Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
for those interested in the science of battery recycling and where the technology is now... there is still work to do, but people know that it needs to be addressed as we move towards more battery storage and away from fossils.

it's curious that no one seems as concerned about the recycling of fossil fuels after being combusted in vehicles as much as the recycling of batteries after their end of life....
https://www.ameslab.gov/cmi/reuse-and-recycling
Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
for those interested in the science of battery recycling and where the technology is now... there is still work to do, but people know that it needs to be addressed as we move towards more battery storage and away from fossils.

it's curious that no one seems as concerned about the recycling of fossil fuels after being combusted in vehicles as much as the recycling of batteries after their end of life....
https://www.ameslab.gov/cmi/reuse-and-recycling
Well all the old oil is burned for heat in a lot of shops, does that count?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Ok, how long do you infer that battery is going to last? 100,000 miles? They start to degenerate immediately, and will faster depending on ambient temperature. What is the environmental impact of a car that needs at least a second replacement battery to make it to 150,000 miles or more, which just about any ICE can do these days with regular maintenance, not to mention the cost of said replacement battery, again just my 3 cents...
At least that long, and battery life depends on how it is used and maintained. IIRC no manufacturer is offering a battery with less than 100k warranty. Even if you have to swap a battery pack out at say, 150k the long term is an ICE will continually add to its carbon footprint.

You argue about the environmental footprint of BEV and renewable generation disposal. It's no where on the scale of ICE impacts. The first point is that while a battery pack may no longer work for a car, it can be up/downcycled into grid or home storage systems. When it gets to the point the pack is no longer suitable for that, the chemistry can be recycled and reused. Assuming aluminum, solid-state, or other chemistries aren't in place, at large scales the lithium, cadnium, nickel, iron, etc. can be fully reclaimed and reused, reducing the need for new sources.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
At least that long, and battery life depends on how it is used and maintained. IIRC no manufacturer is offering a battery with less than 100k warranty. Even if you have to swap a battery pack out at say, 150k the long term is an ICE will continually add to its carbon footprint.

You argue about the environmental footprint of BEV and renewable generation disposal. It's no where on the scale of ICE impacts. The first point is that while a battery pack may no longer work for a car, it can be up/downcycled into grid or home storage systems. When it gets to the point the pack is no longer suitable for that, the chemistry can be recycled and reused. Assuming aluminum, solid-state, or other chemistries aren't in place, at large scales the lithium, cadnium, nickel, iron, etc. can be fully reclaimed and reused, reducing the need for new sources.
Well I hope for all our sake that you are correct. Lots of plastic is recyclable too, yet most of it ends up in landfills and oceans, sickening. I do my part and separate out my recycle stuff, to then watch the garbage collectors throw it right in with the rest of the trash. They say it gets sorted on the other end but unlikely, what else are we to do?

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps.
My father has been daily driving a Tesla for 7 years (~120k miles). My parents travel a lot between their homes in suburban Chicago and small town Wisconsin. They leave my mom's Cayenne Hybrid at home and take the Tesla because it's a lot cheaper to use. EVs have a quarter of the moving part... no oil changes, regenerative breaking means very few if any break jobs, no transmission problems, etc. A 220 charger costs about 1K to install. It costs $7 to recharge. He's an accountant and ran all the numbers before he bought it. The car itself is more expensive than an ICE, but fuel costs are significantly lower.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Such a glowing picture is being painted by BEV enthusiasts I'm surprised they even need to be forced on us by govt.
Such a glowing picture painted by the likes of Edsel Ford and Alfred Sloan of the future of automobiles I am surprised that government tax money was spent on building highways. All roads in America should be toll roads.

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
My father has been daily driving a Tesla for 7 years (~120k miles). My parents travel a lot between their homes in suburban Chicago and small town Wisconsin. They leave my mom's Cayenne Hybrid at home and take the Tesla because it's a lot cheaper to use. EVs have a quarter of the moving part... no oil changes, regenerative breaking means very few if any break jobs, no transmission problems, etc. A 220 charger costs about 1K to install. It costs $7 to recharge. He's an accountant and ran all the numbers before he bought it. The car itself is more expensive than an ICE, but fuel costs are significantly lower.
If that is true, that is great. Now let's make them the same price as the average $35k ICE vehicle with 400 miles of range standard instead of having to option an extended range battery that still won't hit 400 miles. That seems like a pipe dream though considering manufacturers that make EVs have raised their prices exponentially just this year alone. They are getting farther out of reach for the average American and that is a problem. I also want to be able charge from dead to full in sub-five minutes like I can with gasoline because I shouldn't have to plan vacations around what hotels provide overnight charging. Like I said, I have zero doubt that EVs have their place but I feel they are far from ready for the mainstream. They need to surpass ICE vehicles in EVERY category of efficiency or else someone like myself will never be sold on them. I look forward to watching the technology evolve, but until charging times are the same as ICE fill-ups and I can bring a few jugs of extra electricity with me on extended camping trips, I'm not sold.

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
And all that $$ saved will go to pay for the Battery Replacement when your Jeep is 8yr old and the battery takes a dump, bet the battery will cost north of 20K$, so start skimping on the gas.

Note I work for a utility and we are putting in charging stations but most are private and guess what, they are not providing charging at the 20 cents/kwh std rate up here, but think 1$s per KWH.
They can charge what ever they want.

The public ones being put in are being vandalized by pissed off commuters in the downtowns who are loosing the few public parking spaces.
8 years is not the reality for battery life. Most are going well beyond their rated lifespan. Sure, there will always be exceptions.....just like there are for ICEs. How many miles do you think you'll get on a Hurricane turbo with a ZF 8-speed and how much $$ do you think it would be to replace that? An EV powertrain is a much better bet to last you 300k miles.

As for SOME excessive costs for EV charging stations, the solution is competition - more charging stations.

Look, no one is taking any ICE options away from anyone not ready for years. But, EVs are already more cost effective for many.

Sponsored

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
A proven technology vs unproven is my point. I'm sure its safe, but makes me uneasy. I have a perfectly functioning 6sp, but have a new CF II clutch waiting in my garage to be installed due to the admittingly low risk of catastrophic failure. My kids safety is paramount above all else, control the few risks we can control. After all, in my opinion our kids are about the only thing of intrinsic value we leave behind...
Get a Bronco with side curtain airbags?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yes.
See also; “organ transplantation” instead of “organ transplant”, “at this point in time” instead of “at this time”.
We are full of it.
Oh and here I was thinking it was because "use case" and "use" are actually 2 different things. Is it other people's fault that you guys don't know that?

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Oh and here I was thinking it was because "use case" and "use" are actually 2 different things. Is it other people's fault that you guys don't know that?
Of course it’s other peoples fault! It’s always other peoples fault. This is America. And not just North America!
Sponsored