4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Small update on my situation - Unplugged the rear locker harness at the axel as a precaution from getting a full blown failure. Did this about a month ago (October 2021).

Upon unplugging it, I found a pretty good quantity of gear oil in the socket and on the plug.

I cleaned it up a bit and then bagged/taped the plug out of the way. Also put a piece of tape over the socket to prevent it from getting dusty.

Around Thanksgiving I was out on a trail and decided to plug in the locker just in case I ended up needing it.

I've now spent the last week mixed driving (highway/surface streets) with no more issues. Generally I would get the SVC Locker light after a prolonged drive on the highway where the gear oil could get nice and hot.

Not much else to add here - just an update!

My assumption here is the gear oil with its suspended metal shavings in the socket was causing some short and triggering the system to throw the error.
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I used the tazer to remove locker functions when daily driving. And only turn it back on for trail use. Odd thing is that I forgot to turn it back off last time. And I ended up with nearly a month of use before the warnings came back. It's kind of odd how intermittent it is.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Small update on my situation - Unplugged the rear locker harness at the axel as a precaution from getting a full blown failure. Did this about a month ago (October 2021).

Upon unplugging it, I found a pretty good quantity of gear oil in the socket and on the plug.

I cleaned it up a bit and then bagged/taped the plug out of the way. Also put a piece of tape over the socket to prevent it from getting dusty.

Around Thanksgiving I was out on a trail and decided to plug in the locker just in case I ended up needing it.

I've now spent the last week mixed driving (highway/surface streets) with no more issues. Generally I would get the SVC Locker light after a prolonged drive on the highway where the gear oil could get nice and hot.

Not much else to add here - just an update!

My assumption here is the gear oil with its suspended metal shavings in the socket was causing some short and triggering the system to throw the error.
If you take compressed air (like the can you use to blow out your computer key board) and blow out your cable connections then make sure it’s dry(both) ends and completely gob with Dialectic grease inside and out you will prevent further problems. This will prevent or cure 99. Percent of the lights on problem. You found the problem but go back and put this anti moisture diametric grease in and around it. Good luck

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Anyone have an idea as to why the after market has not manufactured a replacement sensor for our jeepers differentials. This continuation is just insane.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Me too! I was sincerely hoping you had found the $25 dollar fix.
Anyone have an idea as to why the after market has not manufactured a replacement sensor for our jeepers differentials. This continuation is just insane.
axle locking sensor. A replacement aftermarket???

Tagoren06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR & 18' JLU
We just put ours in the shop, they came back with the actuator being the issue. They going to change out this part shortly, maybe they found a fix? Maybe they just running the line of swap parts until they cant, we put it in the shop we were expecting an axle swap given the post in here. Maybe this means there is new hope for quicker fixes.

Tagoren06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR & 18' JLU
To those whom got this issue resolved with the dealership...

How did they or you get them to recognize that it was the sensors... After they tried replacing an actuator they are "Stumped" as to what the issue is or so that what I am being told. I have mentioned to them many times to look at the sensors and it seems they just don't want to go down that route for whatever reason. Trying to find the best method to assist them to take it a bit more seriously and get the clock started on the axles... any help??
Sponsored