Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I actually like the way that Recon looks, but I have to say, where are the side mirrors supposed to go with the doors off? It's a nice idea, let's see how it's implemented. I'm not a huge fan of all electric right now because of our generation and transmission issues. We also need more range and general charging infrastructure. Let's go nuke!
Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
It looks a lot like a Defender. Or a 4 door Bronco, or any other SUV/car/grocery getter.

If they're all going to look the same as everything else, then people will probably go with whatever has the best initial quality, and to date, that 'ain't the Jeep brand.

$70,000-$80,000 Jeep, or $70,000-$80,000 Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Rover, Acura, etc. Yeah, I think Jeep has some hills to climb before they're ready for that kind of prime time.

To be brutally honest, I'd buy a Defender before the Jeep, because they stand behind their vehicles where Jeep has a history of coming up with ways to deny warranty. And I really don't like the Defender much.

I've had my go rounds with FCA over the years, and they have tried to deny warranty on me several times. My Challenger especially. Was covered eventually, but not until it was argued about, sent up the chain, etc. Something that totally should have been covered from the start, but dealer wanted to say because I'd put wider tires and a cold air on it, that it was "modified" and the whole powertrain warranty was void.

That just doesn't happen with with the luxury brands, and Jeep is trying hard to be a luxury brand.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many have said the 4 door JL isn't a Wrangler.
I honestly think someone earlier nailed it as a production testbed essentially. See what works and what can be improved upon before going to your market king. If they go BEV on the Wrangler and mess it up then Jeep will be in trouble. They know they have to be supremely careful with the Wrangler nameplate.

On a side note I'm surprised we heard nothing for the JT, that seems like prime 4xe space there.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep+Bronco+Recon=
Brocon?
Rebro?
?
Brocon means something totally different in the Japanese anime world, let's not use that 1 lol.

It looks a lot like a Defender. Or a 4 door Bronco, or any other SUV/car/grocery getter.

If they're all going to look the same as everything else, then people will probably go with whatever has the best initial quality, and to date, that 'ain't the Jeep brand.

$70,000-$80,000 Jeep, or $70,000-$80,000 Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Rover, Acura, etc. Yeah, I think Jeep has some hills to climb before they're ready for that kind of prime time.

To be brutally honest, I'd buy a Defender before the Jeep, because they stand behind their vehicles where Jeep has a history of coming up with ways to deny warranty. And I really don't like the Defender much.

I've had my go rounds with FCA over the years, and they have tried to deny warranty on me several times. My Challenger especially. Was covered eventually, but not until it was argued about, sent up the chain, etc. Something that totally should have been covered from the start, but dealer wanted to say because I'd put wider tires and a cold air on it, that it was "modified" and the whole powertrain warranty was void.

That just doesn't happen with with the luxury brands, and Jeep is trying hard to be a luxury brand.
This Jeep can still remove the doors and roof (panels?). That's more than enough to win some of us over from the other brands. But yes, range and other factors will play heavily. All other things being roughly equal, I still like the idea of the doorless/topless drive :D

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I can see a use case for the Recon as my 3rd vehicle, commuter Jeep, keep the JL for off-roading and long distance trips. The fact they gave the Recon removable doors, windows, and the skytop is smart and slick, this would probably be a much better choice for lots of people who want the convertible lifestyle the Wrangler provides but will never take it off the beaten path.
After 30 years and 6 Wranglers as a daily driver, I would have switched to which ever manufacturer came out with an open air 4x4 EV, looks like I will stick with Jeep, right now my Wrangler 4xe works for me for the next 3-4 years.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
At any rate, I'm really thinking resale values for the Wranglers we have now aren't going down 5 years from now. Stellantis is going to screw it up eventually, unless some pro-Wrangler faction at the company with a lot of pull, actually gets their designs through instead of the mainstream new age purists.

Really glad we got ours when we did.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
It is a Grand Cherokee styled to resemble a Hummer

Sponsored

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but am I the only one who thinks we are moving way too fast towards full EV without the proper infrastructure in place? I live in rural Missouri and to say that there isn't infrastructure out here is an understatement. An EV isn't even remotely an option for me. The power grids in more progressive states such as California cannot even keep up with the EVs they already have when it gets slightly hotter than normal. Why don't we move towards full hybrid vehicles by 2030-2035 with 40 mpg average minimum across lineups and allow until 2040-2045 for movement to full EV, in order to have a complete infrastructure in place? I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps. I don't know guys. I see the purpose to them and think they will be very beneficial but I think the timing is off. The United States is vastly different from Norway or anywhere else in Europe for that matter and we can't pretend that we're not.

P.S.

I love the look of these vehicles and would love to take them for a test drive. I can't wait to see what the automotive future holds.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I look forward to all the details on the Recons drive train and suspension. What a great test bed before making changes to the Wrangler. Also, they are already saying its trail rated, which normally means they took one down the Rubicon. Did I miss the spy photos of this happening?
Not necessarily. Compass Trailhawk and Renegade Trailhawk are "Trail Rated". They don't even have a low range. My daughter has a Compass Trailhawk, and its a nice soft-roader, but it's not going to make it through the Rubicon Trail.
Sponsored