“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The kit does come with 5. They're numbered. You put #1 in and if it works, you're good, if it flashes, go to #2 and so on from there. I have #1 and #2 here that don't work in mine at all. I bought the kit, #5 worked and I sold #3,4 to a member here.
Oh, ok.. so maybe I misunderstood what the guy said and 1 and 2 worked on mine. Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh, ok.. so maybe I misunderstood what the guy said and 1 and 2 worked on mine. Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
Lol, ya, any normal so wouldn't think they send 5 sensors to replace one, so I really don't blame you. You should have seen me when I picked them up. I was like "I'm selling these bitches for $100 less than MSRP and buying a 392!"

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Waiting 1 month and counting for my replacement sensor....

Ordered the z auto bypass adapter. Working 100%.. FCA not working 100%.

Will chase dealer. But imo. Buy a Zauto bypass anyway. Chances are you will need one sooner rather than later. 5 min swap. Then just use it while the fca dealer network sucks itself dry waiting for parts. Swap back out for dealer repair.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
Add me and my buddy to the long list of Jeeps affected by this. Both vehicles were built within 3 weeks of each other in 2020, and are ‘21 models. He has 20,000 kms on his, mine has 47,000 kms. The light doesn’t stay on, rather cycles on/off repeatedly while on uneven ground. It doesn’t stay on, and doesn’t activate in 2wd. I’ll post up our experiences in this thread in regard to the fix next week.

jeffbn

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Well I actually have a "good news" update. I dropped off my Jeep on Thursday last week at Helfman Jeep in Houston and they had it diagnosed the next day (bad rear sensor of course), had the replacement sensor delivered on Monday, and had it installed and ready for pickup on Tuesday.

The warning message and indicator light are gone, and the Jeep appears to be locking/unlocking both axles without issue (need to go off pavement to really test it out).

Hopefully everyone else experiencing this issue due to the locking sensor (not wiring, drivetrain control module, locking actuator, etc.) can have a quick and easy repair like I had!

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well I actually have a "good news" update. I dropped off my Jeep on Thursday last week at Helfman Jeep in Houston and they had it diagnosed the next day (bad rear sensor of course), had the replacement sensor delivered on Monday, and had it installed and ready for pickup on Tuesday.

The warning message and indicator light are gone, and the Jeep appears to be locking/unlocking both axles without issue (need to go off pavement to really test it out).

Hopefully everyone else experiencing this issue due to the locking sensor (not wiring, drivetrain control module, locking actuator, etc.) can have a quick and easy repair like I had!
I'd suggest you pot it. It will fail again.

jeffbn

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Yeah I plan on potting once A) my powertrain warranty is up, or B) my diff fluid needs changing, whichever comes first.

My "hope" is that Mopar will have LEARNED from this and the new sensor kits available for purchase are better at preventing fluid intrusion, if not maybe the ones they install a year from now when it happens again will be...

I guy can dream!

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Ok that's good news for you. But crap for me. I'm still waiting on my sensor.. I'll call and complain as clearly stock is available..

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
Got it back after 3.5 days. I really do hate service departments, looks like I need to invest in a good code reader to decipher this computer on wheels. Annoyed to say the least that they damaged my harness during removal of the actuator. They did repair it, but would it be unreasonable to request a new harness as replacement? It’s still under bumper to bumper.
The actuator is cheap, and takes 15 mins to install, and the hardest part is getting the clip to release. I’ve damaged the rear one before, and was getting similar intermittent warnings.
This whole incident has gotten me thinking about potting my locker position sensor at the next diff oil swap. Drilling into cover makes me very nervous, this one is going to my mechanic friend if I can convince him to do it. He’s meticulous enough to make sure it goes right.

D2637E6F-08F3-4755-A074-74785BAA9197.jpeg

CE5F4DCA-1B86-4660-A11A-40EB72D56AB8.png

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Got it back after 3.5 days. I really do hate service departments, looks like I need to invest in a good code reader to decipher this computer on wheels. Annoyed to say the least that they damaged my harness during removal of the actuator. They did repair it, but would it be unreasonable to request a new harness as replacement? It’s still under bumper to bumper.
The actuator is cheap, and takes 15 mins to install, and the hardest part is getting the clip to release. I’ve damaged the rear one before, and was getting similar intermittent warnings.
This whole incident has gotten me thinking about potting my locker position sensor at the next diff oil swap. Drilling into cover makes me very nervous, this one is going to my mechanic friend if I can convince him to do it. He’s meticulous enough to make sure it goes right.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On CE5F4DCA-1B86-4660-A11A-40EB72D56AB8

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On CE5F4DCA-1B86-4660-A11A-40EB72D56AB8
I was equally as nervous because when I did mine replacements were unobtanium. I went so far as to buy a cheap Horror Freight drill press so that I could easily control the drill depth.

My rear was more than 50% full of gear oil and I used 4 cans of electrical contact cleaner to flush it before potting.

It is not a difficult task, but one that requires a steady hand or a drill press.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was equally as nervous because when I did mine replacements were unobtanium. I went so far as to buy a cheap Horror Freight drill press so that I could easily control the drill depth.

My rear was more than 50% full of gear oil and I used 4 cans of electrical contact cleaner to flush it before potting.

It is not a difficult task, but one that requires a steady hand or a drill press.
Lol, I'm an electronics tech with zero patience and nicked a capacitor. Hence my knowledge of the 5 sensor kit. ;)

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I know this post is somewhat stale but the locker sensor is a huge issue. I just went ahead and purchased 2 zlocker bypasses. This is essentially hardwiring the lockers with the factory switch, right?

I was going to purchase the mopar kit but this just seemed to be much easier and it was. Took me 2 mins to bypass both front and rear sensors. My light had been lit for about 2 months but the lockers still seemed to work. These killed the light and it seems to lock/unlock MUCH faster now.. instantaneous. It used to think for a few seconds, then lock, or maybe cancel then I had to retry. Now they lock instantly w/o pause. Very nice!

I had planned to use this kit to hardwire to my factory dash switches but these bypasses are even cleaner. 3X the cost but nice having the factory switch functional.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-77072413-Wrangler-Locker-Connector/dp/B079J5XQC4

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I know this post is somewhat stale but the locker sensor is a huge issue. I just went ahead and purchased 2 zlocker bypasses. This is essentially hardwiring the lockers with the factory switch, right?

I was going to purchase the mopar kit but this just seemed to be much easier and it was. Took me 2 mins to bypass both front and rear sensors. My light had been lit for about 2 months but the lockers still seemed to work. These killed the light and it seems to lock/unlock MUCH faster now.. instantaneous. It used to think for a few seconds, then lock, or maybe cancel then I had to retry. Now they lock instantly w/o pause. Very nice!

I had planned to use this kit to hardwire to my factory dash switches but these bypasses are even cleaner. 3X the cost but nice having the factory switch functional.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-77072413-Wrangler-Locker-Connector/dp/B079J5XQC4
The lock and unlock is not instantaneous. That's the downside of those harnesses. The dash will indicate unlock when they're still locked or partially locked. All they're doing is bypassing the "in-transit" function and locker plate position. They will lie to you since your only indication is the dash. You'll need to drive by feel in order to verify they're locked or unlocked, especially in off-road scenarios where the drivetrain is loaded unevenly.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes I've had this issue and I believe everyone covered it here but my front plug on my axel on the male side wire 4 pulled slightly out. Secured reziptied used 3M abrasion tape and electrial grease boom fixed.

Has anyone ever had this light turn on before (service axle lockers)? The lockers obviously don’t work and I have no idea what is going on. I’ve checked all the wiring and plugs and all seems good.

I dropped it off earlier today at the dealer, but hope they don’t blame the tires and RK lift on the issue, as it seems to be electrical.

20CE8FC8-7385-4B66-8622-EBD412F28AA5.jpeg

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]
The lock and unlock is not instantaneous. That's the downside of those harnesses. The dash will indicate unlock when they're still locked or partially locked. All they're doing is bypassing the "in-transit" function and locker plate position. They will lie to you since your only indication is the dash. You'll need to drive by feel in order to verify they're locked or unlocked, especially in off-road scenarios where the drivetrain is loaded unevenly.
I see.. so it's still better to just directly hardwire. Thank you sir.
Sponsored