“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
So... just to be clear... are your saying that after both axles were replaced the dash lights / off road pages are still messed up?
Yes both axles front wire harness and controller and still have the same symptoms
Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Yes both axles front wire harness and controller and still have the same symptoms
Geez. This is a bummer for sure. I have tried the z-lockers with no success... I disconnected everything for the past week. Yesterday before I took my Jeep to the dealer to start “the process”, I plugged the original harnesses back in. And of course... everything worked fine. . There were no codes and I was told to continue driving and show back up at the dealership when the problem rears it’s head again. Ugh. It’s been almost a month of the problem and now it’s more waiting.

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
So we heard from the dealership today and it is the sensor and will require a new axle, which are back ordered until at least the end of December :facepalm:. They said the obvious in that it's safe to drive even if the rear axle is locked, so we're going to pick it back up while we wait - but it's certainly not ideal for every day driving. It's mind boggling to me that they A: haven't come out with a replacement part that resolves this issue yet and B: that they'd build these with an internal sensor that can't be replaced without having to replace the whole axle in the first place. I blame myself for not doing more research on known issues with the JL Rubi's before we bought it - knowing that we'd potentially be replacing axles every few thousand miles would have definitely changed my mind on pulling the trigger.

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got word from the dealer that they received the new rear axle (2 weeks since I dropped it off) and I could pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Looks like good news, but I'll keep an eye on things when I pick it up Friday morning and drive it back home.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So we heard from the dealership today and it is the sensor and will require a new axle, which are back ordered until at least the end of December :facepalm:. They said the obvious in that it's safe to drive even if the rear axle is locked, so we're going to pick it back up while we wait - but it's certainly not ideal for every day driving. It's mind boggling to me that they A: haven't come out with a replacement part that resolves this issue yet and B: that they'd build these with an internal sensor that can't be replaced without having to replace the whole axle in the first place. I blame myself for not doing more research on known issues with the JL Rubi's before we bought it - knowing that we'd potentially be replacing axles every few thousand miles would have definitely changed my mind on pulling the trigger.
Are you kidding me?!?! They told you it's safe to drive with the rear axle locked?!?! "Technically" they are "right" but you risk doing some serious damage to the axle (but who cares I guess since it's getting replaced). Go take a turn at 25 mph on dry pavement while that axle is locked and tell me what you think.
I'm dumbfounded they didn't just simply unplug the harness from the diff thereby DISABLING the locker. You can do this yourself and I recommend you do. It will take you all of 90 seconds.

Sponsored

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, they originally said their master tech said he didn't think the diff was actually locked... I told them that it may not have been locked when they looked at it, because we'd seen two different scenarios - one where the light is blinking and it felt like it wasn't actually locked, and one where it is on solid and it most definitely was locked, we certainly know what it feels like to drive with the axel locked. They then said that it would be safe to drive locked, "we'd just feel it if we make a turn below 10 mph". I'm really mind blown by the whole situation. I'll look up how to disconnect the harness and definitely to that while we wait on our new, but soon to be broken again axle.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they originally said their master tech said he didn't think the diff was actually locked... I told them that it may not have been locked when they looked at it, because we'd seen two different scenarios - one where the light is blinking and it felt like it wasn't actually locked, and one where it is on solid and it most definitely was locked, we certainly know what it feels like to drive with the axel locked. They then said that it would be safe to drive locked, "we'd just feel it if we make a turn below 10 mph". I'm really mind blown by the whole situation. I'll look up how to disconnect the harness and definitely to that while we wait on our new, but soon to be broken again axle.
Its pretty obvious how to unplug it when you look at the pumpkin on the axle. It’s the only electrical connector there.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unreal.
Just lay under the rear bumper and look at the plug on the top right of the diff. There is a little red tab you need to slide back to unlock it and then simply pull it off.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Are you kidding me?!?! They told you it's safe to drive with the rear axle locked?!?! "Technically" they are "right" but you risk doing some serious damage to the axle (but who cares I guess since it's getting replaced). Go take a turn at 25 mph on dry pavement while that axle is locked and tell me what you think.
I'm dumbfounded they didn't just simply unplug the harness from the diff thereby DISABLING the locker. You can do this yourself and I recommend you do. It will take you all of 90 seconds.
Why in the world on you on the forum!? Lol.

Don't you have a Uhaul to be loading up to move away from me. :)

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So we asked them about just unhooking the harness and they said they wouldn't do it, and don't recommend it because that connection also controls the abs, 4 wheel drive and other things that would then not work - does that sound right? I don't know what to trust from these guys right now.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So we asked them about just unhooking the harness and they said they wouldn't do it, and don't recommend it because that connection also controls the abs, 4 wheel drive and other things that would then not work - does that sound right? I don't know what to trust from these guys right now.
B U L L S H I T

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Run as far away as you can from that dealer. That plug has NOTHING to do with your ABS sensors or whether or not you can put the Jeep in 4wd. I drove around for over a month with that plug disconnected and had ZERO problems.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That should be fun in the snow in corners.... WOW

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
I'll just go ahead and copy and paste my post from the steering issue / Death Wobble thread.........

Yes my profile says Toyota Sienna. Moved to Colorado 16 years ago. Ten years ago I decided I wanted a Wrangler. Started making all the bad dad jokes…. shaking every gift I received. “Are the Wrangler keys in here?” Well this September the keys weren’t in the box but a picture of a Wrangler was. It was time. If a JLRU spec’d to my likely was in Colorado it would now be in my driveway. 99% ready to order. After reading this thread and doing additional research, I have firmly pressed the PAUSE button.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'll just go ahead and copy and paste my post from the steering issue / Death Wobble thread.........

Yes my profile says Toyota Sienna. Moved to Colorado 16 years ago. Ten years ago I decided I wanted a Wrangler. Started making all the bad dad jokes…. shaking every gift I received. “Are the Wrangler keys in here?” Well this September the keys weren’t in the box but a picture of a Wrangler was. It was time. If a JLRU spec’d to my likely was in Colorado it would now be in my driveway. 99% ready to order. After reading this thread and doing additional research, I have firmly pressed the PAUSE button.
I agree with that choice. I love my Rubicon, but between the paint bubbling on the doors, locker system fail, steering stabilizer, turbo jet fan, and no real fixes so far, Im a little sour right now.
Sponsored