Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed "Motomaster Eliminator" H7 battery on my JLU Sahara. It fit like stock after I removed the stay clip that was in there for the stock 600CCA battery. The new battery is 800CCA, and comes with a 5 year no questions asked replacement warranty if the battery is not holding charge as well as before.

Stop/start works consistently and I have about 11 stops on my daily school drop/pickup runs. My around-town fuel efficiency has jumped from 14.5mpg to 16mpg.

MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR AGM Group Size 94R (H7/L4) Auto/Car/Truck Battery, 800 CCA | Canadian Tire -$265 CAD

Jeep Wrangler JL 🔋🔧  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT 🪫 1664209947158
Sponsored

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I want to replace my Factory 3 year old battery with a good new battery before winter comes.
I prefer the Optima Gel Batteries. I see that the Optima YELLOWTOP AGM YEL94R DH7 Group 94 880 CCA is on your recommended list, but I am wondering if this battery for sure would be good if I get a winch.
Does anyone know?
Also, is it preferable to get a battery with side posts as well as top posts to be able to attach the winch cables to it?
Appreciate any thoughts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I want to replace my Factory 3 year old battery with a good new battery before winter comes.
I prefer the Optima Gel Batteries. I see that the Optima YELLOWTOP AGM YEL94R DH7 Group 94 880 CCA is on your recommended list, but I am wondering if this battery for sure would be good if I get a winch.
Does anyone know?
Also, is it preferable to get a battery with side posts as well as top posts to be able to attach the winch cables to it?
Appreciate any thoughts.
The top terminals on the stock JL battery have a lot of space on the conductive tabs to mount your cables.

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Optimas are AGM, not gel. Gel is very uncommon on car batteries. And Optima is very specific about not using the additional side posts for winch hookup as they are not rated for the high amp loads. Furthermore, many people use starting batteries (Red Top) for winches, but Optima specifies deep cycle batteries (Yellow and Blue Tops).

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I installed almost 2 weeks ago, and it’s a perfect fit, no problems. Off-road pages are reading 14.5 when running. Good battery, I believe it’s still $159.
Good info, post updates if any issues (or if you're just continuing to be a happy buyer :) )

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed almost 2 weeks ago, and it’s a perfect fit, no problems. Off-road pages are reading 14.5 when running. Good battery, I believe it’s still $159.
Is it the Optima Yellow Top that you installed?
What did you do about the cover on the old battery?
Did you re-use it or just toss it?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've disconnected the auxiliary battery. The main battery is very low. I can jump it with my battery pack, but I need to know if I run the Jeep with a very low main battery (so I can go to the store to buy a new one) can it do any harm to the Jeep to run it without a good solid working battery in it for about 40 miles?

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
No harm....it should be charging while driving as long as it can take a charge??? Get a new battery, don't reconnect that dumb small battery and all will be well.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Just replaced my main battery with an Interstate MTX-94R/H7. Fit like a glove, and the cover fit as it should.

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just replaced my main battery with an Interstate MTX-94R/H7. Fit like a glove, and the cover fit as it should.
Did you have the tow package on your Jeep? I think that the only Jeeps that come with H7 batteries have the tow package.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Did you have the tow package on your Jeep? I think that the only Jeeps that come with H7 batteries have the tow package.
@WrangleDangle

A JL or JT with tow package leaves the factory with an H7-AGM Group Size 94R Main battery.

A JL or JT without the tow package leaves the factory with a Group 48 H6 Main battery, which is a tad shorter in length then the H7-AGM Group Size 94R.

With that said, if you go to install an H7-AGM Group Size 94R battery in a JL or JT that left the factory with a Group 48 H6 battery you will, in order to install the H7, have to remove a small plastic stay/cleat you will find in the bottom of the Main's battery holder box. The stay/cleat comes out very easily.
Sponsored