Sponsored

“Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you have a small ipad, you can run it off that too. As long as the iPad has a gps antenna and all cellular capable Ipads do have that antenna (the non cellular don’t have it). Remember, you don’t need a cellular connection for the iPad nor a cell plan for the iPad. You just need the GPS receiver. So, if you want to find a couple generation old iPad on eBay that is ‘cellular”, you could have a nice big screen for gaia and gps will plot you.......
for now i dont have a ipad. but i do have regular one that runs on android. if i'm correct, i has a feature that can pin point your location. is that consider a cellular pad. that would be the same for the labtop.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
for now i dont have a ipad. but i do have regular one that runs on android. if i'm correct, i has a feature that can pin point your location. is that consider a cellular pad. that would be the same for the labtop.
If your tablet had a gps antenna and can “pin” your location via gps, that’s all you need (assuming gaia can run on that tablet). Gaia will use your gps location and pin you on the map.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I will add to the Gaia portion of this conversation that as of right now there is somewhat limited function and control of the app through the apple CarPlay touchscreen. I have to use my phone to change overlays and start and stop recording my track etc. I really didn’t want to have a separate device for my navigation, but I may try a dedicated iPad mini for it anyway. . Maybe that’s what I get for not getting the 8.4

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
You can always run a bluetooth GPS receiver, like the Bad Elf unit to give a non GPS/cellular iPad GPS capability

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
If you have a small ipad, you can run it off that too. As long as the iPad has a gps antenna and all cellular capable Ipads do have that antenna (the non cellular don’t have it). Remember, you don’t need a cellular connection for the iPad nor a cell plan for the iPad. You just need the GPS receiver. So, if you want to find a couple generation old iPad on eBay that is ‘cellular”, you could have a nice big screen for gaia and gps will plot you.......
If you’re ok with one more dongle, you can get a GPS unit that talks to the iPad via Bluetooth. Then you won’t need the cell version iPad and you can locate the GPS in a spot that gets a better view of satellites.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If you’re ok with one more dongle, you can get a GPS unit that talks to the iPad via Bluetooth. Then you won’t need the cell version iPad and you can locate the GPS in a spot that gets a better view of satellites.
Yep, that will work too. Looks like those units run about $100 new. I just checked Ebay and a used cellular ipad Air 2 (last gen to be able to run ipad OS14) is about $140. So, if someone already has a (Non-cell) iPad these GPS receivers are both a good way to go and will also save some money.

thanks for pointing that out!
Sponsored