Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
After reading this entire post, where in the hell is all these jeep axles that are replace going? I would love to get my hands on a couple replacements for cheap.
Sponsored

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
2020 JLUR bone stock with 5,800 miles. Hadn’t engaged the lockers for @ month when the service light came on.

Took mine in today and dealer confirmed they would need to replace the whole rear axle assembly. Said it was the 2nd or 3rd one they had seen. They claim it will take 2 weeks for it to come in but based on the other stories here I won’t hold my breath.

Will document when it’s replaced for others benefit.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Got a new rear axle installed today to "fix" the faulty locker sensor issues. Did it fix the problem....NOPE. The dealer says the next step recommended by FCA is to replace "the module". I found the wiring diagram and can see what it’s suppose to do but... Were is the control module located?
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On A43B7029-44C3-45BD-8562-CDE36C24FD83

Last edited:

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So, I discussed earlier in this thread about my issue, which developed originally in ~March. I took it in June to the dealership and they replaced my axle. The next day, my light came on again.......Took it back to the dealership (different than the first one), who could not get it to repeat. They requested that I drive it for a bit and see if I could understand what driving pattern made it occur, since it was very intermittent. After driving it a bit, I ascertained it occurred intermittently:
1. During stop/go driving (not highway)
2. During abrupt stops
3. With quick acceleration from stop
I took it back to the dealership (#2) and they are replacing my axle (again). The one I have on there has <2k miles on it......Which I told them. They said the next step if this doesn’t work is to escalate to a “Star Case”, where folks from Detroit will come down and either fix it here (I live in Houston) or take it back up there. At this point, I’m a little frustrated, but at least I feel like the dealership is addressing the issue.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So, I discussed earlier in this thread about my issue, which developed originally in ~March. I took it in June to the dealership and they replaced my axle. The next day, my light came on again.......Took it back to the dealership (different than the first one), who could not get it to repeat. They requested that I drive it for a bit and see if I could understand what driving pattern made it occur, since it was very intermittent. After driving it a bit, I ascertained it occurred intermittently:
2. During abrupt stops
I took it back to the dealership (#2) and they are replacing my axle (again). The one I have on there has <2k miles on it......Which I told them. They said the next step if this doesn’t work is to escalate to a “Star Case”, where folks from Detroit will come down and either fix it here (I live in Houston) or take it back up there. At this point, I’m a little frustrated, but at least I feel like the dealership is addressing the issue.
At least they are addressing it but man does that suck. My suspicion is that when you get on the gas or hit the brake hard it causes the oil that has made it's way into the sensor to slosh around and cause a short.
Once they fix this you should IMMEDIATELY pull that sensor and pot it.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
same opinion

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
At least they are addressing it but man does that suck. My suspicion is that when you get on the gas or hit the brake hard it causes the oil that has made it's way into the sensor to slosh around and cause a short.
Once they fix this you should IMMEDIATELY pull that sensor and pot it.
Question: What does “pot it” mean??

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
same opinion
Oh my gosh... I have international support on one of my posts!!!!! ;)

Question: What does “pot it” mean??
At this point you may be hoping I'm going to say go smoke a big spliff and call it a day, but I'm not. My buddy started this thread (see below) on potting the sensors.
He and I took my Jeep's (used to be his Jeep) rear apart to figure out what the heck was going on since I was not covered under warranty because of re-gearing. This was around the time when all of these failures were becoming rampant but I needed to figure out a solution on my own since the dealer said no go. My solution was to harvest a good sensor out of my wife's axles since hers were aftermarket and the sensor was unused. Instead of potting that sensor I sealed the top really good with some black permatex.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
2. During abrupt stops
I'm gonna disagree with the others and say your problem is likely not the locker sensor getting contaminated with oil. The fact that the problem shows up during accel/decel says to me that wires are moving around and losing connectivity. There were some other reports of wiring harness issues and module problems causing the same symptoms, and I suspect that's what's happening to you.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Just finished trip number 6 to the dealer in the last 2 months. And the Jeep is supposedly fixed although I’m not holding my breath. We will see how things shake out in the several weeks. If things still are working I’ll then go ahead and pot the front an rear sensors. FYI here’s the work performed. Sadly, I’d rather go visit the Dentist and have my front teeth pulled with no pain killer than take my Jeep to my local dealership service department.
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 54F980ED-BC29-474B-B63A-D50B221F01C7

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Just dropped off the Jeep for what I hope will be the last rear axle change. This one took a long time for the dealer to get in. They are also going to fix the oxidation under the paint on the hood and door hinges. And repair the defrost again too. So this will be the fourth rear axle to be in the Jeep. Once I get it back I will be potting the front and rear to ensure that it never happens again.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
@JeepCares

I’ve been waiting over 3 weeks for a rear axle ordered by my dealer just to turn off this faulty light on the dash so I can use my lockers. Can you help speed things up please? PM me for my VIN#. Thanks!

2020 JLUR w/ only 6k miles...pity Jeep is replacing an axle just because of a poorly designed sensor.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
So my trip to the dealership was a complete fail. This is in the parking lot as I was leaving. They replaced the rear axle, but I'm wondering if it's the front that is having the issue now. My plan was to pot the sensor this weekend, but now.... And I'm the guy who has already had the rear axle replaced twice before this one. So if they hold true to their ridiculous procedure, they will order yet another assembly.

20201223_123633.jpg

azbikerguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited XRecon
Reading through this thread at least gives me comfort of not being alone. My locker light came on at about 4,500 miles on a 2020 JLUR. The dealer here in Mesa AZ just called to say they have a new rear axle for me. The Jeep goes in tomorrow. But going through this thread is making me think the problem will not be solved. When the dash light comes on the rear locker light down in center of dash either stays on or flashes. So at least it does appear to be the rear locker. At least I have been able to keep driving while waiting for the new axle.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Reading through this thread at least gives me comfort of not being alone. My locker light came on at about 4,500 miles on a 2020 JLUR. The dealer here in Mesa AZ just called to say they have a new rear axle for me. The Jeep goes in tomorrow. But going through this thread is making me think the problem will not be solved. When the dash light comes on the rear locker light down in center of dash either stays on or flashes. So at least it does appear to be the rear locker. At least I have been able to keep driving while waiting for the new axle.
Go search for the thread on how to pot your sensor. You will want to do that once you get the new axle.

EDIT
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/
Sponsored

Last edited: