Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input on this issue. I know you’ve been a valuable resource for many of us through your posting. My service warnings and chimes and off road pages originally indicated that both rear and front lockers were engaged while driving at 65 mph in 2H. I ordered the Z-locker and installed it in the rear harness. It did not solve the problem. So I ordered another for the front. Again. No luck. Still chimes and warnings. Ugh. Having thrown my money down that hole I am not sure what else I can do at this point other than play the dealer waiting game and get a new rear installed sometime in February and immediately pot the sensor upon picking up of the jeep and hoping that it’ll work at that point. But I’m not confident at all that’ll do it. I thought about ordering a new complete wiring harness and than using those with Z-lockers I have but hated to throw more pocket money away. Sooo. Perhaps than the question I need to ask is what specific parts / numbers do I need to order so I can fix the damn thing on my own and be done with it. I am not a total newb at wrenching as long as I have a bit of guidance. Sorry for this longer post / rant but I certainly do love my Jeep..... but my Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler needs fixing and it sure bugs me that I’m feeling “stuck without recovery gear”
Dang, I feel for you. Unfortunately you are in that sub group where it appears that replacing the sensor doesn't solve the problem. I've read where others have had loose or pinched harnesses, bad switches, etc... You may have to suck it up and let the dealer do the debugging and then when it is all fixed, pot the sensors and move forward. Personally that's what I would do in your situation.
Side note: Do you have a Tazer installed? If you do I HIGHLY recommend you take it out while you are dealing with this issue. One thing I don't like about the Tazer is it allows you to engage the lockers while you are in 2H. Couple that with a system in the Jeep that is flaking out and you will get those lockers engaged when you don't want. I'm saying this from experience.
Feel free to reach out to @chevymitchell or I in a PM if we can help. Shawn is WAY more knowledgeable than I am but I am better looking.
Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Dang, I feel for you. Unfortunately you are in that sub group where it appears that replacing the sensor doesn't solve the problem. I've read where others have had loose or pinched harnesses, bad switches, etc... You may have to suck it up and let the dealer do the debugging and then when it is all fixed, pot the sensors and move forward. Personally that's what I would do in your situation.
Side note: Do you have a Tazer installed? If you do I HIGHLY recommend you take it out while you are dealing with this issue. One thing I don't like about the Tazer is it allows you to engage the lockers while you are in 2H. Couple that with a system in the Jeep that is flaking out and you will get those lockers engaged when you don't want. I'm saying this from experience.
Feel free to reach out to @chevymitchell or I in a PM if we can help. Shawn is WAY more knowledgeable than I am but I am better looking.
Thank you! I really appreciate your encouragement. Im new to 4x4ing and the Jeep community as of April 2018. My 2018 JLU was a lifetime dream of mine and I’ve enjoyed wheeling it off road in the local coastal sand dunes, eastern OR desert, around Death Valley and recently a 5000 mile CO, UT, NV, AZ, CA backroads trip, sleeping in my Jeep with my wife for almost a month. But people like yourself reaching out to offer encouragement and assistance has been the greatest discovery of all. It gives me a sense of hope that there’s something still good in this crazy times we are in. And I’ve got more Jeep dreams ahead in 2021. I do appreciate your advice. It’s along what my thinking was... that I’m an “exceptional” problem child and currently at the mercy of FCA and I’m gonna have to sit in that waiting room and let head scratchers fart around playing “I wonder if I” games with my Jeep. I don’t have a Tazor but thank you for that important insight. In the meantime, I still plan on using my Jeep for trips, turning up the country music on the stereo to drown out the friggin warning chimes going off every 10 mins, keeping the Z-lockers in my recovery kit in the event that things go south with the lockers which are currently still functioning and maybe they’ll help me out if I’m luckier than I usually am. It’s just gonna be a slow road to getting things back to where they should be. Cheers to the Jeep Community
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 0DB38683-4BE2-41EA-8715-E38A1603D6F5

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I really appreciate your encouragement. Im new to 4x4ing and the Jeep community as of April 2018. My 2018 JLU was a lifetime dream of mine and I’ve enjoyed wheeling it off road in the local coastal sand dunes, eastern OR desert, around Death Valley and recently a 5000 mile CO, UT, NV, AZ, CA backroads trip, sleeping in my Jeep with my wife for almost a month. But people like yourself reaching out to offer encouragement and assistance has been the greatest discovery of all. It gives me a sense of hope that there’s something still good in this crazy times we are in. And I’ve got more Jeep dreams ahead in 2021. I do appreciate your advice. It’s along what my thinking was... that I’m an “exceptional” problem child and currently at the mercy of FCA and I’m gonna have to sit in that waiting room and let head scratchers fart around playing “I wonder if I” games with my Jeep. I don’t have a Tazor but thank you for that important insight. In the meantime, I still plan on using my Jeep for trips, turning up the country music on the stereo to drown out the friggin warning chimes going off every 10 mins, keeping the Z-lockers in my recovery kit in the event that things go south with the lockers which are currently still functioning and maybe they’ll help me out if I’m luckier than I usually am. It’s just gonna be a slow road to getting things back to where they should be. Cheers to the Jeep Community
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 0DB38683-4BE2-41EA-8715-E38A1603D6F5
Great attitude! One last thing, I would disconnect the locker harness from the rear diff. It will take you about 30 seconds and ensure that the lockers never self engage. Also it may shut up your chimes since it will put the locker system in a permanent disabled mode with a constant locker code on the dash. I did this while dealing with my issues and there were no bells or chimes to hear.
The Jeep is still VERY capable with open diffs due to the BLD system (brake limited distribution). You can always plug the harness back in and engage lockers too.
We are new as well... first Jeep 1/31/18... second Jeep ('04 LJ) 9 months later and third Jeep (I purchased Fat Ninja from @chevymitchell 12/19). Three trips to Moab, two to St. George and one to Ouray.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Again, solid advice. On a side note.... I did disconnect both the locker harnesses per your advice about a month ago when this started. I did remove z-lockers and plugged back in the original harnesses the day of my first service appointment to deal with this issue. There were no chimes / warnings that morning after replugging them in. When I arrived at the dealer to discuss the issue I had no codes in the system to identify that I had a problem. I showed them my photos and videos of my lit up dash and engaged locker warnings while driving at 65 mph. They shrugged and said, “come back when you have another issue”. I was told that by unplugging the sensor harnesses it erases the codes. Anyway... at this point unplugging them until they are needed is the thing to do. Congrats on your 2018 Jeep JL and Jeeps! Ha! Wow. You got yours early in the game. I had to wait til the sting gray color came out. I also purchased a 2003 TJ 4.0L that I have been fixing up. Most fun I’ve had in years.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Again, solid advice. On a side note.... I did disconnect both the locker harnesses per your advice about a month ago when this started. I did remove z-lockers and plugged back in the original harnesses the day of my first service appointment to deal with this issue. There were no chimes / warnings that morning after replugging them in. When I arrived at the dealer to discuss the issue I had no codes in the system to identify that I had a problem. I showed them my photos and videos of my lit up dash and engaged locker warnings while driving at 65 mph. They shrugged and said, “come back when you have another issue”. I was told that by unplugging the sensor harnesses it erases the codes. Anyway... at this point unplugging them until they are needed is the thing to do. Congrats on your 2018 Jeep JL and Jeeps! Ha! Wow. You got yours early in the game. I had to wait til the sting gray color came out. I also purchased a 2003 TJ 4.0L that I have been fixing up. Most fun I’ve had in years.
Unreal... unplugging the harness from the diff does not erase the codes. It actually throws a code to the screen. anyway.... posts pics of the TJ!!!! My LJ was sold to buy the second JL, I miss it but I like my JL WAY more :)

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On IMG_0079
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 20190208_125012

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I'm the guy who has blown through 4 of these rear axles. Well waiting for the 4th to come in for replacement that is. I keep forcing them to do their troubleshooting and diagnostic checks and they keep insisting on replacement instead of repair. I have explained to 3 different service writers, service managers and techs exactly what is going on, why it's happening, and how to fix it without having to replace the axle. But so long as it was under warranty I'm not going to use the Z harness, or pot the sensor. But I'm about to round 36k, so I will fix it permanently after this one gets slung under it. It's also getting the paint fixed and I've had the rear defrost, steering box, Uconnect, and V41 done on it. So I definitely understand why someone would be hesitant to buy a new one. But it's also a tremendous vehicle. I wheel the snot out of it, and generally do a pretty good job of keeping up with rigs that are built far more than mine. We just spent the last 3 days wheeling at Hidden Falls and we only had to take a couple of bypasses. And that was only on trails that are rated a 4.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm the guy who has blown through 4 of these rear axles. Well waiting for the 4th to come in for replacement that is. I keep forcing them to do their troubleshooting and diagnostic checks and they keep insisting on replacement instead of repair. I have explained to 3 different service writers, service managers and techs exactly what is going on, why it's happening, and how to fix it without having to replace the axle. But so long as it was under warranty I'm not going to use the Z harness, or pot the sensor. But I'm about to round 36k, so I will fix it permanently after this one gets slung under it. It's also getting the paint fixed and I've had the rear defrost, steering box, Uconnect, and V41 done on it. So I definitely understand why someone would be hesitant to buy a new one. But it's also a tremendous vehicle. I wheel the snot out of it, and generally do a pretty good job of keeping up with rigs that are built far more than mine. We just spent the last 3 days wheeling at Hidden Falls and we only had to take a couple of bypasses. And that was only on trails that are rated a 4.
4 Axles! Unbelievable. I can totally imagine it happening but OMG, that’s terrible. You have never had any issues with your front axle? It’s Just plain wrong.

Thats quite the mud pit your TJ found! Ha! Thanks for sharing those snaps.

Last edited:

tjmoynagh

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I’m just starting on my “obligatory” 3 month projected wait time for a rear axle replacement. After reading all of the posts I’m not convinced that once this new rear axle is installed it will actually fix the problem. There seems to be a few different combinations of things replaced I understand about the DIY sensor potting once things are supposedly fixed and will probably do that but I’m curious about what specific parts members have had installed by their dealers to “fix” this service axle locker issue. Once my rear axle comes in and is put on and it doesn’t fix the issue like @Saejin just posted, what are other things that may be needed for the next repair attempt. IPerhaps we could compile a list of parts that dealers have installed to address this issue, maybe even listing the specific part number ordered and whether it seems to have fixed the issue. Something that we can give to our service managers...

My diagnostic service invoice read: C1451-51 Rear Differential Position Sensor-Circuit short to battery or open. Ordered Replacement Axle. I’m assuming it was their rear axle they ordered.

I just got mine back from the dealer. They had to replace the front axel. I was told that both the sensor and the solenoid for the locker actuator were shorted out due to oil. Interestingly when I picked it up and went for a test drive the 4x4 pages were still reporting that the lockers were locked when they weren't. I left it again and that issue turned out to be a loose wire connector.

Although the sensor is accessible the locker actuator and it's solenoid are buried within the axel and are not accessible, at least according to the dealer. Not sure what a D.I.Y. fix would be for those buried components.

Pretty lame that a faulty electrical chingaderas or two is causing all these problems, wasted time, and $$$. That was smart to get the extended warranty.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just got mine back from the dealer. They had to replace the front axel. I was told that both the sensor and the solenoid for the locker actuator were shorted out due to oil. Interestingly when I picked it up and went for a test drive the 4x4 pages were still reporting that the lockers were locked when they weren't. I left it again and that issue turned out to be a loose wire connector.

Although the sensor is accessible the locker actuator and it's solenoid are buried within the axel and are not accessible, at least according to the dealer. Not sure what a D.I.Y. fix would be for those buried components.

Pretty lame that a faulty electrical chingaderas or two is causing all these problems, wasted time, and $$$. That was smart to get the extended warranty.
To get to the locker actuator solenoid you actually need to take the locker out of the axle. Only the position sensor is accessible by just popping the diff cover off.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I would be curious about where those loose wire connectors are located...

Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
For those who have installed the z locker harness on front and rear and it still didn't fix it what did you do to resolve the issue short of new axles? I have had mine regeared so I highly doubt warranty would cover and swap them out plus I'd still have to pay for another regear. I installed the z locker in the rear. It seemed to help but still intermittently won't engage and if it does it will disengage on its own sometimes. I haven't had the warning lights come on in 2wd yet.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
When I just did the rear one, it was still giving me errors. Once I added the front harness it all works perfectly. Except I’m broke now. And my rear connection is leaking gear oil through the pins of the connection...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For those who have installed the z locker harness on front and rear and it still didn't fix it what did you do to resolve the issue short of new axles? I have had mine regeared so I highly doubt warranty would cover and swap them out plus I'd still have to pay for another regear. I installed the z locker in the rear. It seemed to help but still intermittently won't engage and if it does it will disengage on its own sometimes. I haven't had the warning lights come on in 2wd yet.
You could also reach out to Z Auto and see if they have advice. Like me, you're in the re-gear boat so we are on our own. Don't stress because there is a solution where you completely bypass the entire system and wire to your aux switches then use the Tazer to tell the Jeep you no longer have axles so the dash warnings will go away. Yes, that is the ultimate extreme option but you avoid the whole mess. The best solution is for Dana and/or Jeep to allow us to buy the sensors since that is really what the problem is for most of us.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I just did the rear one, it was still giving me errors. Once I added the front harness it all works perfectly. Except I’m broke now. And my rear connection is leaking gear oil through the pins of the connection...
Unfortunately it's normal for it to be a little damp around there but you should not be literally leaking gear oil as in dripping on the floor leaking. Even if you were it would take forever for enough oil to leak out to cause a problem.
Sponsored