Sponsored

“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Jeep was fixed, road tested and ready for me today. Unlike most of the posts in here,
mine was the front axle throwing the code. They replaced the entire front axle assembly and the respective chassis harness.

Huge thumbs up to River Oaks Jeep and Thompson Johnson (and his techs) for getting me back on back on the road so quickly. Dropped off on Tuesday morning, ready Friday morning!
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On AB3940C9-5163-4C73-83B6-CAEB9F3499A3
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Jeep was fixed, road tested and ready for me today. Unlike most of the posts in here,
mine was the front axle throwing the code. They replaced the entire front axle assembly and the respective chassis harness.

Huge thumbs up to River Oaks Jeep and Thompson Johnson (and his techs) for getting me back on back on the road so quickly. Dropped off on Tuesday morning, ready Friday morning!
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On AB3940C9-5163-4C73-83B6-CAEB9F3499A3
This is great news. The dealership here in College Station is doing the harness and more trouble shooting to try to isolate the problem next week.

Jeepgirl73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2018 JL Rubicon
I have the same problem and been waiting almost 2 years for a fix due to parts availability and COVID. Rear axle already been replaced and now trying to get it back to the dealer when they have a loaner available since it’s my daily driver. Have an open case with jeepcares (if they didn’t close it because they’ve not followed up at all) and have had multiple flight recordings sent and now the engineer says they have to do an adjustment to the actuator.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Got my new rear axle installed, along with some other warranty repairs. Waited two months for the parts to come in.

I returned my loaner (Fiat 500C) and picked up my Jeep and it developed a noise in the rear end. I turned around and took the mechanic for a ride. He needs another day to troubleshoot and repair.

I've had more maintenance problems with this vehicle than any in my history. And i've owned a lot of vehicles, including some VW bugs and 80's Fords (in the bad years).

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the same problem and been waiting almost 2 years for a fix due to parts availability and COVID. Rear axle already been replaced and now trying to get it back to the dealer when they have a loaner available since it’s my daily driver. Have an open case with jeepcares (if they didn’t close it because they’ve not followed up at all) and have had multiple flight recordings sent and now the engineer says they have to do an adjustment to the actuator.
Hey, Jeepgirl73. If you still haven't heard from your case agent, we would be happy to locate the case and ask them to contact you. Send our team a private message that includes your case number to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

LongGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
We had a new axel installed in August because of the locker issues. We just picked up our Jeep that was in storage for three months. Ten miles down the road, the rear locker lights are on again. I pulled the cable on the diff, so the axes don't engage like they did last time; the plug was dripping with oil. We were just getting ready to regear too.
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 4FEF49CD-5DB6-4984-AC81-C16D06A73AEB

flazoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Is anyone experiencing these issues on the 2021 rubicons?
I'd be one of the lucky 2021 JLUR owners experiencing this after less than 4k miles.
In my case it began two days ago on my way home when I heard a loud (rather violent) clunk sound as if running over a rock or pothole. A few more of these clunks/bangs followed (at random intervals) clearly not caused by road condition. Then yesterday I took it out of the garage for a test and needless to say I heard banging and the dreaded "Service axle locker system" message popped up on my dash (it was the first time I saw it).
Shortly after, I happened upon this thread and I realized there are so many of us in this situation. And like most of you I wondered too why and how is this possible for a brand new $50k+ supposedly best in class off-road vehicle. And on top of it all the hope for a quick (and final) repair seems grim (with horror stories of 4 (four!) axle replacements).
In addition to the message I get the bonus bangs and clunks which I'm not even sure are even related (could it be the lockers trying to engage?).
Sorry for the long rant but I had to vent out.

Edit: I have an appointment to a local dealer (Thousand Oaks, CA for reference) this coming Monday to look at the issue. I'll mention this thread to them, curious what they'll have to say.

Last edited:

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
I'd be one of the lucky 2021 JLUR owners experiencing this after less than 4k miles.
In my case it began two days ago on my way home when I heard a loud (rather violent) clunk sound as if running over a rock or pothole. A few more of these clunks/bangs followed (at random intervals) clearly not caused by road condition. Then yesterday I took it out of the garage for a test and needless to say I heard banging and the dreaded "Service axle locker system" message popped up on my dash (it was the first time I saw it).
Shortly after, I happened upon this thread and I realized there are so many of us in this situation. And like most of you I wondered too why and how is this possible for a brand new $50k+ supposedly best in class off-road vehicle. And on top of it all the hope for a quick (and final) repair seems grim (with horror stories of 4 (four!) axle replacements).
In addition to the message I get the bonus bangs and clunks which I'm not even sure are even related (could it be the lockers trying to engage?).
Sorry for the long rant but I had to vent out.

Edit: I have an appointment to a local dealer (Thousand Oaks, CA for reference) this coming Monday to look at the issue. I'll mention this thread to them, curious what they'll have to say.
Damn, sorry to hear that !

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
We had a new axel installed in August because of the locker issues. We just picked up our Jeep that was in storage for three months. Ten miles down the road, the rear locker lights are on again. I pulled the cable on the diff, so the axes don't engage like they did last time; the plug was dripping with oil. We were just getting ready to regear too.
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 4FEF49CD-5DB6-4984-AC81-C16D06A73AEB
So it looks like the sensor unit inside is totally flooded w oil too probably causing short?

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Joined the club. 83 days old. 2021 Rubicon bought 1/3/21. 3/27/2021 SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM. Occurred after short dirt hill in 4L shifted back to 4H and around that time ding ding ding SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM. I was not using my lockers, and I have not used my lockers at all on my new Jeep. After getting home in backing and filling to get in the garage ding ding ding SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM. At dealer 3/30/21. Replaced rear axle assembly yesterday. Ding ding ding, more codes thrown. Still at dealer at day 88 of ownership. To add insult to injury this was after a 75 day Jeep cares dispute with the sales dealership using deceitful sales practices. Jeep Cares took care of that, financially whole. No I am not at the original dealer I purchased. I am at a dealer recommended by Jeep Corporate as well as Arizona Jeep Girls. Very upset as today I had planned to off-road today and instead I am sitting home on vacation without a jeep. From what I can tell on this forum and what my jeep behaved like this appears to be more of an electrical issue and oil contamination of electrical items. I hope all of you have filed this concern on www.NHTSA.gov. Normally I would not have done that for something simple, but when I saw a 30 page post on this I decided to. I have never heard of a rear axle / lockers going bad on a car not even 90 days old. On the NHTSA form I checked Drive train, electrical and Other as my problems. Unlike the rest of you I do not have mechanical background to work on my own jeep. I am very grateful that I have Max care for eight years 100,000 miles.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 407B048E-1E12-4348-B72D-9D12CDA261FF

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 4DFD99B8-F69A-4D14-9508-2DAFDDAC4E58

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So Day 1. Rear Axle Assembly replacement failed. Day 2 trouble shooting as the sensor went off on the test drive failed. Day 3 still at the dealer and my Jeep did not go on vacation with me. Sigh.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hello fellow SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM Jeepers; Everyone needs to write an online report of this condition to www.NHTSA.gov. It’s quick easy and takes 5-10 mins. Help us all out by filing your report on this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They monitor complaints on vehicles and work with manufacturers to clear the problem. I reported this as drivetrain, electrical and other. When enough reports appear then the regulator helps the manufacturer figure out the problem and then they all get recalled that are affected.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Update 4/17 - 18 days into SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM. 12 days short of lemon law. Jeep is now 108 days old. 18 days at the dealer, now fixed. Both front and rear axles and actuators replaced as well as the wiring harness replaced. Finally after the wiring harness was replaced it stopped alerting the axle lockers needed service. What an expensive debacle for Jeep. Put 200 miles on last weekend after pick up. Drove from 2000 feet elevation at 88 degrees to 8000 feet at 37 degrees up the mountain. Spent time on the trails in 4WD H. Then next day back in the desert using 4WD L and sway bar disconnect. No problems. Next weekend will test the lockers. What a cluster!
Sponsored