YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know jack, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the Recon really feels like Stellantis hedging their bets if they can't get a fully electric Wrangler to work. I don't see why they would design it to have removable doors, windows and a retractable roof if it weren't intended to possibly replace the Wrangler down the road.

It's just odd to introduce something that will so obviously cannibalize current Wrangler sales. But maybe that is the point. Get people who don't really want a Wrangler, but just want an open air SUV to buy this and allow Wrangler sales to drop so more of their volume of sales is going towards a fully electrified vehicle.

Again, I don't know jack. Just my .02
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I would like to introduce you to the Eco-diesel... With the right combo, 30mpg in a brick on 35s is possible.

My fuel cost went from $400-$450 per month with a 2018 JLU to almost $0 with the 2021 4xe, granted it's not on 35s, but I'm not too sure the Eco-diesel would have been able to slash my bill like this.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer to fill up my vehicle with gas... Yeah, they'll force us to buy an EV eventually, but I will hold out as long as I can... EV's do more damage to the environment than any gas vehicle... But a Volcano erupts and dumps more trash into the atmosphere than people will over a 100 year span. I say we ban volcanos...

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My fuel cost went from $400-$450 per month with a 2018 JLU to almost $0 with the 2021 4xe, granted it's not on 35s, but I'm not too sure the Eco-diesel would have been able to slash my bill like this.
How much did your electric bill increase? Curious to see someone with real world results on percentage of increase on electric bill.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Never said they should be. But, they can’t advertise the 4xe on amazing Mpg and range when it has neither. Even a boost to 50 miles on battery would help the model greatly.
I'm not sure it's advertised as having amazing mpg. I think people are assuming that, which is a grave mistake.

PHEVs are not about mpg, they are about avoiding using fuel for short trips, which could reduce fueling costs.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Meh, they're OK but nothing that makes me want to replace anything in my current line-up. As long as they still offer ICE in the US into the next decade they can add whatever electric vehicles they want. The fear is the day they no longer offer a choice.

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
How much did your electric bill increase? Curious to see someone with real world results on percentage of increase on electric bill.
My electric bill went up $10/month with my 4xe and I charge it at least daily, sometimes multiple times per day. I also went from buying gasoline every 7-8 days to every 5-6 weeks. So I went from buying gasoline 45 times a year to 10.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I mostly don't pay to charge, I use free public chargers nearby, if I had to pay, it would cost me $3 to charge up the 4xe 0% - 100%

So to go 20miles it would cost me over $7 with gas or free to $3 with electric.
Jeep Wrangler JL ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Revealed! (Off-Road Capable BEV) *** ⚠️ WARNING: NO POLITICS *** Screenshot_20220904-094640

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I don't know jack, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the Recon really feels like Stellantis hedging their bets if they can't get a fully electric Wrangler to work. I don't see why they would design it to have removable doors, windows and a retractable roof if it weren't intended to possibly replace the Wrangler down the road.

It's just odd to introduce something that will so obviously cannibalize current Wrangler sales. But maybe that is the point. Get people who don't really want a Wrangler, but just want an open air SUV to buy this and allow Wrangler sales to drop so more of their volume of sales is going towards a fully electrified vehicle.

Again, I don't know jack. Just my .02
you are looking at THE EV wrangler

this entire thread is being monitored by stellantis

They provide the forum with the info and monitor the responses to get feedback.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
There is no question that in some scenarios the 4xe is an amazing option. Yours is a good example of why it works. However if you drove more than 25 miles a day, and took longer trips, offroad, etc. That may change. I was not knocking the 4xe, my comment was in response to you stating that "Mpg and Wrangler should never be in the same sentence.". I don't agree with that as you can have a fully capable wrangler with pretty good mpg.

HeisenbergFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4XE 2021 Infinity QX80
Silly question but if this Recon is 100% electric why do the 1st and 3rd pictures show it in a 4XE with a fuel door? I am looking on a phone here so maybe thats a different vehicle?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
The Wrangler is Jeep's 2nd best seller and, as they said in the video, the crown jewel of their brand. Regardless of people's opinions on EV's and setting aside all of the various issues that will certainly come up along the way, it seems that the industry is almost universally planning on going EV. So unless Jeep plans to watch their crown jewel shrink to a tiny niche model over the next couple of decades, an EV Wrangler is 100% going to happen. In my mind, the question is how the heck do they get there.

I'm in the boat that thinks this approach of using a vehicle with a different name as a way to experiment (both with technology and market acceptance) is the smart and safe way to go. The Wrangler's mpge rating is like half that of most EV's for a number of very obvious reasons. How does Jeep go about experimenting with aerodynamic improvements without destroying the Wrangler's iconic design and alienating potential customers?

Aside from range, the huge thing I'm looking forward to finding out is if they are going all in with 4 motors on the Recon. I honestly don't know how they could be plotting a course to something that could be called a Wrangler without it. Plus Rivian is already doing it. The fact that they mentioned e-lockers is also hopefully a sign they are going that route. That should make the thing a potential beast off road and open up some pretty out of the box suspension possibilities.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
you are looking at THE EV wrangler

this entire thread is being monitored by stellantis

They provide the forum with the info and monitor the responses to get feedback.
That was my assumption as well. This is probably to see how it does. The removable doors and marketing around the rubicon trail shows this is their first attempt at the full ev off road focused vehicle.

I don't think the wrangler (JL) platform will support full EV in a usable way so they are seeing what does and does not work with the recon. The next wrangler may be very, very close to this.
Sponsored