Sponsored

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
I agree 100%, in my small-ish town there are only 5 public chargers and 4 of them belong to dealers. I don't have my 4XE yet, but I can't imagine the Toyota dealer will simply let me plug in my Jeep for a couple of hours. The one public one is downtown, but the location is a bit odd - we have some cool little restaurants down there and a neat little round-a-bout and square, where a public charger could go, but nope; they put it like a block and a half away at some open lot thing. I can't imagine it gets used a lot.

On the other hand, we went to Hawaii for a vacation where I rented a 4XE Rubi. They had several chargers at the mall there, HOWEVER finding an open one was a real joke. The vast majority were occupied by Tesla's who seemed to stay parked there all day and if it wasn't a Tesla it was some other car like a Chevy Bolt or something, that would also be parked there all day (or the chargers were broke down, which seemed to be quite common). People had speculated that it was employees who parked there since most were closer to the entrances and in one case, I saw the same car there every day and every time I drove by.

The infrastructure is obviously the first step, can't charge if there ain't no chargers, but there is also a cultural/respect thing as well - not unlike the tragedy of the commons - where people don't need to hog the chargers all day just to use the closer parking space. What is the appropriate protocol if someone's vehicle is charged? Do you go up and remove the charger? Reminds me of washing my clothes in the college dorm, people would toss your wet clothes on the floor to use the washer - I would be pissed if I was charging my Jeep and some D-bag unplugged mine because they feel like they need the charger more. This will become a MAJOR issue if we don't use some kind of tech to help this out - there will be fights, if there haven't been already...
The tech is in place on many ev’s to stop them from being unplugged. Also 95% of the time public chargers are irrelevant assuming you have the ability to charge at home and aren’t constantly road tripping.
Sponsored

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Mons, Belgium (originally, Sn Antonio, TX)
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport; 22 JLU Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF
If you think of the Recon from a commuter perspective, it’s pretty cool.

No other vehicle besides Wranglers and Broncos can take their doors and windows off, and have a top that retracts. And there are no EVs on the market that do any of those things. So this will be cool for Jeep.

I’d rock one for my 60 mile round trip daily commute here in San Antonio, but would I wheel it? No.

The Wagoneer S (which they said isn’t it’s final name btw if you didn’t catch that in the video) is interesting but I find it weird that they’re shooting for Sporty/Sexy when obviously attempting to directly compete with Land Rover’s Range Rover Evoque-esc design(s).

Why have that racey spoiler on the back? Aerodynamics, sure, but then just don’t have the back glass angled in so much and out a normal looking spoiler on it?

The rest of it I actually like but we’ll see what actually comes to market. Tbh, the grille is pretty neat and is probably my favorite part of the design. I think that should stay with the Wagoneer line though…don’t start doing that on the Jeeps.

I’m not disappointed that the Avenger (or whatever it’s called) will be Europe only. That’s not good looking at all. The Renegade is at least a fun looking baby “Jeep” (even if it’s full of flaws). That thing is clearly a Fiat EV with a 7 slot grille.

I dream of a Wrangler EV one day but that may be a long way from now. I’d kill for a Grand Wagoneer all electric 4XE, but they’re already expensive enough…that’d put it at like $150K out the factory 😰

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just
it looks suspiciously like a bronco - that was my first thought!!
what the world needs, an electric Bronco (sport?) with a Jeep nameplate. Fits well in California. Too bad they don’t have the juice to charge ‘em😏

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but am I the only one who thinks we are moving way too fast towards full EV without the proper infrastructure in place? I live in rural Missouri and to say that there isn't infrastructure out here is an understatement. An EV isn't even remotely an option for me. The power grids in more progressive states such as California cannot even keep up with the EVs they already have when it gets slightly hotter than normal. Why don't we move towards full hybrid vehicles by 2030-2035 with 40 mpg average minimum across lineups and allow until 2040-2045 for movement to full EV, in order to have a complete infrastructure in place? I've heard some people with EVs say that the money they saved in gas was essentially added to their electric bill, so they really didn't save anything except on maintenance perhaps. I don't know guys. I see the purpose to them and think they will be very beneficial but I think the timing is off. The United States is vastly different from Norway or anywhere else in Europe for that matter and we can't pretend that we're not.

P.S.

I love the look of these vehicles and would love to take them for a test drive. I can't wait to see what the automotive future holds.
In regard to the electricity costs offsetting cost savings, not true for charging at home. Look at the GC 4xe as a simplistic example. National avg for electricity is .13 per kWh. That will cost you less than $2 to drive the first 25 miles. Running on gas, every 25 miles after that will cost you over $4.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45148

A full BEV will have an even higher MPGe rating, further lowering that cost per 25 miles and give you 300+ miles of range.

Most people will charge at home 90% of the time, but the EV charging network is expanding fast along all major highways. It's a chicken and egg thing - the demand for more EV charging stations will drive the supply and vice versa. There is $$$ to be made, so capitalism will do its usual magic!

Sponsored

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
The look is ok…..I get a Hummer vibe from it that turns me off. I would need to see the specs before I way in yes or no. Infrastructure is a whole other discussion waiting hours to charge it for hours would give me a stroke, we’ve all seen gas station line ups at big Jeep events & that’s with what a 5 minute fill up…..math that out with the average charge time. For the right specs maybe I would tolerate all that to help the environment & silently run the trails.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
In regard to the electricity costs offsetting cost savings, not true for charging at home. Look at the GC 4xe as a simplistic example. National avg for electricity is .13 per kWh. That will cost you less than $2 to drive the first 25 miles. Running on gas, every 25 miles after that will cost you over $4.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45148

A full BEV will have an even higher MPGe rating, further lowering that cost per 25 miles and give you 300+ miles of range.

Most people will charge at home 90% of the time, but the EV charging network is expanding fast along all major highways. It's a chicken and egg thing - the demand for more EV charging stations will drive the supply and vice versa. There is $$$ to be made, so capitalism will do its usual magic!
.13 per kwh avg. From last bill PG&E — tier 2- .39454, High usage- 49318 kwh. Over 100 degrees common (102-106 this week) much high usage without charging a vehicle ( assuming the power stays on) . It’s bad enough a large off grid sustainable solar system is being installed Wednesday. Pacific Graft & Extortion can then go “ censored”!

Last edited:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Think it actually looks pretty good for a bus, but really have no interest in a long 4-door minivan off-roader and wouldn't want a rag-top either (really don't care about removable doors for that matter, at least until they can fix their rusty hinges problem first).

Shorten it up another foot (or two) and make a hard-top version with a regular glass sunroof and I'd be interested.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
.13 per kwh avg. From last bill PG&E — tier 2- .39454, High usage- 49318 kwh. Over 100 degrees common (102-106 this week) much high usage without charging a vehicle ( assuming the power stays on) . It’s bad enough a large off grid sustainable solar system is being installed Wednesday. Pacific Graft & Extortion can then go “ censored”!
PGE has a different rate program for EVs. You don't pay that peak rate -- assuming you charge at off-peak hours.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
A proven technology vs unproven is my point. I'm sure its safe, but makes me uneasy. I have a perfectly functioning 6sp, but have a new CF II clutch waiting in my garage to be installed due to the admittingly low risk of catastrophic failure. My kids safety is paramount above all else, control the few risks we can control. After all, in my opinion our kids are about the only thing of intrinsic value we leave behind...
Your kids’ safety is paramount yet you put them in a Wrangler? There are waaaaaay safer choices out there.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Sky touch, removable doors, "green". This is a brilliant add. Even right here, in what would be more enthusiast forums we have MANY who don't wheel, or barely wheel. This recon gives at minimum 50% of wrangler owners everything they bought a wrangler for, and it's an EV.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am the likely the minority here, but I hate that the wrangler has a removable roof.
I would rather have a full metal shell which is significantly stronger and stiffer. Plus you can actually carry something heavier than a ping pong ball on a roof rack without cutting holes in everything.

With the IFS on 4 corners, there is zero reason to buy this over something like a Rivian though, which, since not FCA, will offer much better customer service.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
"Code-named Wagoneer S, this fully electric vehicle will continue to expand the brand’s presence in the premium SUV segment "

Code for they're going to charge an arm and a leg for this. What's a customer for a $80,000 townie golf-cart grocery getter going to think when the visor breaks and falls down?
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD