Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
EVs have a quarter of the moving part... no oil changes, regenerative breaking means very few if any break jobs, no transmission problems, etc.
You'd think by now they'd be a lot cheaper with less complexity and significantly less mechanical parts. And it's not exactly as if lithium batteries and electric motors are cutting-edge technology. Never understood why they command such a premium over ICE, when they're essentially a full-size RC car.
Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My father has been daily driving a Tesla for 7 years (~120k miles). My parents travel a lot between their homes in suburban Chicago and small town Wisconsin. They leave my mom's Cayenne Hybrid at home and take the Tesla because it's a lot cheaper to use. EVs have a quarter of the moving part... no oil changes, regenerative breaking means very few if any break jobs, no transmission problems, etc. A 220 charger costs about 1K to install. It costs $7 to recharge. He's an accountant and ran all the numbers before he bought it. The car itself is more expensive than an ICE, but fuel costs are significantly lower.
The more EV's and chargers brought on line will quickly raise the KW cost and easily surpass fossil fuel costs very soon.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
With current battery tech, I don't see any of these getting more than 100 miles truely offroad. Until they can go 300+, there is not a replacement for the Wrangler.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
Exactly, the BMW i3 with the range extender seemed like a good solution, not sure whey we didn't pursue that further. A small gas tank and a really small ICE motor that spun at 1 efficient speed and it's sole job was to provide some extra juice to the battery. I think this would be a great way to help people with range anxiety, especially Jeep off road.
You’ve just described the Chevy volt as well and it is fantastic. The engine was almost 100% used to generate electricity for the battery. I went 6 months without getting gas. If I could have afforded two cars I would have kept it when I got my wrangler.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler-based? Coulda fooled me

Edit: oh wait maybe no one said that. Whatever, not interested

Last edited:

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
oops, when I saw the photo I thought for a second this was a tread about a new bronco BEV..../grins

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The first EV that has me somewhat interested. Unibody and front/rear independent suspension, elockers, rubicon certified, hmmm. It has me really intrigued.

Looks like a Bronco killer, which is ironic since the Bronco was being called a wrangler killer 🤣

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE 2021
I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps. I
I’m fairly new to Jeeps, have had a 4XE for about a year (and love it). But I’ve been driving a Tesla Model S for 9.5 years, and the above statement is just wrong. Obviously it depends on electric and gas prices in your area, but for me, in NY and NJ, it costs about 5X more to travel gas vs electric. Or, put another way; to travel the same distance I would in a gas car, I pay about 1/5th the cost per mile with electric. So every $1.00 I would have spent on gas becomes $0.20 with electric.

its a huge difference and it’s awesome.

YMMV, of course, but there’s no question that electric is just hugely cheaper per mile.

Argue all you want, but I’ve been doing this for nearly a decade and it kills me every time I have to spend $60+ to fill The tank on my 4XE, or my old clunker F150, which I love but is basically an antique at this point.

Don’t get me wrong. I love gas engines; they are a miracle of human ingenuity and engineering. But they belong in a museum, not on the road

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good idea, problem is you need sufficient size to house the ginormous battery these things require. And am I the only one not comfortable with the Wrangler 4xe battery being directly under my children in the rear?
I’ve got my kids on top of a 4XE battery, and in my other car, a 10-year old Tesla battery. Good with me.

But in the 4XE, I’m very nervous about seating them a mere few feet away from a dozen gallons of highly explosive gasoline!

Seriously, think about it. Which seems more dangerous to you, common sense. A solid state battery, or a bucket of gasoline?

Sponsored

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't pick up anger, you may be sensitive - and ill-informed.

The government IS forcing Jeep, Ford, & GM towards greater and greater fuel efficiency through CAFE standards - ultimately requiring increase mpg across an automakers fleet. If you (the market) want a 7mpg hellcat, you're going to need an EV/hybrid to balance out. This has been in place for decades.

California government IS banning ICE vehicles - and they are not alone. There are 15 other states positioning to follow suit. As is the federal government / employees. See more here:

States banning the sale of new gas-powered vehicles - ABC News (go.com)

This isn't all bad news - this has forced massive technological advancement. Bravo!

I'm w Raylan though - don't force me (or anyone, in any state) to drive one platform or another, I want my options.
I like the Recon it should come just in time to replace my wife’s current SUV in a couple of years. But can I get it with a traditional gasoline engine? Otherwise not interested if they can’t guarantee me a solid 10 years of 100% usable “as new” battery recharge life. Without that it’s not a vehicle we can take into retirement as it would not be cost effective.
I’ve been driving my 2013 Tesla for almost 10 years. Battery is about 90% of original. It’s a hell of a lot closer to “as new” than any equivalent ICE vehicle would have been.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I like that they’re keeping it separate from the Wrangler - to pull off that claim “do the entire Rubicon Trail and still have range to get to town to charge” they’re gonna have to radically rethink weight and power distribution. New axle designs, maybe with electric motors integrated. It’s gonna be a completely different beast to pull that off. We’ve all seen the miserable off-road electric range of the 4xE. Not gonna get a lot better just ripping out the gas engine for more battery life. This way, the aftermarket can still thrive for Wrangler and a new market opens up for Recon.
or they will install chargers near the tails to make their claim come true! lol

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I’ve got my kids on top of a 4XE battery, and in my other car, a 10-year old Tesla battery. Good with me.

But in the 4XE, I’m very nervous about seating them a mere few feet away from a dozen gallons of highly explosive gasoline!

Seriously, think about it. Which seems more dangerous to you, common sense. A solid state battery, or a bucket of gasoline?
Fair point, and the battery being inside the cabin therefore more temperature control, better for the battery life. I'd still prefer many more years of real world use before I'd consider a 4xe. If I could afford it I'd go 392 just to stick it to the powers that be who seem intent on pushing us toward a tech not all of us want and that simply can't meet many of our needs in an automobile, although I agree a strong hybrid tech is far more appealing to most of us than a pure electric...Hopefully the next iteration of the 4xe Wrangler can muster 50 miles electric only at least, make it more palatable...
Sponsored