Sponsored

✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates mmmm

For those that have a OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner, do keep the firmware on it current!

Regardless of Bluetooth OBD2 scanner you own/use ... Do keep it's firmware current if your particular scanner tool allows for firmware updates.

In regard to the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner:

Only takes about a minute or so to do, using the OBDLink app on your smartphone.

Just plug in your OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner into the OBDll port and then press your JL's ignition button to run.... THEN --->To install an update via the OBDLink app, navigate to 'Settings' > 'Firmware Updates', then click 'Check For Updates' .

Read here:
https://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_mxp/

On edit: .......... As of 4/12/24 -> Latest firmware version is 5.10.3
Level of Importance:
Recommended
Release Date: January 31, 2024

Sponsored

Last edited:

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Thanks for this! I never even downloaded their app since I was using JSCAN...even though I just bought it less than a month ago the firmware was out of date.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@blink9cd

Doing the firmware updates is important...

Right now, as of 7/23/22 ....apparently the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner has fallen out of graces a bit so to speak with the developer/Tech at JSCAN in Poland.

JSCAN support is now saying that the knock off, less expensive, VLINKER MC+ is presently preferred over the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner and that they are hoping a firmware update will again make the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner, shine so to speak.

Read this screen shot yanked from Facebook, where you see the JSCAN Team talking.. See the word firmware update used at the end of the spew.

Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates 239k

*********************************************************************************

I sent the OBDLink Team a link to this thread and asked that they contact JSCAN and find out what is a muck. https://www.obdlink.com/contact-us/

Reactions: RZ.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reminder. For anyone with the Vgate Icar Pro (which was rec'd to me on here) you can get the firmware at https://vgatemall.com/ although I can't tell what I need to download

edit: Nvm, just found the iCarPro one. Not sure how I'm supposed to update this without a windows laptop, I don't have enough range to the device from my windows desktop

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reminder. For anyone with the Vgate Icar Pro (which was rec'd to me on here) you can get the firmware at https://vgatemall.com/ although I can't tell what I need to download
@swozey

Suggest you use the VGATE app on your smartphone to do the firmware update. (I assume there is an app for that VGATE unit)

With ignition to on and your VGATE plugged into the OBD2 port, open the smartphone app and go to settings and find firmware/firmware upgrade option. Do the firmware update. Careful do not power down the JL/turn it off or remove the VGATE until you are completely sure the firmware update has completed.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@swozey

Suggest you use the VGATE app on your smartphone to do the firmware update. (I assume there is an app for that VGATE unit)

With ignition to on and your VGATE plugged into the OBD2 port, open the smartphone app and go to settings and find firmware/firmware upgrade option. Do the firmware update. Careful do not power down the JL/turn it off or remove the VGATE until you are completely sure the firmware update has completed.

Thanks I I just checked the apple app store and there's a "VgateFWUpdater" so hopefully this gets me going. THanks!

edit: Hm this app doesn't seem like its made for the Icar. It asks you to scan a bar code instead of just checking for a BT connection. Oh well.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Doing the firmware updates is important...

Right now, as of 7/23/22 ....apparently the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner has fallen out of graces a bit so to speak with the developer/Tech at JSCAN in Poland.
@Rhinebeck01 - does the latest F/W fix the issues or no? Going to check mine today to see where I am.

EDIT: I am at 5.6.19 (which I assume to be one version back).

I am curious as to what issues JSCAN refers. I am also not sure what they mean by advanced settings as there is no differentiation in the app (unless I am overlooking it).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 - does the latest F/W fix the issues or no? Going to check mine today to see where I am.

EDIT: I am at 5.6.19 (which I assume to be one version back).

I am curious as to what issues JSCAN refers. I am also not sure what they mean by advanced settings as there is no differentiation in the app (unless I am overlooking it).
@CarbonSteel

No the current firmware apparently offers no fix to whatever JSCAN reps are talking about.

I'd still update the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner to the current firmware.

Here is the response I got back from OBDLink rep's on Friday after business hrs..

I emailed OBD Link ... the company and I gave them a link to this thread and the screen shot of what the JSCAN reps said.
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates oo

Last edited:

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
@CarbonSteel

No the current firmware apparently offers no fix to whatever JSCAN reps are talking about.

I'd still update the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner to the current firmware.

Here is the response I got back from OBDLink rep's on Friday after business hrs..

I emailed OBD Link ... the company and I gave them a link to this thread and the screen shot of what the JSCAN reps said.
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates oo
Thanks for following up with them. So far it's worked for everything I've needed but doubt I've done anything "advanced" yet.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@other's

Well good news... The company OBDLink has a firmware update in the works. They contacted Poland/JSCAN per my encouraging them to do so and Poland/JSCAN told them what needed to be worked on/supported.

Here is a contents of an the email I just received today 8/5/22 3:52 pm EST from Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink.

"Hi Bill,

I apologize for the delay. We have contacted JScan and have determined what command needs to be supported to resolve this issue.
My firmware guys are working on this and will have a firmware update next week. We will let you know when this firmware update is available for download.

Kind regards,
Jason "

Screen Shot of actual email:
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates zz66

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@other's

Well good news... The company OBDLink has a firmware update in the works. They contacted Poland/JSCAN per my encouraging them to do so and Poland/JSCAN told them what needed to be worked on/supported.

Here is a contents of an the email I just received today 8/5/22 3:52 pm EST from Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink.

"Hi Bill,

I apologize for the delay. We have contacted JScan and have determined what command needs to be supported to resolve this issue.
My firmware guys are working on this and will have a firmware update next week. We will let you know when this firmware update is available for download.

Kind regards,
Jason "

Screen Shot of actual email:
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates zz66
Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates 61fnZfZ722L._AC_SX466_

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@zrickety
@other's

Just keeping you guy's in the loop.. Looks like wheel's are in motion so to speak..

6am this morning 8/6/22,
Grzesiek Wilku Wilczek the JSCAN Tech Support guy, in Warsaw, Poland, Facebook messaged me and confirmed what Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink had told me yesterday ... that OBDLink had in fact had been in contact with the JSCAN developer in Poland regarding the issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates 49000

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@zrickety
@other's

Just keeping you guy's in the loop.. Looks like wheel's are in motion so to speak..

6am this morning 8/6/22,
Grzesiek Wilku Wilczek the JSCAN Tech Support guy, in Warsaw, Poland, Facebook messaged me and confirmed what Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink had told me yesterday ... that OBDLink had in fact had been in contact with the JSCAN developer in Poland regarding the issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL ✅ Important❗️ Update your Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner! - ✔️Firmware Updates 49000
I don't have JSCAN but I do have an obdlink lx that is my goto CEL scanner. Also have a BlueDriver that is supposed do some of these features. Watching the thread, thanks!

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@zrickety
@other's

8/9/22 7:12 pm EST

I just received another email from Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink ..

"Hi Bill,

Thank you for your patience. We are wrapping up the firmware and creating a release candidate. We will be sending it to JScan and other app developers for approval before making it publicly available. I'll keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Jason "

Last edited:

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
@CarbonSteel
@blink9cd
@zrickety
@other's

8/9/22 7:12 pm EST

I just received another email from Jason Smith Director of Engineering at OBDLink ..

"Hi Bill,

Thank you for your patience. We are wrapping up the firmware and creating a release candidate. We will be sending it to JScan and other app developers for approval before making it publicly available. I'll keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Jason "
Great to hear they're really keeping up on it. I'm still curious to learn what's actually getting fixed
Sponsored