Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Dad wanted me to go in the Air Force. I decided to join the military instead. JUST KIDDING!

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Dad wanted me to go in the Air Force. I decided to join the military instead. JUST KIDDING!
Mike here's a tale. When my oldest daughter was looking to go into the service I wanted her to go in the AF too, but she saw the Navy recruiter, thought he was cute and joined the Navy. She hated being in the Navy, sea duty at Pearl, SD, and Earle, NJ shore duty at Brunswick NAS. She hated Pearl & SD, wtf? She said the only good thing about her time in the Navy was meeting her husband who was a civilian MM engineer on the USNS Yukon.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Mike here's a tale. When my oldest daughter was looking to go into the service I wanted her to go in the AF too, but she saw the Navy recruiter, thought he was cute and joined the Navy. She hated being in the Navy, sea duty at Pearl, SD, and Earle, NJ shore duty at Brunswick NAS. She hated Pearl & SD, wtf? She said the only good thing about her time in the Navy was meeting her husband who was a civilian MM engineer on the USNS Yukon.
I thought Pearl was awesome!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
This is, of course, a joke. What the Old Man really wanted was for me to join the Army, because he knew someone who could get me into warrant officer chopper pilot school. Yup, wanted me to learn to fly Hueys..in 1967! Even as young and dumb as I was, I knew what the life expectancy on FNG chopper drivers was.

Course, after extensive comm training on FANCY gear,, when I got in country, the Corps said, "oh, cool...radio school. Here, hold this PRC-25 a minute"...and sent me to a grunt platoon. Hmm. Long walks in the woods. People were rude to me.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I enlisted in the Army in 1958 right after HS Graduation. As a teen age Hot Rod enthusiast I wanted to become a vehicle mechanic. After the results of my ASVAB the Army said no and told me about Explosive Ordnance Disposal, or becoming a machinist. When they told me that EOD came with a $55 per month hazardous pay stipend added to my base pay I jumped for EOD. Decision point: Army base pay for a private in 1958 was a stupendous $78 a month. I went to the Naval School of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, immediately followed by Nuclear Weapons Disposal and stayed in the field for 20 years. Motto: WETSU (we eat this shit up). Still have all my fingers and toes, and a good part of my brain remaining at eighty years old.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I enlisted in the Army in 1958 right after HS Graduation. As a teen age Hot Rod enthusiast I wanted to become a vehicle mechanic. After the results of my ASVAB the Army said no and told me about Explosive Ordnance Disposal, or becoming a machinist. When they told me that EOD came with a $55 per month hazardous pay stipend added to my base pay I jumped for EOD. Decision point: Army base pay for a private in 1958 was a stupendous $78 a month. I went to the Naval School of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, immediately followed by Nuclear Weapons Disposal and stayed in the field for 20 years. Motto: WETSU (we eat this shit up). Still have all my fingers and toes, and a good part of my brain remaining at eighty years old.
Awesome story! Thx

Sponsored

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL ♠ MILITARY CHAT ♠ ACTIVE | RESERVE | RETIRED | VETERAN ♠ you magnificent bastard

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Tom, I seriously have to ask...how does one dispose of nukes? Or would that be classified?

Mud Wasp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
Really! Who do you think is going to pick you up after splashdown? Semper Paratus is a Latin phrase, meaning "Always Ready". Sometimes shortened to Semper Par. It is used as the official motto of some organizations, such as the United States Coast Guard

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Really! Who do you think is going to pick you up after splashdown? Semper Paratus is a Latin phrase, meaning "Always Ready". Sometimes shortened to Semper Par. It is used as the official motto of some organizations, such as the United States Coast Guard
It'll be the Navy because the capsules land too far out. :LOL:
Sponsored