Sponsored

🟢 ➿ Security Gateway Extension Cable use explained..➿

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Re-read slow / carefully what I posed in the original post. When you get your JL and you see all you will get it. If not let me know and I will get with you on this hook-up

Remember..... the security gateway extension cable from ZAutomotive is a mere extension cable and is used to extend the security gateway connection so you have easier access.. The Tazer JL does not... again does not ever plug into that security gateway extension cable..
I believe you said it as the extension cable is for the security gateway, not an extension for the two cables you pull off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I believe you said it as the extension cable is for the security gateway, not an extension for the two cables you pull off.
Yes, the ZAutomotive security gateway bypass extension cable 2 ends, connect directly to the 2 connection points at the security gateway itself.

The ZAutomotive security gateway bypass extension cable does not connect to the 2 cables that you disconnected directly from the security gateway.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Any why buy this? Because it is a royal pain in the ass and fingers to remove the OEM plugs and you will only want to do it once!
Absolutely! I have large hands and getting to the SGW is more than a royal pain.

I do not leave my ECRI installed (I only use JSCAN) so my SGW OEM cables are plugged into the Tazer extension cable which is in turn plugged into the SGW.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely! I have large hands and getting to the SGW is more than a royal pain.

I do not leave my ECRI installed (I only use JSCAN) so my SGW OEM cables are plugged into the Tazer extension cable which is in turn plugged into the SGW.
I was really surprised when I read in a post you made yesterday where you said you do not leave your security gateway bypass plugged in all the time.

Is there a reason why? I can think of a few reasons why I leave my SGW bypass connected full time.

First time I had my JL go into limp mode I was sure glad I could just quickly, without a lot of fuss lets say, plug my BT OBDll scan tool in and clear the code/make changes.. and get my JL in short order, moving normally again.. That is one reason..

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was really surprised when I read in a post you made yesterday where you said you do not leave your security gateway bypass plugged in all the time.

Is there a reason why? I can think of a few reasons why I leave my SGW bypass connected full time.

First time I had my JL go into limp mode I was sure glad I could just quickly, without a lot of fuss lets say, plug my BT OBDll scan tool in and clear the code/make changes.. and get my JL in short order, moving normally again.. That is one reason..
It's in the Jeep so it's available whenever needed. I am a "minimalist" guy when it comes to things like this (hence my rationale for dumping the Tazer) ergo, no value to leaving it connected (for me).

Besides, unless I am not understanding what you are saying, it means your SGW would be disconnected and could cause errors. Correct me if I'm not understanding...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's in the Jeep so it's available whenever needed. I am a "minimalist" guy when it comes to things like this (hence my rationale for dumping the Tazer) ergo, no value to leaving it connected (for me).

Besides, unless I am not understanding what you are saying, it means your SGW would be disconnected and could cause errors. Correct me if I'm not understanding...
Seems you have some misconceptions. For one, unplugged gateway does not cause errors.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems you have some misconceptions. For one, unplugged gateway does not cause errors.
That might be the only one, but I thought someone posted without a Tazer connected and leaving the gateway disconnected was an issue.

If not, all good, but everything else I said was correct.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That might be the only one, but I thought someone posted without a Tazer connected and leaving the gateway disconnected was an issue.

If not, all good, but everything else I said was correct.
When you install a Tazer JL, you unplug the two cables from the security gateway.

The two disconnected cables get plugged into the Tazer JL or your security gateway bypass module. Do this and no, no errors.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you install a Tazer JL, you unplug the two cables from the security gateway.

The two disconnected cables get plugged into the Tazer JL or your security gateway bypass module. Do this and no, no errors.
Yeah, I know, just like if you use JSCAN, you plug them into the ECRI SGW bypass. But, if you remove the Tazer or ECRI SGW Bypass and don't plug the OEM cables back into the OEM SGW gateway...there could be issues as noted by someone here in the forum. I have never tried it.

Last edited:

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
Well, shit!
Guess I have to do that all over!
Thanks

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Any why buy this? Because it is a royal pain in the ass and fingers to remove the OEM plugs and you will only want to do it once!
You're not kidding. My knuckles were all cut up trying to remove those stupid OEM plugs. After much profanity, I asked my wife for help.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Well, 5 forum posts in the last week or so that had guys confused and asking questions, ect. in regard to how to use the security gateway extension cable they purchased from ZAutomotive...

Well, figured I would type this out and then refer guy's/gals to this thread when I see similar posts.

Anyway, you buy the ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable here and it looks like this...
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/
bypass extension cable.jpg

When the ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable arrives at your place, you disconnect the 2 connectors at the security gateway (see picture below, connectors are circled in red) and then you plug the two connector's from the one end of your ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable into the security gateway.

This leaves you with a 12" or so ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable cable hooked up to the security gateway/hanging down, that hooks up to nothing... again, hooks up to nothing..

gateway.JPG

NOW.... now you take the 2 factory cables/connectors that you unplugged from the security gateway and you plug those 2 cables into your Tazer JL or your ECRI dedicated bypass module...

That is it..... again, NOTHING ends up plugged into the end of the ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable....
That extension that lies there in wait with nothing plugged into it until the day comes when you want to remove the Tazer JL or dedicated security gateway bypass... when you lets say take the Jeep to the dealership service department.

OK.... DEALERSHIP VISIT day ..... Unmarry your Tazer JL .... now, disconnect the two cables that plug into the Tazer JL and you take those 2 unplugged cables and plug them into the end of your ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable that has been sitting there waiting... waiting for the day when you needed to use it.

You take the ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable with the 2 security gateway cables plugged into it and tuck it up neatly so as it is not conspicuous ... so the Tech does not notice it....

After you leave the dealer.... unplug the 2 cables from the end of the extension cable and plug them back into the Tazer JL or back into your dedicated security gateway. That ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable, once again just hangs there with nothing plugged into it until the next time you need to use it..

Remember/IMPORTANT..... the security gateway extension cable from ZAutomotive is a mere extension cable and is used to extend the security gateway connection, so you have easier/faster access.. The Tazer JL does not... again does not, ever plug into that ZAutomotiver security gateway extension cable..

Do consider getting a holder for your Tazer JL or your ECRI dedicated security gateway bypass... A holder that fastens to the JL with a screw and holds you Tazer JL or ECRI is a real plus..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/under-100-gifts-for-jeepers.105170/post-2307495 @JO DYRT

View attachment 733479
image000000_20230330_201235.png
Very well written.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable...

IMPORTANT:
The ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable does not attach to the Tazer JL itself. (or to a security gateway bypass module)

The Tazer JL or your ECRI or Flashcal, security gateway bypass module stays attached as shown in the picture.

The ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable plugs into the security gateway and just hangs there with nothing attached until you need to use it, say when you go to a Jeep dealership/ remove the Tazer JL, etc.. (Read the original/1st post in the thread)

Close-up pic of the ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable:
Jeep Wrangler JL 🟢 ➿ Security Gateway Extension Cable use explained..➿ 567909

A holder for your Tazer JL or ECRI security gateway bypass module is a plus to have..
Jeep Wrangler JL 🟢 ➿ Security Gateway Extension Cable use explained..➿ iokpl;
Jeep Wrangler JL 🟢 ➿ Security Gateway Extension Cable use explained..➿ image000000_20230330_201235

Last edited:

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
I'm still learning...what is an ECRI & what does it do different than a Tazer?
Sponsored