“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Using an ohm meter is a sort of proxy measurement technique for capacitors. The two leads of the Capacitor are always open to direct current unless there is an internal short. The reason the ohm meter appears to initially see a low resistance is because the meter is temporarily energizing and charging the capacitor. The ohm meter is calibrated to interpret a flow of current and report a relative resistance value. As the capacitor charges and the current drops the resistance reading increases. Once the capacitor is charged the ohm meter reports the actual condition of an open circuit between the two sides of the cap.

A capacitance meter will measure ESR with an AC signal at some frequency, or a series of specific frequencies, which can give you some idea of the capacitance value of the component, but it is unlikely you will get an accurate measurement while the component is placed in a circuit where adjacent components affect the observed response.
It is good to have you engineering types on the forum. We don't understand the details of everything you guys say, but we get the general idea. :like:

It is always fun to listen to engineers when they try to simplify complex concepts for us non-engineers. :CWL:

Not to worry. I get it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So what happens if everything is not groovy and you engage/disengage the lockers?

Just curious.

Cool... Thanks... So what happens whey you try to purchase directly from them?
Typically nothing, it just won't function because it is in a confused state. But I can tell you that if you ever do start to have the fail you should unplug the harness from your rear diff because on rare occasions (it happened to me) the lockers can engage in 2H while you are driving.

You simply can't buy them, I don't know the details, but you just can't. Ted @wibornz crawled up Dana/Spycer's a$$ for a week straight calling them every day and pushing them to sell the sensor to him. The guy finally begged him to please stop calling because there is nothing they can do.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Typically nothing, it just won't function because it is in a confused state. But I can tell you that if you ever do start to have the fail you should unplug the harness from your rear diff because on rare occasions (it happened to me) the lockers can engage in 2H while you are driving.

You simply can't buy them, I don't know the details, but you just can't. Ted @wibornz crawled up Dana/Spycer's a$$ for a week straight calling them every day and pushing them to sell the sensor to him. The guy finally begged him to please stop calling because there is nothing they can do.
Dana did beg me to stop calling. Jeep customer care begged me to stop calling, the customer care at Chrysler asked me to stop calling. They got to the point that when I called, they would just put me on hold until I hung up. Love my Jeep, but as a manufacturer they completely fail for how they deal with this problem. One of the girls I wheel with has had five axles under her JLUR with one of the axles only lasting about 25 miles and one day out of the dealership before she had a failed sensor. There is literally no excuse for this problem not being properly addressed.

The new Bronco has the Dana 44 with a locker in it. I wonder if the new bronco owners are going to have the same problem?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dana did beg me to stop calling. Jeep customer care begged me to stop calling, the customer care at Chrysler asked me to stop calling. They got to the point that when I called, they would just put me on hold until I hung up. Love my Jeep, but as a manufacturer they completely fail for how they deal with this problem. One of the girls I wheel with has had five axles under her JLUR with one of the axles only lasting about 25 miles and one day out of the dealership before she had a failed sensor. There is literally no excuse for this problem not being properly addressed.

The new Bronco has the Dana 44 with a locker in it. I wonder if the new bronco owners are going to have the same problem?
I did not know that about the Bronco. Ooooh this is going to get real interesting if they get the fails too.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I did not know that about the Bronco. Ooooh this is going to get real interesting if they get the fails too.
Maybe Ford will be smarter, and specify a new design, or a pre-potted transition sensor...

This and the bubbling hinge area on many Jeeps is very troubling.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Ford will be smarter, and specify a new design, or a pre-potted transition sensor...

This and the bubbling hinge area on many Jeeps is very troubling.
HAH!!!!! You think those are the only two troubling things on the JL Jeeps?!?!!?

Radiators leaking at seams.
Radiator reservoir bottles splitting at seams.
Steering damper issues.
Steering gear box issues.
Poor paint application.
I'm sure there are plenty more...

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
HAH!!!!! You think those are the only two troubling things on the JL Jeeps?!?!!?

Radiators leaking at seams.
Radiator reservoir bottles splitting at seams.
Steering damper issues.
Steering gear box issues.
Poor paint application.
I'm sure there are plenty more...
Oh no, those two just seem to be the most prevalent at this point, based on my completely scientific study of the posts on this message board...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Oh no, those two just seem to be the most prevalent at this point, based on my completely scientific study of the posts on this message board...
And here I am getting ready to put the 4th pinion seal in the rear axle.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And here I am getting ready to put the 4th pinion seal in the rear axle.
Bruh... WTH are doing?! You may want to check your breather valve. @chevymitchell had his caked with mud and didn't know it and the pressure built up in the axle and pushed out the pinion seal.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Bruh... WTH are doing?! You may want to check your breather valve. @chevymitchell had his caked with mud and didn't know it and the pressure built up in the axle and pushed out the pinion seal.
Do not rely on the factory bead of sealant to work.

You absolutely must put an extra bead of RTV on the seal or else it’s highly likely it’ll leak again.

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Well my 2018 JLUR with 41,000 miles is in at Airpark CJDR in Scottsdale for this issue now. They're going to take a look at it tomorrow, but already told me they've seen several of these and that the lead time on a new rear axle will be approx 1 month.

For those of you that had this done under warranty, did they give you any flak for having aftermarket differential covers? I've got ARBs on mine.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well my 2018 JLUR with 41,000 miles is in at Airpark CJDR in Scottsdale for this issue now. They're going to take a look at it tomorrow, but already told me they've seen several of these and that the lead time on a new rear axle will be approx 1 month.

For those of you that had this done under warranty, did they give you any flak for having aftermarket differential covers? I've got ARBs on mine.
All depends on the dealer. I could easily see a dealer giving you grief based on some of the posts on this forum and other dealers won't even blink an eye.
Personally I would just buy the Z Automotive harness and call it a day. Avoid all the dealership BS and hassle and the reality that the new axle may fail with a week or never fail... but if that one fails and your out of warranty... you'll be buying the harness anyway.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm waiting on my dealer to decide to fix it right.... So far they have insisted on changing everything but the axle, even with my information and protests...

But in the interim, I have discovered that JScan can still command the lockers to work, even with the axle fail light on and the factory switches locked out. Last weekend I went on an short trail and did get to use my lockers.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting on my dealer to decide to fix it right.... So far they have insisted on changing everything but the axle, even with my information and protests...

But in the interim, I have discovered that JScan can still command the lockers to work, even with the axle fail light on and the factory switches locked out. Last weekend I went on an short trail and did get to use my lockers.
That's good to know about the Jscan.
Sponsored