“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
I will say that I just put a z-locker on our rear axle and it does appear to have fixed the issue for now. So I guess we'll roll with that installed until whenever it is that we get the replacement axle put on and then keep it handy for whenever this happens again, lol.
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I'll just go ahead and copy and paste my post from the steering issue / Death Wobble thread.........

Yes my profile says Toyota Sienna. Moved to Colorado 16 years ago. Ten years ago I decided I wanted a Wrangler. Started making all the bad dad jokes…. shaking every gift I received. “Are the Wrangler keys in here?” Well this September the keys weren’t in the box but a picture of a Wrangler was. It was time. If a JLRU spec’d to my likely was in Colorado it would now be in my driveway. 99% ready to order. After reading this thread and doing additional research, I have firmly pressed the PAUSE button.
I’d still get the JLUR but I’m biased as a current owner. What you are seeing here is a fraction of the owners and still we have owners here that have had zero issues with their Jeeps.

I will say the steering is probably a fixed issue now that steel gear boxes are being installed on 2021s. The rear locker isn’t as prevalent, but again it’s happening only on Rubicon’s. Mines getting replaced now. I had the super fan in the beginning but it’s now gone after a software update.

So I’ve had three of the four issues and am still a happy owner.

Don’t have any paint bubbles, but again it’s probably not happening on every single Jeep rolling off the line.

I will say this is some new competition out there now that wasn’t in 2018 when I bought mine. If I were buying new today is probably still choose the Rubicon, but would definitely cross shop a bit more.

As a side note, we also had a 2016 Honda Pilot. Lots of cases where transmissions were blowing up because of radiator fluid bleed over. Lots of transmissions that were perfectly fine.
No matter what you get, even a Honda, there’s gonna be issues.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Okay...got the rear axle replaced last week on wed. Picked up with Jeep on Thursday. I saw the brand new axle they put in...got a picture of it.

Service Axle Locker System light flashed on and off a few times on Saturday. WTF?
Rear locker wasn't engaged or anything, just the light flashed on and off a few times.

Hasn't come on since, but this is a new axle and sensor...what is going on. Haven't spoke with the dealer yet because it hasn't came on since. Just seeing if it was a glitch or something.

More to follow.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Okay...got the rear axle replaced last week on wed. Picked up with Jeep on Thursday. I saw the brand new axle they put in...got a picture of it.

Service Axle Locker System light flashed on and off a few times on Saturday. WTF?
Rear locker wasn't engaged or anything, just the light flashed on and off a few times.

Hasn't come on since, but this is a new axle and sensor...what is going on. Haven't spoke with the dealer yet because it hasn't came on since. Just seeing if it was a glitch or something.

More to follow.
Sounds like it was just a glitch BUT you need to understand that you can still get a failure. They didn't put a "new and improved" axle or sensor in your Jeep. It's the same axle and sensor you had before, just that this sensor hasn't filled with oil yet. If I were you I'd take your diff cover off, pop that sensor out and pot it so it won't fail. There is a guy on this thread who is on his FOURTH axle.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I read the post about potting the sensor...will consider doing it.

Understand they didn't make any changes to the axle they put in, just would be surprised the seals on the new axle sensor would fail so quick. Hopefully it's a glitch. I've got the mascara lifetime, so not really worried about issues in the future about getting it replaced...just don't want to have the axle lock up on me at the wrong time.

I'll keep an eye on it and look further into potting it.

Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
finally fixed after 14 weeks in the shop! replaced front and rear axle, front and rear wire harness, controller and module.

tjmoynagh

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Any update to your situation. I’m in the same boat. Dropping off tomorrow to dealer.

I've had the same issue. The dealer just told me that the front locker solenoid is leaking internally and it caused a short which rendered it inoperable. The short is also preventing either locker from reporting to the instrument panel that they are engaged or not. They purchased a new solenoid but are now telling me the axel has to be replaced to fix the problem???? I've literally only used the front locker a couple times. 5K $$$

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the same issue. The dealer just told me that the front locker solenoid is leaking internally and it caused a short which rendered it inoperable. The short is also preventing either locker from reporting to the instrument panel that they are engaged or not. They purchased a new solenoid but are now telling me the axel has to be replaced to fix the problem???? I've literally only used the front locker a couple times. 5K $$$
WHOA!!!! You just said they purchased a new solenoid. That is breaking news since that has been impossible up until your post.
Can you get your hands on that? Offer to buy it? Provide more info?

tjmoynagh

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
You're welcome, @ChadR!

If anyone else is experiencing this and would like assistance while at the dealer, please send us a private message.

Darlene
JeepCares

I've had the same issue as others in this thread. The dealer just told me that the solenoid?? is leaking internally and it caused a short which rendered the front locker inoperable and is also preventing either locker from reporting to the instrument panel that they are engaged or not. They purchased a new solenoid?? but are now telling me the axel has to be replaced to fix the problem???? I've literally only used the front locker a couple times. This appears to be a well documented problem is there a recall coming? HELP!

Thanks,

Todd

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
WHOA!!!! You just said they purchased a new solenoid. That is breaking news since that has been impossible up until your post.

Can you get your hands on that? Offer to buy it? Provide more info?
They didn't get a new sensor (or solenoid, for that matter). That's still not possible. This is just a game of telephone with a garbled message somewhere between the tech, the service advisor, the customer, and a forum.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just an update on my fix. Got the new rear axle about a week ago...then the next day the service rear axle light come on again, but it only stays on for a few seconds. Thought it was a glitch, but it now randomly comes on especially when the Jeep is first driven during the day...goes off after a few seconds and doesn't come back on the rest of the drive.

Also, when I put the center screen on the 4WD system where it shows all the diffs, sometimes the center diff will show locked, but I know it's not since that is a mechanical lock to put it in 4H. In order to get it back to unlocked I have to put the Jeep in 4H and back to 2H.

Getting some weird gremlins in this Jeep with the sensors I assume. I don't plan to take the Jeep back in for now. I thought about potting, but I have the max care lifetime warranty, so I'm not concerned about dealership refusing to get this fixed down the road.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
I’m just starting on my “obligatory” 3 month projected wait time for a rear axle replacement. After reading all of the posts I’m not convinced that once this new rear axle is installed it will actually fix the problem. There seems to be a few different combinations of things replaced I understand about the DIY sensor potting once things are supposedly fixed and will probably do that but I’m curious about what specific parts members have had installed by their dealers to “fix” this service axle locker issue. Once my rear axle comes in and is put on and it doesn’t fix the issue like @Saejin just posted, what are other things that may be needed for the next repair attempt. IPerhaps we could compile a list of parts that dealers have installed to address this issue, maybe even listing the specific part number ordered and whether it seems to have fixed the issue. Something that we can give to our service managers...

My diagnostic service invoice read: C1451-51 Rear Differential Position Sensor-Circuit short to battery or open. Ordered Replacement Axle. I’m assuming it was their rear axle they ordered.

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
I didn't even know what potting was before reading this thread. Looks to be a solid solution so why wouldn't Jeep pot the sensors moving forward? Or ask the sensor manufacture to pot them.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just starting on my “obligatory” 3 month projected wait time for a rear axle replacement. After reading all of the posts I’m not convinced that once this new rear axle is installed it will actually fix the problem. There seems to be a few different combinations of things replaced I understand about the DIY sensor potting once things are supposedly fixed and will probably do that but I’m curious about what specific parts members have had installed by their dealers to “fix” this service axle locker issue. Once my rear axle comes in and is put on and it doesn’t fix the issue like @Saejin just posted, what are other things that may be needed for the next repair attempt. IPerhaps we could compile a list of parts that dealers have installed to address this issue, maybe even listing the specific part number ordered and whether it seems to have fixed the issue. Something that we can give to our service managers...

My diagnostic service invoice read: C1451-51 Rear Differential Position Sensor-Circuit short to battery or open. Ordered Replacement Axle. I’m assuming it was their rear axle they ordered.
I think you are looking at this from a logical perspective but sadly there is nothing logical about this. You are wondering what dealers are also doing to fix this problem and that's just it... nothing. The dealer's hands are tied, they are being given faulty parts to replace faulty parts so it is a crap shoot that the part is actually getting fixed.
Sadly, as proven by those of us on this thread, you need to take it into your own hands or suffer the cycle of waiting at the dealership for your Jeep.
At first I was so pissed that the dealer wouldn't address this because I had re-geared and we new re-gearing had nothing to do with this problem. Them my locker engaged itself one day while I was out running and errand. I was livid and reached out to @chevymitchell and he said "Look man, you're going to need to figure this out yourself."
That was my wake up call and with Shawn's help we confirmed it was the sensor, came up with a solution and I fixed it on my own.
Does it suck having to wrench on your own $50k vehicle that is still under warranty? Yep but one day that warranty is going to be over or you will be in a situation where you can't get the warranty work done and knowing how to deal with this stuff on your own is your only option.
Notice how those of us who addressed the issue on our own are now happily wheeling and not dealing with our Jeep being at the dealership for weeks on end... that could be you :)

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
I think you are looking at this from a logical perspective but sadly there is nothing logical about this. You are wondering what dealers are also doing to fix this problem and that's just it... nothing. The dealer's hands are tied, they are being given faulty parts to replace faulty parts so it is a crap shoot that the part is actually getting fixed.
Sadly, as proven by those of us on this thread, you need to take it into your own hands or suffer the cycle of waiting at the dealership for your Jeep.
At first I was so pissed that the dealer wouldn't address this because I had re-geared and we new re-gearing had nothing to do with this problem. Them my locker engaged itself one day while I was out running and errand. I was livid and reached out to @chevymitchell and he said "Look man, you're going to need to figure this out yourself."
That was my wake up call and with Shawn's help we confirmed it was the sensor, came up with a solution and I fixed it on my own.
Does it suck having to wrench on your own $50k vehicle that is still under warranty? Yep but one day that warranty is going to be over or you will be in a situation where you can't get the warranty work done and knowing how to deal with this stuff on your own is your only option.
Notice how those of us who addressed the issue on our own are now happily wheeling and not dealing with our Jeep being at the dealership for weeks on end... that could be you :)
Thanks for your input on this issue. I know you’ve been a valuable resource for many of us through your posting. My service warnings and chimes and off road pages originally indicated that both rear and front lockers were engaged while driving at 65 mph in 2H. I ordered the Z-locker and installed it in the rear harness. It did not solve the problem. So I ordered another for the front. Again. No luck. Still chimes and warnings. Ugh. Having thrown my money down that hole I am not sure what else I can do at this point other than play the dealer waiting game and get a new rear installed sometime in February and immediately pot the sensor upon picking up of the jeep and hoping that it’ll work at that point. But I’m not confident at all that’ll do it. I thought about ordering a new complete wiring harness and than using those with Z-lockers I have but hated to throw more pocket money away. Sooo. Perhaps than the question I need to ask is what specific parts / numbers do I need to order so I can fix the damn thing on my own and be done with it. I am not a total newb at wrenching as long as I have a bit of guidance. Sorry for this longer post / rant but I certainly do love my Jeep..... but my Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler needs fixing and it sure bugs me that I’m feeling “stuck without recovery gear”
Sponsored