Sponsored

“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh I'm ever more convinced to never use them again. Which sucks because it is maybe a mile from my house.

Has anyone replaced the connector on the housing ? Do you have to pull the diff cover and mess with the harness inside, or is it the outside harness and a bolt, and then inside harness will stay in place?

I'm still not convinced it's what is causing the issue, I'm just curious if I did need to replace it. I am with everyone else that it is the internal sensor, just covering my bases because of a shitty dealer diagnoses.

CE5F4DCA-1B86-4660-A11A-40EB72D56AB8.png
That's not the part that's failing. It's the locker position sensor. It's a very simple swap. You get 5 of them. Procedure is put one in. If no fault, it's good. If there is. Go onto the next one.

You need to take diff cover off to get to it. Also need a torx wrench.
Outlined here.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/
Sponsored

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.standardroofingok.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That's not the part that's failing. It's the locker position sensor. It's a very simple swap. You get 5 of them. Procedure is put one in. If no fault, it's good. If there is. Go onto the next one.

You need to take diff cover off to get to it. Also need a torx wrench.
Outlined here.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/
Thank you. I would look into doing the pot if the dealer replaces the sensor under warranty like they should. Otherwise, Z Locker.

My connector was full of oil, and just wanting to make sure that even if it is full of oil, it is not causing an issue.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Note sure if it’s in the prior 48 pages, but here’s some actual photos of the sensor and locker actuator. And yes mine was full of oil and I was using the Zauto harness.

754F6C9D-49F0-4DC2-A6D8-C9276D418F88.jpeg

E7364426-7E0A-45D2-AC88-3B44E9665267.jpeg

67E66FCE-35DE-4ED8-BB70-F8691802633C.jpeg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thank you. I would look into doing the pot if the dealer replaces the sensor under warranty like they should. Otherwise, Z Locker.

My connector was full of oil, and just wanting to make sure that even if it is full of oil, it is not causing an issue.
That's absolutely the issue. It's full of oil and it killed the sensor.

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
There is a tech note for it. I took a copy into the dealer and they sorted it out.

thrasher949

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
So I ran into this issue and spent 2 months of FCA bullshit. My locker turned on in 2wd driving down the highway and would not unlock. I had to literally unplug it to drive home.

Long story short, I brought them the tech bulletin, they would not replace it unless the fault was currently active. They would not even remove the diff cover to inspect the connector. I told them fine, write a star case I dont feel safe on the road with that problem. They wrote one, then they said I need to take my lift off before they would address the issue (completely unrelated). Had to hire an attorney now so fuck these guys.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
You wouldn't have had that issue with the harnesses.. I don't need to risk my life for a nanny sensor.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Back from dealer. Claims that 68400411AA connector is filled with fluid and that is what is causing the short, and since its outside of axle, not covered under powertrain warranty. Anyone seen just the connector causing the issue?

Do I have a leg to stand on for Powertrain warranty claim, or do I buy a $25 connector, replace it, and when the light continues for the sensor, take it back and make them replace the sensor?

Does the Z-Auto harness work with a oil filled connector? I feel like I need to get the connector replaced regardless.

Thank you all for the wealth of information.
I went through all 47 pages and may have missed a detail due to information overload.
I can tell you my connector has fluid in it and the OE setup isn't working. I also installed the Z-Automotive OEM jumper and it didn't do anything. I'm going to pull the cover when I get a chance. It just had 4.88 gears installed and I'm betting the harness is pinched inside.

cleroks

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1987 Comanche I6
Occupation
Retired
My rear axle was replaced a year or more ago due to this issue. Then a few months later the issue popped up again, so the dealer replaced whatever part was indicated in the then new TSB on this issue. Now, the issue is back for a third go-round. I ordered the Z-Locker but before I installed it, I had the rear axle fluid drained and replaced during regular maintenance. Now, with fresh axle fluid, the error indicators are gone. I will install the Z-Locker anyway.

Sponsored

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
My 2021 Rubicon Xtreme recon started flashing the rear locker on our way to vacation. It stopped while we were there and came back on while coming home. The flashing light hasn't gone away.

Called dealer when we got home and have an appointment this Friday.

Yesterday, the service rear axle locker notification is on.

I've browsed through this thread and others and seems like all kinds of things others have done to fix it themselves.

This was a new purchase. This should be covered under warranty correct?

What should I be hearing from the dealer on this?

I'm guessing there could be parts delays to fix this issue.

Is there a danger driving it if I have to wait on parts (it's my daily driver)?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
My 2021 Rubicon Xtreme recon started flashing the rear locker on our way to vacation. It stopped while we were there and came back on while coming home. The flashing light hasn't gone away.

Called dealer when we got home and have an appointment this Friday.

Yesterday, the service rear axle locker notification is on.

I've browsed through this thread and others and seems like all kinds of things others have done to fix it themselves.

This was a new purchase. This should be covered under warranty correct?

What should I be hearing from the dealer on this?

I'm guessing there could be parts delays to fix this issue.

Is there a danger driving it if I have to wait on parts (it's my daily driver)?
Yes, it'll be under warranty. Should expect them to replace the sensor. No danger driving it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it'll be under warranty. Should expect them to replace the sensor. No danger driving it.
Long time no talk :) Do you know the sensor part number by any chance?