Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
We did just fine:

https://www.autoblog.com/article/best-resale-value-cars-slowest-depreciation/
and
https://www.iseecars.com/cars-that-hold-their-value-study

Cars with the best resale value in

iSeeCars, an analytics and car shopping firm, runs several research studies throughout the year to judge car prices and trends, and its latest depreciation study holds a few surprises.

The vehicles with the lowest depreciation — or best resale value — over five years:
  1. Jeep Wrangler: -7.3%
  2. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: -8.7%
  3. Porsche 911: -14.6%
  4. Toyota Tacoma: -14.9%
  5. Honda Civic: -16.3%
  6. Subaru BRZ: -18.2%
  7. Ford Mustang: -19.4%
  8. Toyota Corolla: -19.8%
  9. Nissan Versa: -19.9%
  10. Chevrolet Camaro: -20.2%
Most models on the slowest depreciation list will come as no surprise to anyone with even a passing interest in cars and shopping. Popular vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler, Porsche 911, Toyota Tacoma, and Honda Civic comprise the list of slowest depreciating vehicles over five years, while a who’s-who of luxury brands brings up the rear. The Jeep Wrangler depreciated slowest, losing just 7.3 percent of its value over five years, when the overall market shows a 33 percent average depreciation over the same period.

Amazingly, when you look at just the first three years after new cars leave dealer lots, you discover that some vehicles actually appreciated:
  1. Porsche 911: +5.7% increase
  2. Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: +2.5% increase
  3. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: +2.0% increase
  4. Porsche 718 Cayman: +1.8% increase
  5. Jeep Wrangler: +0.3% increase
The Porsche 911, Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Porsche 718 Cayman, and Jeep Wrangler grew in value over their new MSRPs by as much as 5.7 percent — which represents $11,373 over the original MSRP in the case of the 911. iSeeCars found that midsize trucks, sports cars, and fuel-efficient vehicles held their values best. "The market is pricing late-model used cars as though they were new. If shoppers can’t buy a new car, the next closest thing is a used car with low miles, thus the appreciation in value for these cars," according to Karl Brauer, executive analyst for iSeeCars.
Sponsored

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
With Jeeps I think it is because of their design simplicity. It is one of the few cars that that doesn't look like sh!t once a new model comes out. Average non-jeep person can't tell the difference between a JK & JL, especially if one has been modded some.

This means you can drive them a long time and still feel good about the car. In addition, since they aren't over loaded with tech / electronics they also seem to hold up pretty well over the years.

Some cars just age well and I think Jeep Wranglers, much like 911s, have a design that ages nicely which keeps values up.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Surprised, I thought 4runner was always on this list. Camaro and mustang made the list? Weird times indeed.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised, I thought 4runner was always on this list. Camaro and mustang made the list? Weird times indeed.
Indeed, Tundra and 4Runner are usually on that list, right below Tacoma. I wonder what has changed.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I wonder if that's 7.3% over 5 years or each year. Must be over the full 5 years because I don't see 5 year old JLs being worth 37% less than new.

I just ran the KBB and my private part is $47,995 which is a few hundred more than I paid for the car. Can't be upset about that. Heck even my trade in is $45k, just 4.3% less than I paid. (so yeah, in 2 years being at 7.2% sounds reasonable at this rate._

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe he something to do with the new model coming out.
Could be. I read that Toyota upset a lot of long-time Tundra owners by dropping the 5.7 V8.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
With Jeeps I think it is because of their design simplicity. It is one of the few cars that that doesn't look like sh!t once a new model comes out.

Average non-jeep person can't tell the difference between a JK & JL,...
Depending on the angle at which I'm looking at it, I still occasionally have to take a moment to process whether I'm looking at a JKU versus a JLU.

The foregoing is true for the hardtops only. To say it politely, the JK-era soft top is easy to ID it for what it is.

Camaro and mustang made the list? Weird times indeed.
I thought the same thing. The Mustang is a commodity. The Camaro is so infrequently observed on the road that its presence on the list is indeed curious.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
I thought the same thing. The Mustang is a commodity. The Camaro is so infrequently observed on the road that its presence on the list is indeed curious.
What do you mean by this? Mustangs sell in far less quantities than the Wrangler (1 Mustang to every 4 Wranglers approximately). I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely curious what you mean.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What do you mean by this? Mustangs sell in far less quantities than the Wrangler (1 Mustang to every 4 Wranglers approximately). I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely curious what you mean.
Mustangs are as common as flies here. The ratio is the inverse of the sales figures you mention: 4+ Mustangs observed for every one Wrangler.

By extension, their sheer numbers translates to a used market that, if not exactly saturated, isn't one that has ever suffered for choice. That's the detail that suggests the model's presence on the Least Depreciation list as something seemingly anomalous: their robust valuations not being linkable to low numbers that they don't possess. That they're non-practical coupes with functionally useless back seats is simply additive here. Yes, the Porsche 911 on the list can also be described thusly, but it's a Porsche, not a Ford.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I wonder if the final generation Shelby gt350 is pulling a large share of that weight, as it is the one modern muscle care most experts agree will be a true collector car 30y from now...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang sales have been in a tailspin for the past several years.

As fewer units get sold, those who buy one tend to be more staunchly loyal. Loyal customers are a brand’s most profitable: they are more likely to buy higher-content vehicles, and more willing to pay full price.
Sponsored