Sponsored

RMA23

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhawk Cherokee. JL Rubicon.
I believe this gives Jeep the freedom to innovate and try ideas without messing with the Wrangler name plate. Competition breeds innovation I guess. I'm loving the testing the limits FCA is doing w/ their entire line-up.

Probably so. They could have increased the range on the 4xe though. 20 miles (give or take a few) is pathetic. And the MPG is horrible as well.

RMA23

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhawk Cherokee. JL Rubicon.
I’ve said this several times on this forum.

They cannot and will not ever build a fully electric wrangler.

Putting the electric motor in front of the transmission is the only way to keep it a wrangler and it’s drivetrain. That is not efficient enough for a full electric vehicle.

True. But range can be extended on the 4xe

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I'm not over the moon with design, but with the right tires and stance I could rock that. For those knocking the design, all of us here love the Wrangler and boxy SUV's, how many different ways can you shape a brick? Compared to any other BEV out there the Recon is damn handsome. And just think, you take the doors off, less weight, and BAM!!! another 5 miles of range!!! :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
We live in a world with fully electric F-150s and you think we will never see an electric Wrangler? Seems pretty short sighted to me. We 100% will see one. Probably announced by 2025.
No we definitely will not. You need to understand how EV’s are built and the challenges they face.

The vehicle in this thread IS the EV wrangler. That’s the product they had to build when they sat down with the goal of building an EV wrangler. It was so different from the wrangler that they just gave it a new name.

The only EV out there which defies these building standards is the EV hummer, and that is not a viable long term profit maker. It is merely shitty engineering and a rolling billboard. It needed a 200+ kwh battery to have any kinda of usable range and the thing weighs 9k lbs.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
True. But range can be extended on the 4xe
It gets 1.3 miles per kwh.

It would need a 200kwh battery like the hummer to have any sort of usable EV range. And after you install the 200kwh battery, and all the suspension and chassis to handle the weight, then get about 1m/kwh.

Only way they build an electric wrangle is if it’s an off road toy and not a real form of transportation, and that won’t sell.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but am I the only one who thinks we are moving way too fast towards full EV without the proper infrastructure in place? I live in rural Missouri and to say that there isn't infrastructure out here is an understatement. An EV isn't even remotely an option for me. The power grids in more progressive states such as California cannot even keep up with the EVs they already have when it gets slightly hotter than normal. Why don't we move towards full hybrid vehicles by 2030-2035 with 40 mpg average minimum across lineups and allow until 2040-2045 for movement to full EV, in order to have a complete infrastructure in place? I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps. I don't know guys. I see the purpose to them and think they will be very beneficial but I think the timing is off. The United States is vastly different from Norway or anywhere else in Europe for that matter and we can't pretend that we're not.

P.S.

I love the look of these vehicles and would love to take them for a test drive. I can't wait to see what the automotive future holds.
In my opinion no they are not moving too fast. However places completely banning ICE are probably moving too fast. My guess is the infrastructure may lag slightly behind, but that is because they aren't going to invest in it until there is an actual need for it. As EV demands increase there will be improvements to the infrastructure as long as government doesn't get in the way. As for the cost of charging, most of what I have seen shows it is cheaper on electric today, of course that depends on where/when you charge. The interesting thing to watch is how much does electric increase in cost as demands increases as well as what other forms of taxes are implemented to replace the gas tax losses. It is very possible that EVs become more expensive to fuel than gas, especially as gas demand drops. For some people benefit is convenience of charging at home and the potential to use solar, which may make it worth it.

It will be very interesting to see how technology moves forward. Even if you don't care about the environment, the performance benefits should win over many people

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Probably so. They could have increased the range on the 4xe though. 20 miles (give or take a few) is pathetic. And the MPG is horrible as well.
They can’t!

all they can do is use a bigger battery

where are they going to put the battery?

This is one of many reasons why you have to build an EV from the ground up, and why tesla absolutely dominated all other manufacturers in EV’s for a full decade.

The 4xe is the worlds clearest example of what happens when you put a battery and electric motor into an existing platform. 20-25 mile range with a not small at all 18 kwh battery.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Brocon means something totally different in the Japanese anime world, let's not use that 1 lol.

This Jeep can still remove the doors and roof (panels?). That's more than enough to win some of us over from the other brands. But yes, range and other factors will play heavily. All other things being roughly equal, I still like the idea of the doorless/topless drive :D
If it was an item more in demand, it would happen on other brands. It's a small market for removable doors, and in the category that it looks like the Recon will be playing, most manufacturers have a panoramic power glass roof that retracts for the open air experience. Those type of customers want the convenience of all power everything, without the muss and fuss of having to remove things. Both Ford and Jeep are playing in the NHTSA side impact protection exemption zone by offering removable doors. Other manufacturers don't.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Why do people say "use case" when they mean use? Is it because it sounds more technical?

melman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
This is Grand Cherokee based. Look at the side mirrors they are the exact same. I'm shocked I like the Wagoneer S more. It would be a great compliment to my wrangler 4xE.

I'm wrong this is based on a new electric platform. with Independent suspension. It's related to the Chrysler airflow

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-jeep-recon-ev-first-look-review/

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I like it! Looks better than Renegade, Compass or Cherokee. In fact, it looks better than anything else in Jeep’s lineup, besides JL and JT.

I like the overall styling direction Jeep is taking.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
In my opinion no they are not moving too fast. However places completely banning ICE are probably moving too fast. My guess is the infrastructure may lag slightly behind, but that is because they aren't going to invest in it until there is an actual need for it. As EV demands increase there will be improvements to the infrastructure as long as government doesn't get in the way. As for the cost of charging, most of what I have seen shows it is cheaper on electric today, of course that depends on where/when you charge. The interesting thing to watch is how much does electric increase in cost as demands increases as well as what other forms of taxes are implemented to replace the gas tax losses. It is very possible that EVs become more expensive to fuel than gas, especially as gas demand drops. For some people benefit is convenience of charging at home and the potential to use solar, which may make it worth it.

It will be very interesting to see how technology moves forward. Even if you don't care about the environment, the performance benefits should win over many people
Some states have rolling black/brownouts on hot days because of increased energy use, you think that's not a good case to upgrade already? That's without even more saturation from forcing people to go EV. We need infrastructure first, not going to work because you couldn't charge your car isn't going to go well I would think. It also takes a lot more work and time to upgrade every end of our grid, which is needed yesterday, not tomorrow.
Sponsored