Sponsored

“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
First off I want to thank all of you dearly for taking the time to participate in these threads great information thank you. I got the
“Service Axle Locker System”
Intermittently then it came on daily and would go out its a 2019 rubicon no issues till 23k miles. Brought to dealer they said they never heard of this I pointed out from info I got on here about the star case and they replaced the actuator and transfer case module and they said that was also their diagnosis. I wasn't 15 miles down the road when I got a service 4wd system light I figured lets ee how much longer before other things happen sure enough the next day service axle locker system came on I will let the dealership know on Monday. In the mean time i will go over the connections and fuses to see if i can find something byw i dont know why but i do find that fuses do come loose on this vehicle and I dont know why. Thank you all good luck and i will let you know what happened.
Hi @GPWER
We certainly are sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you. Please know that our team is happy to offer additional support during your dealer visit - feel free to send us a private message with your VIN so that we may further assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Got it back today. So far with a little over two hours of driving it's good. I took it out to a gravel road to engage the locker just to ensure that it still engages and releases as well. Fingers crossed that this one lasts where the last one didn't.
Hello @jeepingib
We are happy to see that this has been resolved for you! If you come across any future concerns, please know that our team is happy to help. We are only a private message away!

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped it back off on Saturday Morning and told them I wasn't driving it because it locked up on me. They wont have someone looking at it until today and their plan is to just unplug it and take it for a test drive to see if it locks. if that works out, they are going to tell me to come get it and drive it like that until September when my new axle comes in. Is it unreasonable for me to think that driving the jeep with a harness unplugged and hoping it doesn't engage on it's own or otherwise completely take a shit while I'm driving it is NOT OK!? We're in the middle of summer, when all of the trails are opening in CO, and I don't really trust my Jeep on the trail.:headbang:
If that harness is unplugged you have no worries of the locker engaging, it can't. It sucks not having the lockers but I did wheel with them disconnected and the Jeep is still a beast, especially with the Rubi transfer case and all models have Brake Limited Distribution. I wasn't going to pass up a good day of wheeling just because I was in the midst of dealing with the locker issue.
If I were you, I'd unplug it and enjoy it. When the axle comes in let them replace it and then at some other time in the future deal with the entire mess again like others who had the axle replaced... lol. OR fork over $175 to Tazer and fix it yourself and have the peace of mind you won't need to screw with it anymore.
You either play the warranty game or you do it on your own. I was forced out of the warranty game so I fixed it in 10 mins on my own.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got my Jeep back, after showing up at the dealership because they wouldn’t pick up the phone or call me with an update. They told me it was safe to drive but not to mess with the lockers. Locker lights still flashing.. well the rear locker engaged itself on my way home. Unfuckingbelieveable! @JeepCares do you all want to start taking this seriously or should I just contact an attorney now?
Are you working with a case manager through Jeep Wave at this time? Please send our team a private message if you are in need of support.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I really find as many problems on a Jeep JL :crying:

I am not only talking about the problem reported here, but about all problems (small and much bigger).

For example, on mine (3000 km) I have metal chips in the front axle. Discovered well by chance because I wanted to put stronger axle covers, because otherwise I would have noticed this problem only during the oil change scheduled much later and that, perhaps, out of warranty
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/metal-chips-in-the-front-axle.53915/

Coming back to the problem of this subject, it seems that ZAutomotive has found a solution.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-system-lockers-wont-engage-disengage.55039/

@JeepCares and @FCA

You should hire as a consultant Mr. "Zautomotive", he would have many things to teach you to turn a Jeep (which was a legend) into a new "Jeep of legend" because there I have very serious doubts since the purchase by FCA.

Here in Europe, Fiat (FCA) has always had (for several decades!) a very, very bad reputation for quality in their production (except maybe in very rare cases, and not even sure).
Jeep has lost a lot with this buyout, it's very easy to "kill" a legend, and very difficult if not impossible to come back to it afterwards.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 2019 with 14k miles has thrown this code three times. Got an appoint in a few weeks. Was told I should maybe not drive it.. Thanks, no loaner and my only car.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 with 14k miles has thrown this code three times. Got an appoint in a few weeks. Was told I should maybe not drive it.. Thanks, no loaner and my only car.
Unplug the harness from the front and rear differential and you can drive it safely. With that harness unplug it can't engage the lockers on it's own randomly.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also you do get free loaners through the Jeep Wave program, tell the dealership.

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Well, I just got my Jeep back after a week at the dealership for them to tell me I need a new axle (Duh) but they are not available until sometime in September. Annoying but grateful they are going to replace it I guess. I only have 2K MILES on my jeep went this happened to that's annoying.

Does anyone know if @Jeep (@JeepCares ) is doing an ACTUAL FIX of this sensor or just handing out the same faulty axles?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just got my Jeep back after a week at the dealership for them to tell me I need a new axle (Duh) but they are not available until sometime in September. Annoying but grateful they are going to replace it I guess. I only have 2K MILES on my jeep went this happened to that's annoying.

Does anyone know if @Jeep (@JeepCares ) is doing an ACTUAL FIX of this sensor or just handing out the same faulty axles?
As of now it's the same faulty axles based on others having them replaced and then having the failure again. Who knows, maybe the next batch they have addressed the solenoid issue. Sadly FCA probably won't be making any sort of "announcement" that they revamped the solenoids because that would open the door for every Rubi owner to want the solenoid replaced even if they aren't failing.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just know I am on Jeep like crazy. I have my case elevated to a Jeep/ Chrysler rep now. He said he would call me back on Thursday, but he did not. I will be calling them again on Monday. I will not rest until they address this.

I bought a whole new axle to get a new sensor. Put it in before I left on a 5000+ mile wheeling trip. That new sensor went bad at just over 2,000 miles. So now I have two bad sensors. Being retired, I have the time to call them. Sometimes twice in a day. Dana Aftermarket is basically begging me to stop calling them I will be unrelenting. They will fix this problem. I will not let them ignore it.

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

I had my axle replaced in June and the error message popped back up the next day. I took it back and they could not get it to repeat. I’m currently driving it around periodically (second vehicle) to get the error to repeat so I can tell them what to do to make it occur. There is no code left in the computer once the error goes away, which it does quickly.

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I had my axle replaced in June and the error message popped back up the next day. I took it back and they could not get it to repeat. I’m currently driving it around periodically (second vehicle) to get the error to repeat so I can tell them what to do to make it occur. There is no code left in the computer once the error goes away, which it does quickly.
Man that sucks...sorry.

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
As of now it's the same faulty axles based on others having them replaced and then having the failure again. Who knows, maybe the next batch they have addressed the solenoid issue. Sadly FCA probably won't be making any sort of "announcement" that they revamped the solenoids because that would open the door for every Rubi owner to want the solenoid replaced even if they aren't failing.
That's frustrating! Thanks for the info. HEY, can you please let me know WHERE I should disconnect the harness while waiting? Is there just one running into the rear diff? Pardon my ignorance around this; I haven't messed around underneath. Thanks!

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Add me to the "gear oil in the sensor" list. :mad:
I have an open case with Jeep Cares, but of course that isn't going anywhere.

I've dug into the issue quite a bit and it seems like the fine metal particles in the gear oil are shorting the sensor's PCB. You can confirm this yourself by checking the resistance between the two outer pins on the sensor. If there is any continuity (any resistance shown, rather than an open circuit) then the sensor has been contaminated with oil. I can't remember which two pins that corresponds to on the 4-pin axle connector, but you could check it there without taking off the diff cover if you knew which two pins to check.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arranty-part-not-available-for-puchase.54531/

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just know I am on Jeep like crazy. I have my case elevated to a Jeep/ Chrysler rep now. He said he would call me back on Thursday, but he did not. I will be calling them again on Monday. I will not rest until they address this.

I bought a whole new axle to get a new sensor. Put it in before I left on a 5000+ mile wheeling trip. That new sensor went bad at just over 2,000 miles. So now I have two bad sensors. Being retired, I have the time to call them. Sometimes twice in a day. Dana Aftermarket is basically begging me to stop calling them I will be unrelenting. They will fix this problem. I will not let them ignore it.
Wait... you bought a new axle right before we saw you in Moab AND it failed too!!! WTH!!!!!! I thought you had put the Z Automotive harness in.
Sponsored