“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Schroll1523

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Wrangler JLU
I heard back from my dealer today and they have a "preliminary" estimate of Sept 26th for part delivery. The failure happened on Aug 4th for me and I refuse to drive the vehicle as I also have grinding noises from my front axle in 2H. My dealer has put my vehicle in as non-driveable, however, they are still showing a date of Sept 26th. This is the third issue I have had and the second major issue. I will be starting the process of a demand letter with my lawyer this week.

I would hope that everyone else that has this issue doesn't sit back and accept 2 months or more for replacement, this is clearly a known issue as the backorder locally is up to 33 vehicles.

For reference, the part in question is 68430081-AA Actuator 21-101-016.
Is the part listed above for the JLU Rubicon? I searched and showed no longer available. Anyone know or verify the part number for the locker actuator?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Reading through this thread at least gives me comfort of not being alone. My locker light came on at about 4,500 miles on a 2020 JLUR. The dealer here in Mesa AZ just called to say they have a new rear axle for me. The Jeep goes in tomorrow. But going through this thread is making me think the problem will not be solved. When the dash light comes on the rear locker light down in center of dash either stays on or flashes. So at least it does appear to be the rear locker. At least I have been able to keep driving while waiting for the new axle.
Hey, azbikerguy. Although we hope your Jeep has been repaired at this time, if you are still experiencing concerns, send us a PM!

Kate
Jeep Cares

azbikerguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited XRecon
Hey, azbikerguy. Although we hope your Jeep has been repaired at this time, if you are still experiencing concerns, send us a PM!

Kate
Jeep Cares
The particular problem with the rear locker appears to be fixed. My Jeep went in for two problems. The first was the rear locker problem discussed in this thread. I got the Jeep back yesterday, took it out this morning, and so far appears to be fixed. But the second problem is the remote connectivity, involving the assist button, SOS, and remote functions from my phone. I thought this would be an easy fix. The dealer kept my Jeep for 10 days. The rear axle took three days. The other 7 days was trying to fix the connectivity issue. It has not worked since day one. The dealer had many calls with FCA engineers. No one seems able to figure out why it is not working. Considering escalating this above the dealer (dealer worked hard. This is now an FCA issue). Going to search this forum to see if others have similar problems.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The particular problem with the rear locker appears to be fixed. My Jeep went in for two problems. The first was the rear locker problem discussed in this thread. I got the Jeep back yesterday, took it out this morning, and so far appears to be fixed. But the second problem is the remote connectivity, involving the assist button, SOS, and remote functions from my phone. I thought this would be an easy fix. The dealer kept my Jeep for 10 days. The rear axle took three days. The other 7 days was trying to fix the connectivity issue. It has not worked since day one. The dealer had many calls with FCA engineers. No one seems able to figure out why it is not working. Considering escalating this above the dealer (dealer worked hard. This is now an FCA issue). Going to search this forum to see if others have similar problems.
Understood, azbikerguy. If you still need assistance after that, let us know. Although we cannot guarantee any certain outcome, we would like to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@JeepCares - Wonder if you can help me out with this issue. I first noticed the intermittent "Service Axle Locker" issue about 10 months ago. I took it to the dealership I purchased it from and their proposed fix was an axle replacement. This took about 4 weeks, during which time I did not drive the Jeep out of fear about the locker malfunctioning while driving (this was late June). The day after my axle was replaced, the light came back on. Owing to a number of factors (issues with this dealership prior to this axle replacement), I then opted to take my Jeep to a different dealership for assessment/repair. The 2nd dealership could not isolate the issue, so asked me to drive it for a bit to ascertain what situations caused the light to come on (they assured me it was safe to drive). I took it back to this second dealership in November and they again diagnosed the repair as an axle replacement, which took another 4 weeks to wait on; so another 4 weeks without the Jeep. The afternoon I picked the Jeep up, the light came back on again. I dropped the Jeep off again the following day to dealership #2 (this was 23-Dec), and they are currently working to get this fixed, again. I'm told this has been elevated to a "STAR Case", but I'm not quite certain what that means. I wonder if you can help to expedite this repair process along. Sum total, I've been without my Jeep for 25% of the last year because of this issue. Happy to share my VIN# and names of the dealerships via PM if you would like. I'm happy with the service I've gotten from dealership #2, but I would like to get this expedited if possible.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares - Wonder if you can help me out with this issue. I first noticed the intermittent "Service Axle Locker" issue about 10 months ago. I took it to the dealership I purchased it from and their proposed fix was an axle replacement. This took about 4 weeks, during which time I did not drive the Jeep out of fear about the locker malfunctioning while driving (this was late June). The day after my axle was replaced, the light came back on. Owing to a number of factors (issues with this dealership prior to this axle replacement), I then opted to take my Jeep to a different dealership for assessment/repair. The 2nd dealership could not isolate the issue, so asked me to drive it for a bit to ascertain what situations caused the light to come on (they assured me it was safe to drive). I took it back to this second dealership in November and they again diagnosed the repair as an axle replacement, which took another 4 weeks to wait on; so another 4 weeks without the Jeep. The afternoon I picked the Jeep up, the light came back on again. I dropped the Jeep off again the following day to dealership #2 (this was 23-Dec), and they are currently working to get this fixed, again. I'm told this has been elevated to a "STAR Case", but I'm not quite certain what that means. I wonder if you can help to expedite this repair process along. Sum total, I've been without my Jeep for 25% of the last year because of this issue. Happy to share my VIN# and names of the dealerships via PM if you would like. I'm happy with the service I've gotten from dealership #2, but I would like to get this expedited if possible.
I hope they expedite it for you but once you get it back if you don't pot the sensor or get the Z Automotive harness you are going to keep going through this cycle. It could also be that it's not your sensor that is failing. There have been cases of pinched harness wires, loose connections, bad switches, etc...
The major bulk of the failures are the sensors though.
It's sad to have to go through this level of BS on a new Jeep but at some point you are better off taking it into your own hands vs. going to any dealer and subjecting yourself to the same BS.

In a way I'm glad they rejected mine because I was re-geared. It forced me to take care of it on my own and I've had plenty of happy days wheeling with the lockers ever since.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hope they expedite it for you but once you get it back if you don't pot the sensor or get the Z Automotive harness you are going to keep going through this cycle. It could also be that it's not your sensor that is failing. There have been cases of pinched harness wires, loose connections, bad switches, etc...
The major bulk of the failures are the sensors though.
It's sad to have to go through this level of BS on a new Jeep but at some point you are better off taking it into your own hands vs. going to any dealer and subjecting yourself to the same BS.

In a way I'm glad they rejected mine because I was re-geared. It forced me to take care of it on my own and I've had plenty of happy days wheeling with the lockers ever since.
Yeah, they think at this point it’s a harness or pinched wire, but they can’t seem to isolate it. I really don’t want another axle (I’m on #3 already). Let’s pray they get it expedited and fixed.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi there-- thanks for the shoutout! Please follow up via private messages with your current mileage & VIN so I can investigate your situation further. If you have your STAR case number handy, that works as well! We look forward to working with you.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
which dealer did you use in Houston? Our 2018 needs to go in for this issue.

So, I discussed earlier in this thread about my issue, which developed originally in ~March. I took it in June to the dealership and they replaced my axle. The next day, my light came on again.......Took it back to the dealership (different than the first one), who could not get it to repeat. They requested that I drive it for a bit and see if I could understand what driving pattern made it occur, since it was very intermittent. After driving it a bit, I ascertained it occurred intermittently:
1. During stop/go driving (not highway)
2. During abrupt stops
3. With quick acceleration from stop
I took it back to the dealership (#2) and they are replacing my axle (again). The one I have on there has <2k miles on it......Which I told them. They said the next step if this doesn’t work is to escalate to a “Star Case”, where folks from Detroit will come down and either fix it here (I live in Houston) or take it back up there. At this point, I’m a little frustrated, but at least I feel like the dealership is addressing the issue.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
which dealer did you use in Houston? Our 2018 needs to go in for this issue.
River Oaks. Ask for Thompson Johnson as your service advisor. It took a while, but they were diligent in getting it fixed, and very good at communicating progress along the way.

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awesome thanks that’s the dealer that does my service anyway even though now that I’m working from home it’s at the other end of the world for me. How long did they have your Jeep for the initial diagnosis?

River Oaks. Ask for Thompson Johnson as your service advisor. It took a while, but they were diligent in getting it fixed, and very good at communicating progress along the way.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
awesome thanks that’s the dealer that does my service anyway even though now that I’m working from home it’s at the other end of the world for me. How long did they have your Jeep for the initial diagnosis?
Yeah, I live in Kingwood so not the most convenient dealership for me either. I left it at that dealership the first time the week of thanksgiving and they replaced the rear axle. They said I could take it after a couple of days because it was going to take a while to get the axle in, but it’s an extra vehicle and I figured if it was there it might speed them up. I picked it up on 12/23 and the service axle locker light came on again within an hour. I took it back the next day and they put their “ninja technician” on it. He ended up replacing the chassis harness, which seems to have fixed the problem. It took him about 3 weeks to figure that out (he got COVID in that time so there was some incremental wait time associated with that), and then another week to get the part in and replace it.

Deleted member 59098

Is the Z harness a legitimate fix for this issue? Going to the dealership for a full axle swap for a $20 sensor seems ridiculous.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Z harness a legitimate fix for this issue? Going to the dealership for a full axle swap for a $20 sensor seems ridiculous.
IF it really is the sensor then the Z auto is a legit fix. Others have had success with it but some haven't and I suspect they have a different problem. Hopefully those people can chime in.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Posted this elsewhere so a bit of redundant context here, but thanks to @Jolonghorn for giving me Thompson’s contact info. River Oaks is my normal sales/service dealer anyway but always good to know exactly who to talk to.

Most people post service horror stories but I'm going to post a great service story about River Oaks Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram here in Houston today.

Our late 2018 build Rubicon has started throwing the Service Axle Locker System message intermittently and the problem is a sensor in the rear differential that gets oil seeping into it and eventually shorts out. The SOP is to replace the entire rear axle on the vehicle and a specific harness.

Gave Thompson at River Oaks CJDR service a call yesterday and explained to him the problem and he knew exactly what needed to be done. He's diagnosed 4 Rubis and taken care of them in this exact manner before, and his techs have worked very closely with the Jeep techs to sort out the problem. He had a gameplan in place before I ever stepped foot at the dealer.

Arrived this morning at 7am when they opened and Thompson ran some initial diags and saw exactly the errors on his little computer. He had already assigned the axle "ninjas" to work on my vehicle and had a complimentary rental car booked for 5 days for me within 5 minutes of arrival. He said if the repair or parts take longer than that, we can either extend the rental or swap me back into the Wrangler until the parts come in.

Thompson was incredibly helpful, knowledgable, and just a pleasure to work with as are all the service advisors I've worked with at River Oaks Jeep. I'm very thankful for how easily and quickly they are handling this situation.

Anyway, just one positive story to offset the negatives!
Sponsored