Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Did anyone else catch the video? What do you think of the Recon? I'd love to see all the details but I think at first glance it's a good looking vehicle. Hopefully it lives up to the heritage.

Looks like it is part Wrangler, Renegade and the Liberty.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully they've fixed the corrosion issues with those hinges! :facepalm:

Sponsored

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
I like that they’re keeping it separate from the Wrangler - to pull off that claim “do the entire Rubicon Trail and still have range to get to town to charge” they’re gonna have to radically rethink weight and power distribution. New axle designs, maybe with electric motors integrated. It’s gonna be a completely different beast to pull that off. We’ve all seen the miserable off-road electric range of the 4xE. Not gonna get a lot better just ripping out the gas engine for more battery life. This way, the aftermarket can still thrive for Wrangler and a new market opens up for Recon.

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
Why did they make this? Just do the all electric Wrangler and no this isn't a Wrangler
From what I’ve heard from friends of friends who are Jeep engineers working on the wrangler, the JL platform cannot support a full BEV wrangler. The decision was made to introduce the fully electric wrangler when the JL platform is sunset in the next 3 or 4 years, all on a new platform.

Jeep could invest into more charging infrastructure across the country and it would do far more to sell EVs than another vehicle.
Agreed, but billions of dollars have also been allocated to update the electric grid and build a more robust charging network across the USA. But Jeep should work to build sustainable off-road charging networks for sure.

BigLebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe 1999 Mazda Miata
Agreed, but billions of dollars have also been allocated to update the electric grid and build a more robust charging network across the USA. But Jeep should work to build sustainable off-road charging networks for sure.

Love this idea

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I can see a use case for the Recon as my 3rd vehicle, commuter Jeep, keep the JL for off-roading and long distance trips. The fact they gave the Recon removable doors, windows, and the skytop is smart and slick, this would probably be a much better choice for lots of people who want the convertible lifestyle the Wrangler provides but will never take it off the beaten path.
Sponsored