Sponsored

“Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Does anybody know of a decent “stand alone“ GPS for sale that ncludes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? I’m finding dedicated off road units butid really rather have one unit that does it all. I want a bigger screen than my phone. Thanks!
Sponsored

blschaefer1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S
I just picked up a Garmin Overlander. It has both street GPS and a robust set of topos and downloadable USGS quads, etc.

Comes with a sturdy Ram mount.

It’s too new for me to give it a thorough review here, but my initial impressions are positive. Seems well designed, rugged. Only downside is the price, I think I paid $645 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Overl...d=1599319634&sprefix=Garmin+ov,aps,210&sr=8-3

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Garmin just introduced the Montana 700 series which will be my next GPS unit come Black Friday. Big screen, City Navigator and Topo maps all included - and if you want that capability, the 750i model will include the InReach technology which uses satellites so you have 2-way communication no matter where you are. Very expensive but worth it to me; I use a GPS all the time and am a member of the local Sheriff's Search and Rescue Unit.

But if all you want is topo maps on an automotive type GPS unit, they are easy enough to add. You can buy the Garmin 100k maps or get free ones from gpsfiledepot.com. That's what I have loaded on my 7" RV760 model so my old eyes can see the screen at a quick glance. I mean, I would never have known there was a "Boobs" Canyon to explore otherwise.....
Jeep Wrangler JL “Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? P1001133r

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Garmin just introduced the Montana 700 series which will be my next GPS unit come Black Friday. Big screen, City Navigator and Topo maps all included - and if you want that capability, the 750i model will include the InReach technology which uses satellites so you have 2-way communication no matter where you are. Very expensive but worth it to me; I use a GPS all the time and am a member of the local Sheriff's Search and Rescue Unit.

But if all you want is topo maps on an automotive type GPS unit, they are easy enough to add. You can buy the Garmin 100k maps or get free ones from gpsfiledepot.com. That's what I have loaded on my 7" RV760 model so my old eyes can see the screen at a quick glance. I mean, I would never have known there was a "Boobs" Canyon to explore otherwise.....
Jeep Wrangler JL “Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? P1001133r

I need to check out Boobs canyon.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
You can download the maps and run it offline with no data usage. Works pretty well with CarPlay too.
good to know. i do not have the carplay option. thats why i was asking because i would run it off the phone. i'll have to look and see if i could run it off the garmen gps. its at least 5 or 7 years old.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
good to know. i do not have the carplay option. thats why i was asking because i would run it off the phone. i'll have to look and see if i could run it off the garmen gps. its at least 5 or 7 years old.
If you have a small ipad, you can run it off that too. As long as the iPad has a gps antenna and all cellular capable Ipads do have that antenna (the non cellular don’t have it). Remember, you don’t need a cellular connection for the iPad nor a cell plan for the iPad. You just need the GPS receiver. So, if you want to find a couple generation old iPad on eBay that is ‘cellular”, you could have a nice big screen for gaia and gps will plot you.......

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
That’s the answer. I’ve been beta testing the apple CarPlay part of Gaia Since early this year. It’s not perfect, but it’s getting better all the time. The best part of Gaia is the overlays you can download. I mostly use the private land, public land, and MVUM (USFS) overlays. I always know who’s land I’m on that way.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
That’s the answer. I’ve been beta testing the apple CarPlay part of Gaia Since early this year. It’s not perfect, but it’s getting better all the time. The best part of Gaia is the overlays you can download. I mostly use the private land, public land, and MVUM (USFS) overlays. I always know who’s land I’m on that way.
Help me out here ......

i just tried Gaia on CarPlay. Works fine.
question though: am I correct when I say: “gaia does not give point to point ‘directions’ like google maps or Apple Maps? Gaia only gives overlays of maps to let YOU navigate?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Help me out here ......

question though: am I correct when I say: “gaia does not give point to point ‘directions’ like google maps or Apple Maps? Gaia only gives overlays of maps to let YOU navigate?
that’s pretty much correct. There is a way to have Gaia give you directions, but it just sends you to Apple Maps with the 2 points loaded in. So if you don’t have cell it doesn’t help.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a Garmin Overlander and it works great. I've downloaded GPX files for Drummond Island and Daniel Boone Backcoungry Byway and both were spot-on. The Garmin Explore maps are 3D topo and are really good. Here's a sample from the DBBB.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? IMG_20200725_131134

Jeep Wrangler JL “Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? IMG_20200725_131149

And it also interfaces with the Inreach, as well. You can also add wireless cameras.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Stand alone” GPS for sale that includes BOTH street AND off road/trail maps? IMG_20200726_213827

The Overlander hasn't gotten rave reviews, but that's because the reviewers don't own one and only use it on a trial basis. I've lived with it and the more I use it the more I like it.

Btw, that's an old Delorme Inreach unit. Garmin bought them out, so I found this one on Ebay for just over a hundred bucks. Garmin has continued to support it with the latest firmware and works perfectly.

If that new Garmin mapping unit has the Inreach built into it, then that is gravy. I'm sure it will do everything the Overlander will do, except maybe the cameras. But I'm not sure.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Help me out here ......

that’s pretty much correct. There is a way to have Gaia give you directions, but it just sends you to Apple Maps with the 2 points loaded in. So if you don’t have cell it doesn’t help.

i'm not trying to butt into the conversation. but i'm interesting in the set up. i'll have to read up on this stuff. just getting a crash course from you guys. i understand the general concept of the gaia mapping, overlaying, etc. (i took a college course in gis) so, it sounds somewhat simuliar.

my question is, as for the turn by turn navigation. couldnt you mark the turns on the map ahead of time. that way the gaia will give you the turn by turn like a gps will do.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
i'm not trying to butt into the conversation. but i'm interesting in the set up. i'll have to read up on this stuff. just getting a crash course from you guys. i understand the general concept of the gaia mapping, overlaying, etc. (i took a college course in gis) so, it sounds somewhat simuliar.

my question is, as for the turn by turn navigation. couldnt you mark the turns on the map ahead of time. that way the gaia will give you the turn by turn like a gps will do.
Maybe, I don’t know. I think that car play and Apple Maps or google maps will get me to the trailhead. Then, switch over to gaia when the 4WD lever gets pulled.
Sponsored