Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Targeting a different market segment. This Recon is what the Cherokee should of been when they re-released it.
^^^^ this

If the Cherokee looked like this I’d have one in the driveway.
Sponsored

Montanabound

First Name
Lol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Brocon means something totally different in the Japanese anime world, let's not use that 1 lol.

This Jeep can still remove the doors and roof (panels?). That's more than enough to win some of us over from the other brands. But yes, range and other factors will play heavily. All other things being roughly equal, I still like the idea of the doorless/topless drive :D
Ok ok how about Brony? That’s good right? Brony has no other meaning what so ever

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I can't tell if the folks saying "oh the Recon will be a great commuter car!" are passive aggressively trolling because it's an EV or if they legit don't understand the level of capability that is possible with multiple motors (especially 4). We'll have no idea until Jeep gives more details on the Recon.

I'm wondering if Jeep will go dual motor on the Recon so that 4 is reserved only for a future EV Wrangler. Or if they'll go all in with 4 in the Recon first so people have a chance to see what that can do and feel comfortable with it long before they bring it to the Wrangler someday. That will be the difference between the Recon being capable off road or being a beast. Hopefully we find out soon! Haha

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I wonder what gas engines will go in these and if the layout will be N-S, not really interested in a BEV, dont want the hastle and replacement battery costs are way too high.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I can't tell if the folks saying "oh the Recon will be a great commuter car!" are passive aggressively trolling because it's an EV or if they legit don't understand the level of capability that is possible with multiple motors (especially 4). We'll have no idea until Jeep gives more details on the Recon.

I'm wondering if Jeep will go dual motor on the Recon so that 4 is reserved only for a future EV Wrangler. Or if they'll go all in with 4 in the Recon first so people have a chance to see what that can do and feel comfortable with it long before they bring it to the Wrangler someday. That will be the difference between the Recon being capable off road or being a beast. Hopefully we find out soon! Haha
I think Jeep is really trying to preserve solid axles for the wrangler. Obviously they add weight and drivetrain loss. But if they produce an independent suspension wrangler there will not be anything really to differentiate from other suvs. It will feel like everything else.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
In regard to the electricity costs offsetting cost savings, not true for charging at home. Look at the GC 4xe as a simplistic example. National avg for electricity is .13 per kWh. That will cost you less than $2 to drive the first 25 miles. Running on gas, every 25 miles after that will cost you over $4.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45148

A full BEV will have an even higher MPGe rating, further lowering that cost per 25 miles and give you 300+ miles of range.

Most people will charge at home 90% of the time, but the EV charging network is expanding fast along all major highways. It's a chicken and egg thing - the demand for more EV charging stations will drive the supply and vice versa. There is $$$ to be made, so capitalism will do its usual magic!
And all that $$ saved will go to pay for the Battery Replacement when your Jeep is 8yr old and the battery takes a dump, bet the battery will cost north of 20K$, so start skimping on the gas.

Note I work for a utility and we are putting in charging stations but most are private and guess what, they are not providing charging at the 20 cents/kwh std rate up here, but think 1$s per KWH.
They can charge what ever they want.

The public ones being put in are being vandalized by pissed off commuters in the downtowns who are loosing the few public parking spaces.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
It’s very expensive to develop a new car model. Therefore I disagree with those who are saying the Recon is just an experiment to try out things before bringing it to the Wrangler. Of course they will bring lessons learned from the Recon to other vehicles in their lineup, Wrangler included if applicable, but Stellantis has put all their brands on notice that they have a finite time window before Tavares starts culling the number of brands. It would be foolish for Jeep to spend the R&D into a test model at this time. I think Jeep is all in on electrification and they are clearly moving faster than I expected.

Being Jeep enthusiasts, it’s understandable that many of the forum members immediately thought of Defender or Bronco when they saw the Recon. For me the Recon is aimed at preventing Rivian from doing to Jeep what the R1T almost did to The F-150 and what Tesla already did to the passenger car segment. BEV SUV segment is up for grabs right now. Model X is more of a CUV than SUV. Next gen 4Runner is likely to be a much improved hybrid power train based on what Toyota has been doing with their other off-road capable vehicles.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of back and forth on this thread regarding the power grid and how the current public utility infrastructure is not keeping up with the electrification of the consumer vehicle market.

There is a small segment of BEV SUV customers that defies the stereotypes of latte-sipping coastal elites who never go off-road. For the self-reliance and ‘prepper’ folks out there, a back-road/off-road capable SUV with reasonable range could be quite desirable for those who want to be off-grid or even just less-grid-dependent. Residential home battery banks are becoming more available now and can be fed by solar and fossil-fueled generators.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
That Recon, looks like a Bronco, you sure Ford didn't build it?

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not because of a lack of understanding but rather a lack of imagination. Independent suspension in ICE vehicles are off-road-capability-limited by the fact that there has to be mechanical linkages that transfer the propulsive force from the engine, through the transmission, through the differentials and then ultimately to the wheels. Having a transmission-less, flat-torque-band motor with terrain sensing technology right at the wheels or possibly inside the wheel (large enough vehicles like buses, commercial trucks and possibly some serious consumer-grade off-road 4x4) opens up the possibilities in ways auto manufacturers are just beginning to exploit.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

oceanbretzke

First Name