Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
for those interested in the science of battery recycling and where the technology is now... there is still work to do, but people know that it needs to be addressed as we move towards more battery storage and away from fossils.

it's curious that no one seems as concerned about the recycling of fossil fuels after being combusted in vehicles as much as the recycling of batteries after their end of life....
https://www.ameslab.gov/cmi/reuse-and-recycling
OMG...up-vote on this 1,000,000,000 times. The absolute ----storm the scientifically illiterate politicians have people marching into is hilarious and frightening to watch unfold. It's like the folktale of the emperor having no clothes. The world is way way behind necessary battery development of recycling facilities. An engineer I know has been trying to build one in CA and, well, you know it won't happen there.
Sponsored

oceanbretzke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ocean Engineer / US Navy Diver
If that is true, that is great. Now let's make them the same price as the average $35k ICE vehicle with 400 miles of range standard instead of having to option an extended range battery that still won't hit 400 miles. That seems like a pipe dream though considering manufacturers that make EVs have raised their prices exponentially just this year alone. They are getting farther out of reach for the average American and that is a problem. I also want to be able charge from dead to full in sub-five minutes like I can with gasoline because I shouldn't have to plan vacations around what hotels provide overnight charging. Like I said, I have zero doubt that EVs have their place but I feel they are far from ready for the mainstream. They need to surpass ICE vehicles in EVERY category of efficiency or else someone like myself will never be sold on them. I look forward to watching the technology evolve, but until charging times are the same as ICE fill-ups and I can bring a few jugs of extra electricity with me on extended camping trips, I'm not sold.
100% Correct. We are decades away before its mainstream

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
And yet we have makers such as GM committing to 100%. BEV's by 2030 or 2035, which I think is crazy and shortsighted. I hope they are prepared for full lots of BEV cars and trucks no one is buying while their clientele go down the road to purchase a vehicle that at least partly utilizes gasoline...

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.iit.edu/news/illinois-t...eated-worlds-first-rechargeable-safe-electric

this is also pretty neat, a rechargeable fluid. In theory if you made an EV make use of this you could fill up a tank, use it until it’s charge ran out, siphon it out into a charging station, get some new fluid and go on your way. Gas stations could even be repurposed for this so some of the infrastructure is already there.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I’m fairly new to Jeeps, have had a 4XE for about a year (and love it). But I’ve been driving a Tesla Model S for 9.5 years, and the above statement is just wrong. Obviously it depends on electric and gas prices in your area, but for me, in NY and NJ, it costs about 5X more to travel gas vs electric. Or, put another way; to travel the same distance I would in a gas car, I pay about 1/5th the cost per mile with electric. So every $1.00 I would have spent on gas becomes $0.20 with electric.

its a huge difference and it’s awesome.

YMMV, of course, but there’s no question that electric is just hugely cheaper per mile.

Argue all you want, but I’ve been doing this for nearly a decade and it kills me every time I have to spend $60+ to fill The tank on my 4XE, or my old clunker F150, which I love but is basically an antique at this point.

Don’t get me wrong. I love gas engines; they are a miracle of human ingenuity and engineering. But they belong in a museum, not on the road
Do keep in mind that your model S can go more than twice the distance of a Wrangler on the same amount of electricity, so cut that 5x in half for folks on this site. Still cheaper of course. You must have really great electric rates. My rates up here in MA suck. It's almost exactly the same cost for me regardless if my 4xe is using electric or gas. The only reason I even bother charging is because I enjoy the electric driving so much.

Sponsored

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
YMMV, but based on my electric rates in Sacramento gas would need to be under $1.10 a gallon for it to be cheaper to run on the gas engine.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Converting perfectly good ICE vehicles to EVs, using "drop in " components, such as the Magna eBeam, could save so much waste, and make an EV affordable.
Converting my 2018 2 door Sport to BEV should be a LOT less expensive than buying new.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
YMMV, but based on my electric rates in Sacramento gas would need to be under $1.10 a gallon for it to be cheaper to run on the gas engine.
Haha I appreciate you making me feel better about my electric rates! Also, sorry, that really sucks!

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
You’ve just described the Chevy volt as well and it is fantastic. The engine was almost 100% used to generate electricity for the battery. I went 6 months without getting gas. If I could have afforded two cars I would have kept it when I got my wrangler.
My brother went 3,000 miles on a tank of gas. He was living in Chicago and had a 35 mile commute. He was driving an Infiniti M45 at the time and the money he was spending on gas covered the lease payments of his Volt.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
My brother went 3,000 miles on a tank of gas. He was living in Chicago and had a 35 mile commute. He was driving an Infiniti M45 at the time and the money he was spending on gas covered the lease payments of his Volt.
Ya I liked mine. It obviously wasn’t bad ass or anything but somewhat fun to drive and crazy cheap. Mine was reliable as hell, never a single issue. I like all things automotive though so maybe I’m easy to please.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Ya I liked mine. It obviously wasn’t bad ass or anything but somewhat fun to drive and crazy cheap. Mine was reliable as hell, never a single issue. I like all things automotive though so maybe I’m easy to please.
Have you ever thought of an electric bike? I've wanted a second car for years, but I drive less than 1k miles a month... my commute is 11 miles one way, so I couldn't justify the expense. But I used my stimulus money a couple summers ago and bought an electric bike. There are a bunch of trails in and around Milwaukee, and the range (up to 40 miles depending on usage) is good enough to ride it to work... and the throttle is fun!

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
Have you ever thought of an electric bike? I've wanted a second car for years, but I drive less than 1k miles a month... my commute is 11 miles one way, so I couldn't justify the expense. But I used my stimulus money a couple summers ago and bought an electric bike. There are a bunch of trails in and around Milwaukee, and the range (up to 40 miles depending on usage) is good enough to ride it to work... and the throttle is fun!
That’s pretty sweet. I like the sur ron “bike”. I currently have a F800gs adventure moto that I ride when I want to use less gas. Traditional bike wouldn’t work for my commute currently Waiting to see what automakers come out with in the ev space, in the near future one of our cars will be electric and the other an off-roader. Liking the Recon and EV6 currently, rivian as well but not willing to spend that much.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L