Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
The announcement from Jeep was short on numbers but nevertheless these are not concept vehicles. This is an announcement regarding upcoming major changes to their product catalog. The Recon is not interesting to me as a consumer. But the fact that Jeep came out swinging with their progress on electrification made me take another look at Stellantis as a potential investment. The STLA stock is trading at 2.7x P/E ratio and offers an 8% dividend. It’s debt to equity ratio is 0.4 compared to Ford’s 2.9. Somehow STLA is cranking out new models with gusto, both ICE and BEV models. Tavares is measured and consistent and practical in his pronouncements regarding how he thinks about the future of the automobile industry. But the modest talk is in contrast to the aggressive product portfolio expansion we have witnessed, at least from the Jeep brand.

I decided to take up a small position in STLA NV today.
Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
As a Sport S owner who can probably afford more than the average Rubicon owner, I respect this comment. Oh, and btw, you own a Sahara. :LOL:
HA! Yes, the pecking order is real! Unlike the self proclaimed “lowly” Sport crowd, you don’t see many “Lowly 392 XR” threads for a reason:idea:

leehylton

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
How much did your electric bill increase? Curious to see someone with real world results on percentage of increase on electric bill.
I can't speak to the 4xe specifically because I don't own one. I do have a Tesla Model Y Performance though and on a $300ish a month power bill, my gas bill went to $0 and my power bill went up about $20 for around 700 miles/month. Charging off-peak hours is pretty economical.

uwhusky1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Remember the Ford Probe and the Porsche 928? The Probe was supposed to replace the Mustang but never did. The 928 was supposed to replace the 911. I wonder if the Recon is the same idea?

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
I can't put an ursa on it. I'll keep the 4xE until battery tech gets to the point where they build a long range electric wrangler

Sponsored

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Did anyone else catch the video? What do you think of the Recon? I'd love to see all the details but I think at first glance it's a good looking vehicle. Hopefully it lives up to the heritage.

Looks like it is part Wrangler, Renegade and the Liberty.

Don't care for the look.plus sometimes we offroad for days never seen a tree to plug a Jeep in 😂🤣😂🤣

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
IMHO They are going to sell a TON of these.
People will mod them up not caring about the gatekeepers at Wrangler forums.
Remember your first car? It was the best thing on the road?
Besides if they came out with a new Electric Wrangler immediately that could do some serious mileage you would have lots of aggravated 4xe owners.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Did you base that on a survey of your friends? Because sales of EV is up about 188% over the past two years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1231872/battery-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-united-states/

I find that the people who are first to complain about politics are usually engaging in politics.
It’s either politics or lack of knowledge/expertise with the new technology. As a previous Tesla owner I can assure the naysayers the motor/drivetrain of a powerfulEV is vastly better than any gasoline engine. Battery range and weight are the drawbacks…not drivability.

4x4Punk

First Name
Skully
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler TJ, 22 Wrangler JL Sport
Personally I like the looks of it.

I used to be a Wrangler purist and couldn't imagine an all electric Wrangler. But I read something where one of the Jeep bosses theorized that with independent electric motors, you could control each wheel independently - imagine the off-road capabilities of that. I think they needed to produce a trail-capable, somewhat modifiable, all-electric Jeep to prove that it could be done in the real world. I doubt that it is as customizable as the Wrangler (certainly without destroying it's range and driveability), but it's probably quite capable as-is. And when they do eventually come out with a fully-electric Wrangler, it will be a beast. The JL bears little resemblance to my TJ in that it's fully computerized, fly-by-wire instead of solidly mechanical. That didn't make it any less of a Wrangler. What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler is its customizability and off-road capabilities. This proves an electric off-roader can be built. It will take a few more years of evolution before they're ready to build one worthy of the Wrangler name. But when they do, it will exceed all expectations.

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Did you base that on a survey of your friends? Because sales of EV is up about 188% over the past two years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1231872/battery-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-united-states/

I find that the people who are first to complain about politics are usually engaging in politics.
The last numbers I saw for 2022 were over 5% of new sales were EV, and considering there are very few models available for sale (with massive wait lists), I would assume the market is far greater than 10% of the population. These numbers don't even include the hybrid sales.

JRudi392

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Unlimited RHD, Jeep Rubicon 392 Gobi
As an old time musician, I tend to keep up with all the latest gadgets. I use AI for songwriting, videos, even software for singing, all to the chagrin of my fellow musicians. That said, when they do come out with an all-electric wrangler, I'll be first in line. Like it or not, it is the future. In the meantime, I'm going to have a blast with my 392, because that is precisely what I bought if for.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Tesla & Musk followed the closed ecosystem paradigm a la Apple & Jobs.

But the Wrangler community wants none of that. What we have not seen from any automaker is the leveraging of the potential for DIY mod-ability of the skateboard form factor that underlies the platform architecture of so many EVs. Sure they see opportunities for synergies across their product lines. Look at Hyundai/KIA/Genesis and their eGMP chassis which has spawned the Ionic 5, Ionic 6, EV6, and GV60.

But what if the skateboard became a massive power and data bus with plug-in sockets along the entire length of the vehicle. You could conceivably add battery packs to extend your range. You wouldn’t have to snake the wires for the 4 wire tow connection from the hood all the way to the back of the vehicle. On-board air compressor could plug in multiple places along the chassis. Install a freshwater wash down pump into the vehicle if you like to go surfing.

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Bronco stole from Wrangler and now Jeep stole back from Bronco.
I agree, however they should have left well enough alone. Jeep was probably trying to get rid of the solid axle so they went with a Bronco-ish design on this one.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the Ford Probe and the Porsche 928? The Probe was supposed to replace the Mustang but never did. The 928 was supposed to replace the 911. I wonder if the Recon is the same idea?
As a Wrangler replacement? Stellantis has already said that there will be a BEV Wrangler. I believe I read they will show it off in 2025. Not 100% sure on that.

It’s either politics or lack of knowledge/expertise with the new technology. As a previous Tesla owner I can assure the naysayers the motor/drivetrain of a powerfulEV is vastly better than any gasoline engine. Battery range and weight are the drawbacks…not drivability.
First, to the naysayers, I get it. There is a visceral attachment to driving an ICE powered vehicle. Especially those with with V8s. The rumbling of a V8 is something that just appeals to people in general. This is one reason Dodge is trying to replicate that feeling with the EV Challenger concept.

But, for off roading. Some of you are going to be amazed at what and EV can do. I’ve had a Rivian R1T for just under a month and there is something special about off roading in near silence. There are many amazing things to see on Colorado’s trails. There are just as many things to hear. Oh and the amazing amount of torque you get is extremely useful on the trails.

BTW, range hasn’t been a real issue for me at this point. A couple of weeks ago, I put about 200 miles on my R1T and still had plenty of range left. I drove from north Denver to Grant in ‘conserve‘ mode (fwd with 417hp) then switched to Off Road mode for about 10 miles of running trails. I had a lot of range left so I drove over Guanella pass in Sport mode (AWD with 835HP) before passing through Georgetown and coming back home.

I can’t wait to see a BEV Wrangler.
Sponsored