Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
A gas pump is still very basic and doesn’t register your car and/or whereabouts especially if you pay cash. Electric vehicles will most certainly leave an ID at every charger that charges a vehicle since it’s made of new high technology.
At least that’s how I interpreted the comment.🤷‍♂️
That doesn't make a lot of sense. For one it doesn't limit your movement. It also doesn't account for almost everyone paying with credit card, the GPS tracking in the car, or the tracking on the cellphone in your pocket. Also if you charge your vehicle from home it wouldn't be tracking you. If you think the government can't find you at all times you are seriously mistaken
Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Because the saying goes something like this: 'As goes California so goes the rest of the country.'

17 other states are already following their lead.
You still aren't comprehending my statement that an ICE ban is a really bad idea. You also are pointing to something you think will happen in 2035. California, New York and other deep blue states may very well make some ridiculous law, but everyone else doesn't have to follow them. Even with the federal government they can't accomplish anything and as soon as they do another party gets control and reverses it. It is likely Republicans get control in November and there is no way they are banning oil.

Take off your tinfoil, take a deep breath and go drive your ICE vehicle, just make sure the deep breath isn't in the garage while it is running. Voice your opinion thru your vote; it will be far more effective than telling everyone how horrible EVs are on the internet

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I like the Recon it should come just in time to replace my wife’s current SUV in a couple of years. But can I get it with a traditional gasoline engine? Otherwise not interested if they can’t guarantee me a solid 10 years of 100% usable “as new” battery recharge life. Without that it’s not a vehicle we can take into retirement as it would not be cost effective.

Sponsored

KIZEMAN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4xe High Altitude - '18 Range Rover Sport SVR
You guys are circling a drain very quickly. Step outside and take a breath of fresh air (before it’s taxed:bandit:), come back and let’s discuss this junior wrangler.
Anyone got a tape measure so we can end this?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Wrangler capability with a real, solid roof would be nice. I understand the tradition of being an off-road convertible, but not everybody wants a convertible.
More solid than the Wrangler's hard top? What is the concern? Safety? Noise? Just trying to understand what you are looking for. Note that it does appear the Recon essentially has a sky one touch top. So it might not necessarily have the roof you are hoping for.

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did anyone else catch the video? What do you think of the Recon? I'd love to see all the details but I think at first glance it's a good looking vehicle. Hopefully it lives up to the heritage.

Looks like it is part Wrangler, Renegade and the Liberty.

I thinks it's cool looking. One thing O can't believe is that they didn't steal the idea from the Bronco of mounting the mirrors to the body. That concept vehicle has the doors off and no mirrors. It's time to move on from that. That should be a new feature....well I hope it would.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
I’m liking the Recon. We currently have a Gladiator Rubicon and a Bronco Badlands. Owning two vehicles that are both extremely capable off-road isn’t necessarily needed for us. Something like the Recon could be used day to day for the the longer commute driver and weekend errands but still have some capability for light wheeling, camping, getting to the trailhead etc. The doors coming off , lockers , and removable windows and sky top are all icing on the cake.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
How often do you expect to charge? If you get a level 2 charger you could wake up each morning with a full range. Now if you are offroading and need to charge before heading out hopefully Jeep does invest in these trail chargers.
Doesnt matter. If I have to wait an hour plus to charge during a longer trip that is a deal breaker for me.

Yes 98% of the time Id charge at home.

But this is for full EVs. TBH the 4Xe would be perfect for me but I refuse to own a 4dr Wrangler.

• Love
Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Recon looks cool. Maybe by the time it's available here, they'll figure out how to make a dual battery system for the JL that doesn't suck. About to replace my third aux battery in my 2018 JLUR next week at 51k miles. I'm pretty confident Jeep has perfected a full EV and battery system though 🙁

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
It looks like a cross between a Bronco and a Honda Element.
For me, as a primary vehicle, replace the wrangler? Nope, but as a 3rd vehicle, commuter? Yup I can see it. I can plug in at work free fuel, in garage at home if need be…

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
For me, as a primary vehicle, replace the wrangler? Nope, but as a 3rd vehicle, commuter? Yup I can see it. I can plug in at work free fuel, in garage at home if need be…
That’s how I see it. A second vehicle that still has some solid capability and is cost effective for commuting and weekend errands but also owning something for the the more intense trails.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but am I the only one who thinks we are moving way too fast towards full EV without the proper infrastructure in place? I live in rural Missouri and to say that there isn't infrastructure out here is an understatement. An EV isn't even remotely an option for me. The power grids in more progressive states such as California cannot even keep up with the EVs they already have when it gets slightly hotter than normal. Why don't we move towards full hybrid vehicles by 2030-2035 with 40 mpg average minimum across lineups and allow until 2040-2045 for movement to full EV, in order to have a complete infrastructure in place? I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps. I don't know guys. I see the purpose to them and think they will be very beneficial but I think the timing is off. The United States is vastly different from Norway or anywhere else in Europe for that matter and we can't pretend that we're not.

P.S.

I love the look of these vehicles and would love to take them for a test drive. I can't wait to see what the automotive future holds.
I agree 100%, in my small-ish town there are only 5 public chargers and 4 of them belong to dealers. I don't have my 4XE yet, but I can't imagine the Toyota dealer will simply let me plug in my Jeep for a couple of hours. The one public one is downtown, but the location is a bit odd - we have some cool little restaurants down there and a neat little round-a-bout and square, where a public charger could go, but nope; they put it like a block and a half away at some open lot thing. I can't imagine it gets used a lot.

On the other hand, we went to Hawaii for a vacation where I rented a 4XE Rubi. They had several chargers at the mall there, HOWEVER finding an open one was a real joke. The vast majority were occupied by Tesla's who seemed to stay parked there all day and if it wasn't a Tesla it was some other car like a Chevy Bolt or something, that would also be parked there all day (or the chargers were broke down, which seemed to be quite common). People had speculated that it was employees who parked there since most were closer to the entrances and in one case, I saw the same car there every day and every time I drove by.

The infrastructure is obviously the first step, can't charge if there ain't no chargers, but there is also a cultural/respect thing as well - not unlike the tragedy of the commons - where people don't need to hog the chargers all day just to use the closer parking space. What is the appropriate protocol if someone's vehicle is charged? Do you go up and remove the charger? Reminds me of washing my clothes in the college dorm, people would toss your wet clothes on the floor to use the washer - I would be pissed if I was charging my Jeep and some D-bag unplugged mine because they feel like they need the charger more. This will become a MAJOR issue if we don't use some kind of tech to help this out - there will be fights, if there haven't been already...
Sponsored