.

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
as for calculating the load, Jeep probably doesn't even rate the panels for a load, that's what the rails are for, with the Jeep roof rack.

as a former dealer tech, i wouldn't even have looked at the crack. drilled holes? "no warranty on modified parts". period.

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share a very frustrating and disappointing experience with Jeep not warranting a defective hardtop on my new 2020 JLUR.

I purchased it on 06/23/20 from Mayse Automotive Group located in Missouri. I took my Jeep on an off-road drive (Ophir Pass), and after I got her home, I noticed the hardtop had cracked (see pics). I want to point out that I didn't even take it out of 2WD, which shows that the Rubicon is a BEAST off-road and that the trail was very mild. This happened at only 1,250 miles.

The only modification to the car was the installation of a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform with the backbone support system. The backbone was installed with the hardtop bolts torqued to the OEM specified 88 in/lb. The most weight put on the rack was 2 paddleboards and 2 20lb propane cylinders. Nothing struck the top, and the top has never been off the vehicle — no signs of damage other than the crack on the outside and inside.

I live in Colorado, so I can't really drive the 24 hours (round trip) to go to the original dealer. I went to AutoNation Jeep West in Golden, Colorado, to warranty this and a defective park sense wiring harness. They looked at it for less than 5 minutes and said, "We've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way it could be a defect. It is because of an outside influence." Then the dealer said, "because it's not a defect, it's not covered under your warranty."

I've heard great feedback from forum members that Jeep Cares helps customers solve problems like this, problems that Jeep dealers through up their hands and do nothing to help. So I called Jeep Cares. Well, it's with great frustration and disappointment to report that Jeep Cares just told me that the crack was due to an "outside influence" and that "it is not warrantable." This is despite my representative saying, "Well, it's definitely not a defect because there isn't a crack on the inside." To which I said, THERE IS A CRACK ON THE INSIDE, EXACTLY BEHIND THE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE." She then said, "Oh, I see that in the picture now. "Still, we've deemed it to be an outside influence." Really?! [Dumbfounded Now 🤔]. They offered to repair it at a discount, but it would still cost me $1,600 out of pocket. WTF!

I'm sure you can all imagine my frustration and disappointment that this happened with my new $58K Jeep. 😡

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. Ask if you've ever seen any defects like this and, if so, if it was remedied/warrantied by Jeep?
  2. I want other members to know what the bad side of working with Jeep Cares looks like.
Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

20200813_073639.jpg

20200813_073821 (1).jpg

20200813_073905 (1).jpg
No way dude, not gonna happen

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
if you think you should have a "much nicer truck" for the money, go buy something else. Market demand allows FCA to charge too much and people will still buy.
It's not a matter of what I or anyone "thinks". It's not a subjective matter. FCA charges too much, period. That means that people are well within their rights to complain about it and if you don't like it, then just scroll on by.

Just because we know FCA quality control sucks doesn't mean we can't still complain.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a matter of what I or anyone "thinks". It's not a subjective matter. FCA charges too much, period. That means that people are well within their rights to complain about it and if you don't like it, then just scroll on by.

Just because we know FCA quality control sucks doesn't mean we can't still complain.
They don’t charge too much, “period,” because people still buy jeeps. If they had 300+ day’s worth of inventory on dealer lots, then I could entertain the argument that they charge too much.

Of course people are within their rights to complain about FCA quality control but it looks kinda silly coming from people who already voted with their wallets. you want FCA to listen? Go buy a Bronco and never return. Money talks... and just talk is cheap.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito

Wow, practice what you preach. First you say it's not a subjective matter yet you complain about the Jeep not being quality for the cost......THAT'S SUBJECTIVE to you. Others may feel that the Jeep was worth the money. Then you feel the need to say if you don't like it, scroll on by. You can easily do that to what I posted, but felt the need to respond. So, hypocritical much?
Sponsored