Sponsored

“You'll Almost Have to Buy an Electric Vehicle if Climate Bill Passes”

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Keep your electric tree hugging to yourself.

Wait until a hurricane or major storm tear through your neighborhood without electic for weeks. Let see how far u can go!
Uh, if that happens, there won't be any gasoline either. It takes electricity to get it out of the ground.

Or how about a plug in hybrid??

Got gas - gas it up.

Got solar on the roof and the power is out - charge it up.

One benefit of a PHEV is that it can run EXCLUSIVELY on either form of energy. Pretty versatile in a SHTF situation.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Right, you are highlighting the worst case EV and best case ICE. As far as your 10 minute fillup in an out of the way gas station vs my 30 second fill up in my garage. 10 minutes is better than most folks can expect. My Jeep club always meets at Costco or Safeway to get cheap gas. It's more like 20 minutes to fill the tank there.

Sounds like someone who doesn't own an EV. Yes, some stations have a few ports not working. They're are plenty of charging stations and it's only going to get better.
I guess you have a reading comprehension problem. I've agreed that in day to day use a vehicle that you can charge in your garage is more convenient and BETTER.

You have failed to address my points about BEVs on long trips. They suck. now. It will get better as (like I've said 3 times)

1) Charging times improve
2) charging stations become greater in number.

But until them a. BEV is a massive pain in the butt to use on a long trip.

A PHEV gives you an electric car in day to day driving and a gas car for trips.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
The problem is that there is no "debate" anymore. The politicians on both sides have been doing their best to divide Americans over the last 40 years that normal conversions about policy are not even possible.
Both side act as though political views are gospel and the important thing is not letting the other side win.
Seems hard to make meaningful progress when you have half the people considering the other half their enemy.
It's really a pity how bad it's gotten.
I'll add that part of that divide has happened because we have lost our sense of objective truth. Access to so much information from so many sources without any kind of filter regarding its veracity means that "truth" has now become whatever an individual is exposed to and chooses to personally believe. And because it's now a personal belief, any attempt to challenge it, no matter how logical the argument or how much evidence is presented, is now perceived as a personal attack. It's made it infinitely easier to radicalize people.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I'll add that part of that divide has happened because we have lost our sense of objective truth. Access to so much information from so many sources without any kind of filter regarding its veracity means that "truth" has now become whatever an individual is exposed to and chooses to personally believe. And because it's now a personal belief, any attempt to challenge it, no matter how logical the argument or how much evidence is presented, is now perceived as a personal attack. It's made it infinitely easier to radicalize people.
yes, I think social media platforms taloring the content to what they think the user wants to see is the main cause if this. No matter what side you’re on, your primarily only going to see content filtered to your side. So then it just gets more and more filtered to the point where you don’t actually listen or read any logic from opposing viewpoints. It’s all from reddit, youtube, tik tok, twitter, etc.

Basically humans are struggling at being exposed to open communication with everyone in the world all at once.

We’ll adapt eventually.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Got solar on the roof and the power is out - charge it up.

It doesnt work that way, at least none that I've installed legally. When the power is out the solar is down too.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Not sure it's unprecedented where government of industry forced a situation.
People used to commonly have gold. The in 30's the fed more or less seized it all.
Prohibition or course.
The whole GM streetcar thing.

I like Sandy sometimes but he is also a bit too impressed with himself. Did you know he worked for Ford? If you didn't, just watch 1 video. He will tell you 30 times.
Also, they act like buttons are a legacy car (ICE) carry over. Like there are buttons because it's an ICE car.
No jack-ass... there are buttons because I don't want to rear end the car in front of me because I am trying to find the heated seat menu.
We have a telsa. While I like driving it, I HATE the lack of buttons.
Staring at a screen to search for simple adjustments rather than a glance at a knob or button is brilliant and obviously easier and safer. Gold and alcohol are more extreme but done by making illegal. The energy sector, the ICE vehicles, power plants etc that use it are legal (for now). In this case they are utilizing the method specified by (44). Paraphrasing “ We are not going to ban it, we will make it so expensive no one will use it” , unfamiliar with the streetcar example.

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
https://californiaglobe.com/articles/cal-epa-asserts-shockingly-broad-domain-over-private-property/

If possible, CA can find a way to tax solar as well (j/k). I feel bad for CA residents. I am a well owner as well and glad not in CA.

Anyhoo, 70-90% of our driving involves in running errands and such. We use our EV for that.
Other fun activities, jeep fills in that gap nicely.
The powers that be here have been pushing for meters on wells on private property that we paid for and pay for the power to pump to charge us for our water has been ongoing. By utilizing their beloved “never let a crisis go to waste” method, it appears their goal will be achieved, another right eliminated!😡

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: omg

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What do you all think of pedal bikes?😂

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Good to see a few pro EV folks here. My roof has powered my cars for the last 85,000 miles, I also love to drive my fossil fueled RZR and Jeeps throughout the years. So yes people can be from both sides.

Ive done a few long road trips and sure the charging infrastructure isn't there yet unless you drive a Tesla because they were forward thinking enough to build that up with many being solar powered as well.
90% of the population have commutes where an EV is more than enough and waking up to a vehicle with enough charge is so convenient. Also we loose power a lot where I am so having batteries as backup is a bonus along with the free charging.
I think you are mistaking whether we are pro or con. I am all for EVs, I am not for mandating them where they don’t work. Or to eliminate other choices in alternatives. There is a significant size of the population that is rural. The people many politicians forget about. We use tractors, have acres to cultivate, have to work regardless of temp or weather, work hours away from a power source for more than 8 hours.
If an EV can safely drive the 72 miles I need to get to groceries and home in -40* F with the heat running full and in 4WD and possibly sit for an hour for an accident etc, that sounds good Sign me up.

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
This is the closest thing I have seen in a while to any truly open discussion on a sensitive subject and that is refreshing.

The cart must not come before the horse. You wouldn't build an aqueduct if you didn't know you had a viable long term water source... The viable energy source to feed the grid I believe is still forthcoming. Windmills and solar panels have a myriad of limitations. Beyond just the lack of consistency, storage challenges and manufacturing drawbacks they are simply UGLY. In the scale needed to totally supply the grid it would be a blight on the landscapes of this beautiful country. I know nuclear has gotten a bad rap mostly from issues occurring with technology and safety systems older than our cell phones and fusion has had the running joke that it is always 30 years away. However, although there are still challenges for nuclear fusion work is progressing and if I were to support any government "persuasion" it would be in the areas of accelerating this research in the context of what truly is the best long term energy plan. The first reactor that should achieve self-sustaining fusion is currently under construction in France, with operations set to begin within the next few years. Instead of running around yelling now, now, now and implementing whatever is currently available makes little sense vs a thought-out plan that does not economically cripple the nation in the meantime and just transfer the alleged issues just out of our immediate sight.

That said I bought a 4xe and like it. Passing cars in the UP of Michigan is surprisingly exhilarating (plus I could get there in the first place... being a hybrid). Nice to have the option to put it in silent mode in the backwoods on occasion.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Pedal Power(aka bicycles) are great, unless you work far from home. It is good for those in cities, with good bicycle infrastructures too. Not a lot of the USA is able to do this.
Sponsored