Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Something that I have been meaning to post about.. It really is a good idea to routinely, monitor/check on your JL's batteries.

Sure, you can buy a pricey metering tool... You can learn to use it ....you can lug it around out on the trails and around town...

Rather then that pricey, larger footprint, metering tool, consider this outfit that is a no brainer to use, takes up little space, handles wear and tear and the elements.. Just toss this outfit in the glove box, etc..

If you want. you can also easily hard wire it right at the battery and Velcro the little meter to the battery blanket and leave it there 24/7/365, so at anytime you can easily spot check battery(s) voltage.

Click pic to enlarge..
20230108_103754.jpg

The little quality, easy to use, LED readout meter is a Deltran Battery Tender Voltage Indicator Battery Tester, LCD Display with LED Charge Indicator. The meter is sold on eBAY at a decent price here..

Click pics to enlarge..
20230108_104023.jpg
20230108_104031.jpg
20230108_104106.jpg
I agree that checking battery voltage every now and then is useful.

I agree that the linked tool is as good as any to do so.

Where I take issue is the technique owners may use to apply this tool in a diagnostically useful way.

To point: stick this device on the main battery's leads and what it will read is--provided you haven't deleted your ESS/Aux battery and otherwise have one in your model JL, is a composite voltage of both batteries....which you can get from your EVIC screen.

It may be more useful to temporarily disconnect the factory black cable that connects to the negative lead of the main battery, that is NOT the one connected on the other end to the body ground, and then put a device like the one linked prior up to the main battery's terminals, it will read the main battery's voltage only, not a composite of both battery's voltages.

Be careful not to touch this dangling cable to ground/metal, but shift the voltage meter's negative side to this dangling cable (even as you keep its positive side on the main battery) and you'll get a voltage read of only the ESS battery (where equipped.)

Don't forget to put that battery cable back.

Finally, voltage is a great first method to test a battery, but load testing (with a load tester) is the gold standard--also involving the same cable disconnects discussed above for isolating the two battery's independent voltages.
Sponsored

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco

Wes420

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel; 2015 JKU Sahara
I can say with certainty that the Duralast H7 main and AUX 14 fit in the JLURDs. Super simple swap. Just have an E5 torq socket to change over the posts for the AUX.

EC816788-5ADC-41E6-B8D1-FDF098B71B76.jpeg

7CA7D25A-09CE-49E3-82EF-66CFCFE97B9F.jpeg

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can say with certainty that the Duralast H7 main and AUX 14 fit in the JLURDs. Super simple swap. Just have an E5 torq socket to change over the posts for the AUX.

EC816788-5ADC-41E6-B8D1-FDF098B71B76.jpeg

7CA7D25A-09CE-49E3-82EF-66CFCFE97B9F.jpeg

For other's reading this...

Yes, for the 2, Aux battery studs .... you'd use a Star socket or to remove the studs or you can also use two properly sized nuts....... Screw them on the stud and lock them / tighten to each other... now / then reverse the bottom one and the stud will unscrew from the battery.

Another hint...... measure how far each stud actually protrudes out of the old aux battery. When you place the studs in the new aux, be sure you place them so the height is the same same as when in the old aux.

Sponsored

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
In the tow package JLs, is there anything like the cleat from the non-two package models? I just ripped my OEM H6 out for an Odyssey 94R. Ignore the mess.

Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« FD6768A3-089E-4F8D-BAE0-45D13F0F57B0

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the tow package JLs, is there anything like the cleat from the non-two package models? I just ripped my OEM H6 out for an Odyssey 94R. Ignore the mess.

FD6768A3-089E-4F8D-BAE0-45D13F0F57B0.jpeg
@kakwvu

Tow package or not, you will find the cleat.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Last edited:

Wes420

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel; 2015 JKU Sahara

Sponsored

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Just replaced my Gladiator's (2020 Launch Edition) main battery with the Costco Interstate AGM - great price (~$140.00) and a 3-year warranty even here in AZ. I removed fuse 42 and the Aux Battery negative ground connection to the Main Battery. Jeep started up and everything's good so far except rear view camera isn't functioning (yet?). I didn't see any info on reprogramming the Jeep after changing the battery - do I need to do anything or will the camera start functioning again? <Edit: camera started back up after a restart or two>

My thanks to @Rhinebeck01 and @Jebiruph (both get my special recognition) for your great contributions and to everyone else who has made these kinds of threads helpful and educational!

Notes: Battery cover fit over the new one which was a surprise. Only challenge I had was removing the positive terminal connector - wasn't clear on how to best pull it free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just replaced my Gladiator's (2020 Launch Edition) main battery with the Costco Interstate AGM - great price and a 3-year warranty even here in AZ. I removed fuse 42 and the Aux Battery negative ground connection to the Main Battery. Jeep started up and everything's good so far except rear view camera isn't functioning (yet?). I didn't see any info on reprogramming the Jeep after changing the battery - do I need to do anything or will the camera start functioning again?

My thanks to @Rhinebeck01 and @Jebiruph (both get my special recognition) for your great contributions and to everyone else who has made these kinds of threads helpful and educational!

Notes: Battery cover fit over the new one which was a surprise. Only challenge I had was removing the positive terminal connector - wasn't clear on how to best pull it free.
@WhatExit?

You are Welcome... glad the posts were helpful...

Read here about how to easily release the pos bundle.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ry-replacement-talk-jl-jt.100534/post-2081131

About your camera --> You can do a fuse pull if you do not to wait... but after your JL is turned on and off a few times, the camera will start working again. (Unless there is a real hardware issue, etc.)

You can sometimes hurry things along lets say....... Pull fuse F97 while your JL is running, wait say 10-15 seconds and then plug the fuse back in... now turn off the JL and then restart it... that usually, will get your cam right back.

Yellow arrow points to F97
Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« F97 fuse marked

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
@WhatExit?

You are Welcome... glad the posts were helpful...

Read here about how to easily release the pos bundle.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/πŸ”‹πŸ”§-main-battery-replacement-talk-jl-jt.100534/post-2081131

About your camera --> You can do a fuse pull if you do not to wait... but after your JL is turned on and off a few times, the camera will start working again. (Unless there is a real hardware issue, etc.)

You can sometimes hurry things along lets say....... Pull fuse F97 while your JL is running, wait say 10-15 seconds and then plug the fuse back in... now turn off the JL and then restart it... that usually, will get your cam right back.

Yellow arrow points to F97
F97 fuse marked.jpg

You're the best thanks! I'm glad to hear the camera will come back on.

I saw your pic (reposted below) of the POS but still didn't understand what to press to release it when it was attached to the battery post. <Edit: Now I see - it looks like the black plastic L-angle is what you're referring to>. I loosened the small nut on next to the connection - I assumed that's what holds the connection onto the POS post. There was the black plastic L-shaped bracket under the POS connection and I was able to reuse it putting it back into place under the connection. Anyway, got it done so thanks again!

Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« pos-retainer-clip-

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You're the best thanks! I'm glad to hear the camera will come back on.
Yep, @Rhinebeck01 is one of the best around here, saved me a few headaches and some cash too!
He does so much homework on these JLs so we don't have to πŸ‘ :like:πŸ™

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« pos-retainer-clip-

Main battery replacement on a stock JL/JT....

A JL or JT with tow package leaves the factory with an H7-AGM Group Size 94R Main battery.

A JL or JT without the tow package leaves the factory with a Group 48 H6 Main battery, which is a tad shorter in length then the H7-AGM Group Size 94R.

With that said, if you go to install an H7-AGM Group Size 94R battery in a JL or JT that left the factory with a Group 48 H6 battery you will, in order to install the H7, have to remove a small plastic stay/cleat you will find in the bottom of the Main's battery holder box. The stay/cleat comes out very easily.

For those replacing your JL or JT's Main battery... you are best served going with a higher CCA H7 versus installing a lesser CCA H6. Should also mention that often you will find the H7 costs the same as an H6.

Note: When buying an H7 is is prudent to first remove your current Main battery and measure the length of the box with the plastic stay removed. Compare that length measurement to the physical length of the H7 battery you are thinking about buying..

DO, bring the Main battery you are replacing with you to the auto parts store, as they will take it and then you will not be charged a "core charge". (Approx. $10)

Here is a list of some H7's that are known to fit the JL/JT Main battery box with the stay/cleat removed:
(List Updated 10/17/22)

• Interstate MTX-94R/H7 80 Ah AGM 850 CCA
  • Odyssey Performance AGM94R H7 L4 840 CCA
  • Super Start Platinum H7 SSB94RPLT 800 CCA
  • Napa P/N 9894R H7 800 CCA
  • Batteries+ X2 Power H7 Group 94R SLI94RAGMDP 840 CCA
  • EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 94 H7 850 CCA (Walmart)
  • Optima YELLOWTOP AGM YEL94R DH7 Group 94 880 CCA
  • DieHard Platinum AGM Lead Acid Battery, Group H7 850 CCA
  • Motomaster Eliminator AGM Group Size 94R (H7/L4) 800 CCA

If you installed an H7 AGM battery and it properly fit the Main battery box on a JL/JT and it is not on the list above..... Please post below and let everyone know. I will update the list to include the one you mention.

- - - -
For Aux battery change the easy way and more battery related info read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Hi,
Add in the Duracell AGM 94R H7 800 CCA (Sam's Club), Good fit, Battery blanket fits over nicely, 3 yr replacement, Recent Price in MI (yesterday) $189.88 plus core. Also going to put the Duralast Platinum Aux14 from Autozone (3 yr replacement) $109 plus core. Hard to find the better AUX 14 warranties and batteries on shelves for that matter, so it was this or the AC Delco. Good 3 year pairing since that's all we get from these anyways in this system. Main battery failure for me so I swapped that last night and will do the AUX tomorrow when I have some time to pull the fender. Currently running with pulled fuse 42 and disconnected/isolated Aux negative. 2020 Rubicon, 3.6L/tow package, bought Nov 2019 so I was due and was getting the Aux switch warning in the last 1-2 weeks. Batteries voltage tested around 12.38-12.42.
Sponsored