Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I'm not an EV fan because I think the EV push is more about tightly controlling people movement than environment, it's not easy to control people movement in a gas vehicle, but you can very easily with EVs.
I don't understand this logic. How is the government going to control your movement in an EV that they couldn't also do in an ICE?
Sponsored

JL4xEHA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Sure, what's the average amount of cars sold in any calendar year in the US...13-14 million. Assume 50% were electric, the power grids across the nation are not capable of handling the excess power draw. Years of miss management, lack of investment, etc. Take California for example the governor a couple weeks ago stated by 2030 zero ICE cars would no longer be sold. Look at the news headlines from yesterday in California, state govt pleading with people to NOT charge cars during peak hrs and that it might cause rolling brown and black outs. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing California might have the largest number of registered EV's on the road of any state.
I'm not against EV's I'm against governments at any level through laws or regulations forcing private and publicly traded companies to bow to pressure. Let the consumer decide what they want to drive not a handful of people at the top.
I understand that government should not be over intrusive, but if the US Government had not existed, you would be talking about your carriage horses instead of a Wrangler JL or EV.

you think it was people’s decision to drive gasoline cars? Ask the Government and Standard Oil. But this decision allowed us to dominate the world politics for almost a century. Oil made the USD the currency of choice because Oil contracts are settled in USD.

Now it is critical we mantain an edge in new technologies, or there is a good chance that you will go back to horses and carriages. The only way to keep the edge is for government and private sector to work together.

unfortunately EVs have become a political banner. I wish we had gone with hydrogen so people would stop bitching.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

I understand that government should not be over intrusive, but if the US Government had not existed, you would be talking about your carriage horses instead of a Wrangler JL or EV.

you think it was people’s decision to drive gasoline cars? Ask the Government and Standard Oil. But this decision allowed us to dominate the world politics for almost a century. Oil made the USD the currency of choice because Oil contracts are settled in USD.

Now it is critical we mantain an edge in new technologies, or there is a good chance that you will go back to horses and carriages. The only way to keep the edge is for government and private sector to work together.

unfortunately EVs have become a political banner. I wish we had gone with hydrogen so people would stop bitching.
Wait, the US government is responsible for the gas-powered automobile? I was severely duped!

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Man... I really like what I see.

I honestly think they would have been so well served to bring the design lines of the Recon in an increased size + add in all the luxury for the new Wagoneer. (The new Wagoneer being among the most unattractive additions to the Jeep line up - The B,C and D pillars are really strange)

My JL is my 10th Jeep, and I remain a big fan and brand loyalist. However, I fully disagree with the thought that it looks like a Bronco. To my eye, it looks like a modernized XJ, Grand Cherokee or original Wagoneer.

The jury is out on how the technology delivers on the goals of range + charging infrastructure. But I for one feel like the Recon is a solid addition to the segment.

It feels like it is far closer in styling to the Jeep heritage than many of the other newer or evolved models Jeep has introduced.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

This sounds a lot like anger. No one is forcing Jeep, Ford, GM to make EVs and when they do there is a long line of customers lining up to buy them. Your statement "Let the consumer decide what they want to drive not a handful of people at the top.", is exactly what is happening and the consumer is showing there is a demand for EV. You can't base the entire country on California, an ICE ban is a really bad idea. I don't think anyone except for some far left extremist really think that is a good idea. As I already stated if you don't want an EV don't buy one. It won't work for everyone, but it works for a lot of people.
I didn't pick up anger, you may be sensitive - and ill-informed.

The government IS forcing Jeep, Ford, & GM towards greater and greater fuel efficiency through CAFE standards - ultimately requiring increase mpg across an automakers fleet. If you (the market) want a 7mpg hellcat, you're going to need an EV/hybrid to balance out. This has been in place for decades.

California government IS banning ICE vehicles - and they are not alone. There are 15 other states positioning to follow suit. As is the federal government / employees. See more here:

States banning the sale of new gas-powered vehicles - ABC News (go.com)

This isn't all bad news - this has forced massive technological advancement. Bravo!

I'm w Raylan though - don't force me (or anyone, in any state) to drive one platform or another, I want my options.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds a lot like anger. No one is forcing Jeep, Ford, GM to make EVs and when they do there is a long line of customers lining up to buy them. Your statement "Let the consumer decide what they want to drive not a handful of people at the top.", is exactly what is happening and the consumer is showing there is a demand for EV. You can't base the entire country on California, an ICE ban is a really bad idea. I don't think anyone except for some far left extremist really think that is a good idea. As I already stated if you don't want an EV don't buy one. It won't work for everyone, but it works for a lot of people.
Opposing viewpoint and you label it anger classic. CAFE standards have nothing to do with companies deciding how and what to build . CAFE standards brought to you by your favorite group the federal govt thru regulations. The average American citizen isn’t driving this rush.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I don't understand this logic. How is the government going to control your movement in an EV that they couldn't also do in an ICE?
A gas pump is still very basic and doesn’t register your car and/or whereabouts especially if you pay cash. Electric vehicles will most certainly leave an ID at every charger that charges a vehicle since it’s made of new high technology.
At least that’s how I interpreted the comment.🤷‍♂️

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Gas or electric we’re already being tracked. Insurance companies track your mileage. Gas or electric can track your payment method. Emissions testing tracks your mileage. Plate scanners are everywhere and log your whereabouts. Everybody knows everything no matter what you drive, what it burns or how you pay for it.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I don't so much see a Bronco in these new designs... more like a Renegade and a Compass had a baby... especially with the Avenger and the Recon...

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I didn't pick up anger, you may be sensitive - and ill-informed.

The government IS forcing Jeep, Ford, & GM towards greater and greater fuel efficiency through CAFE standards - ultimately requiring increase mpg across an automakers fleet. If you (the market) want a 7mpg hellcat, you're going to need an EV/hybrid to balance out. This has been in place for decades.

California government IS banning ICE vehicles - and they are not alone. There are 15 other states positioning to follow suit. As is the federal government / employees. See more here:

States banning the sale of new gas-powered vehicles - ABC News (go.com)

This isn't all bad news - this has forced massive technological advancement. Bravo!

I'm w Raylan though - don't force me (or anyone, in any state) to drive one platform or another, I want my options.
What exactly am I ill informed on? CAFE standards don't require EV and unless something has changed it doesn't actually force you to do anything it just fines the company.

I have repeatedly brought up California banning ICE and stated it is a bad idea, however that isn't forcing anyone to build EVs

Again. If you don't want an EV don't buy one, but clearly there is a consumer demand so the automakers will cater to that customer if money can be made

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
What exactly am I ill informed on? CAFE standards don't require EV and unless something has changed it doesn't actually force you to do anything it just fines the company.

I have repeatedly brought up California banning ICE and stated it is a bad idea, however that isn't forcing anyone to build EVs

Again. If you don't want an EV don't buy one, but clearly there is a consumer demand so the automakers will cater to that customer if money can be made
Fines ≠ force. Ok, got it. 🙄

"Under California's new rules, automakers cannot sell any car, pickup truck, minivan, SUV or other passenger vehicle that emits greenhouse gasses by 2035."

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/states-banning-sale-gas-powered-vehicles/story?id=88895372

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Opposing viewpoint and you label it anger classic. CAFE standards have nothing to do with companies deciding how and what to build . CAFE standards brought to you by your favorite group the federal govt thru regulations. The average American citizen isn’t driving this rush.
What exactly is the opposing viewpoint? You stated let the consumer decide. Which is exactly what is happening. Some consumers want EV, therefore manufactures will produce some EVs. What does CAFE have to do with this? The average consumer couldn't tell you anything at all about CAFE standards, and most likely is concerned with MPGs, because that equals money.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Why do you keep pointing out California? We have been over this, try reading it again
Because the saying goes something like this: 'As goes California so goes the rest of the country.'

17 other states are already following their lead.
Sponsored