Sponsored

“You'll Almost Have to Buy an Electric Vehicle if Climate Bill Passes”

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The beauty of the internet, is there's nothing stopping you from making your own jeep forum with unrestricted freedom of speech. I imagine you're a fan of the freedom of small business owners refusing to do business with anyone right? Isn't a forum owner saying "I don't want to see your shit on my forum, go away" pretty much the same?

I'm ok with whatever. I think when debates on 'political' topics become forbidden and taboo everywhere, then they are worse and much angrier when they do happen in "appropriate" places.

Like, we're all here because we have Jeeps or like Jeeps and like to talk about Jeep things. That's why we're here, right?

But if you want to have those kinda debates you need to be able to take a deep breath and understand where everyone's coming from, and actually vet sources of data. If the talking points you make came from the radio and they fit on a bumper sticker, they're probably not good talking points.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Oh, I see. Another person who doesn't understand The Constitutional right to free speech. It's OK. It has become quite a common misinterpretation these days.
It's ok. You're in California so I'll assume your misunderstanding of 'free speech' is a regional issue.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
The beauty of the internet, is there's nothing stopping you from making your own jeep forum with unrestricted freedom of speech. I imagine you're a fan of the freedom of small business owners refusing to do business with anyone right? Isn't a forum owner saying "I don't want to see your shit on my forum, go away" pretty much the same?

I'm ok with whatever. I think when debates on 'political' topics become forbidden and taboo everywhere, then they are worse and much angrier when they do happen in "appropriate" places.

Like, we're all here because we have Jeeps or like Jeeps and like to talk about Jeep things. That's why we're here, right?

But if you want to have those kinda debates you need to be able to take a deep breath and understand where everyone's coming from, and actually vet sources of data. If the talking points you make came from the radio and they fit on a bumper sticker, they're probably not good talking points.
"Make your own Jeep site." We're not all Zuckerbergs. Not being able to talk about these things is exactly why nothing gets fixed. It's why people post things like 'what changed in 2021?' I'll give you 3 guesses, but the answer is not allowed.
To stay on topic, we were energy independent until then, prices were good, inflation was low. The data is there. VW makes a nice EV hatch I would buy but they don't sell them in the US.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I suppose it's easier when what is being said is a blatant and verifiable lie.
Except that the “fact checkers” will consciously or unconsciously use their opinion determining “truth”. Also, there have been occasions where the “verification” has later been found false and paid for by the “opposition”. No “ministry of truth” will ever be more fair than a free and uncensored debate.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Make your own Jeep site." We're not all Zuckerbergs.
Facebook is a fairly new development on the internet lol. Forums like this one were around long before Facebook existed. There are a number of options for turnkey forum hosting. It'd be an adventure for sure.

You're doing the equivalent of asking a bakery to produce a cake that goes against the owner's wishes and then crying about freedom of speech and stuff lol.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
"Make your own Jeep site." We're not all Zuckerbergs. Not being able to talk about these things is exactly why nothing gets fixed. It's why people post things like 'what changed in 2021?' I'll give you 3 guesses, but the answer is not allowed.
To stay on topic, we were energy independent until then, prices were good, inflation was low. The data is there. VW makes a nice EV hatch I would buy but they don't sell them in the US.
“Your statements are dangerously close to violating State approved standards. You have been placed on the Watch List”— Big Brother 🤐

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
You are hi lighting a completely different use case than I mentioned.
Right, you are highlighting the worst case EV and best case ICE. As far as your 10 minute fillup in an out of the way gas station vs my 30 second fill up in my garage. 10 minutes is better than most folks can expect. My Jeep club always meets at Costco or Safeway to get cheap gas. It's more like 20 minutes to fill the tank there.

You can make all the excuses you want. But for a long trip EVs still suck. And non-Tesla EVs are even more difficult. Numerous articles have been written about this within even the last few months. Taking an EV on a road trip difficult for the 2 reasons I mentioned above.
1) charge time
2) scarcity of FUNCTIONAL charging stations
Sounds like someone who doesn't own an EV. Yes, some stations have a few ports not working. They're are plenty of charging stations and it's only going to get better.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like someone who doesn't own an EV. Yes, some stations have a few ports not working. They're are plenty of charging stations and it's only going to get better.
It's also pretty common for gas pumps to be out of order. Sometimes the whole damn station. Or you get there when the tanker truck is refilling the tanks and have to decide whether you might get some extra sediment in your tank, or come back later.

LOL and don't get me started on costco.

Why are people so damn negative these days? It's never "that dude makes more than me, I should make more too!" It's "fuck that dude I hope he loses his job so he can face some hard times for once."

Electrical infrastructure needs upgrading everywhere in the US. It's a giant 50+ year old joke of duct tape and band aids. Why is it when we talk about installing new pipelines through the middle of ancient burial grounds, everyone's all like BUILD BABY BUILD! But when we talk about upgrading the grid it's all like "oh that's hard and NOT IN MY BACKYARD you aint!!"

The days of Leave it to Beaver are long past us. We need to upgrade our crappy 1950s post-ww2 relic infrastructure and we need that... a few decades ago honestly.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This latest off-topic divergence has reminded me. My yard needs mowing. It is very tall, lush, green, and very well watered. Oh, I will be using a gas powered lawn mower, weed trimmer, and leaf blower.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
40 min to an hour to recharge vs 5 min to fill
Altered trip cycles for long trips to recharge several times
Expensive battery replacements
Reduced distance levels in colder weather
poor towing capacity
Overworked grids that we keep being warned of blackouts for
high expense upfront

Oh yeah I see how EV issuperior in every way .. SMH .

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
No we dont. We need to stop growing cotton and almonds in California. Cities use 10% of the water in California and that includes watering lawns and landscapes.

We can be smarter about watering and help a bit but the real issue is somewhere else. If we let our landscapes die we are gonna be dealing with other issues such as increased heat, proliferation of invasive pests that will move to our forests and kill trees, etc..
It's funny how almond milk is one of the new fads for the enviro freaks considering how water-intensive it is to grow them.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It's funny how almond milk is one of the new fads for the enviro freaks considering how water-intensive it is to grow them.
Oh, let's not mention how California is sucking rivers dry, from other states, how their once lush Hills are now dry tinder for wildfires, their streams are dry, and how their aquifers are drained. Oh, but look at their major towns, over populated, and pleading for more water to be diverted from other states resources, to satisfy their bottomless never satisfied thirst.
Oh, it must be the Almond Growers fault. Wake up people!!!
Oh, and gasoline and diesel engines are bad for the environment??
Hypocrisy. You've got to love it.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
”They” are going to say “drought”. But that is just a way to make people feel better about restrictions, like they will be temporary. Truth is that the amount of water available can’t keep up with the demand. Not going to ever be able to anymore.

But this is a thread about EVs replacing ICE. My point is that just like gas, electricity will not always be available. And I think the solution for making power for all people is probably not figured out yet. But that has never stopped “them” from making policy.
Sponsored