“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

Goliathjl

First Name
Mhelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR STING GRAY
Brought my jeep in two weeks ago and all they did was update the software. Light came on again and i brought it in for the second time they said i need an alignment and then they can clear the codes to see if that works. Only thing i have on the jeep is currie antirock sway bar kit. Jeep is on a 2in mopar lift on 37s bought from dealership.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Brought my jeep in two weeks ago and all they did was update the software. Light came on again and i brought it in for the second time they said i need an alignment and then they can clear the codes to see if that works. Only thing i have on the jeep is currie antirock sway bar kit. Jeep is on a 2in mopar lift on 37s bought from dealership.
Wow, talk about the lazy way out. Maybe check out another dealer. How do you like the Currie?

KerryG

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
2018 SLUR with 35,000 miles with the same issue. Dealer has been waiting on parts for a month now and says they should be in any day (I'll believe that when I get the call to come in). At least I have my Jeep and everything seems to be working, its just throwing the error all the time.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
2018 SLUR with 35,000 miles with the same issue. Dealer has been waiting on parts for a month now and says they should be in any day (I'll believe that when I get the call to come in). At least I have my Jeep and everything seems to be working, its just throwing the error all the time.
Same here. Apparently the axles are on a backorder now.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did it work? Good grief man clean that engine! :)
Make sure those ground connections aren't touching on the fender. I usually stick a piece of cardboard between since that wire keeps falling back.
Dropped my Jeep back off at another dealership last Friday after the light came in intermittently with my NEW axle. They called Wednesday and can’t seem to get the light to come on. They are aware of the comments from this forum and I think they are earnestly trying to address it. Any tricks to get the light to trigger? Mine was coming on when I stopped at low speed, but not now, of course.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Dropped my Jeep back off at another dealership last Friday after the light came in intermittently with my NEW axle. They called Wednesday and can’t seem to get the light to come on. They are aware of the comments from this forum and I think they are earnestly trying to address it. Any tricks to get the light to trigger? Mine was coming on when I stopped at low speed, but not now, of course.
Sharp turns when cold seemed to always set it off for me. Before it got worse and just started going off all the time that is.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I would disconnect the harness from the axle since mine decided all on it's own to lock while I was driving down the road.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like there are three different reasons the problem happens. Damaged or not properly connected harness, chafed wires inside the diff or the faulty solenoid. If you notice it comes on when you do certain things keep doing those things until you can establish a pattern that will cause it then have them get in the Jeep with you and show them how it comes on.
In some ways I'm glad that the dealership told me they won't fix it because it forced me to find out the problem and fix it on my own which turned out to be easy. I'm not bragging, not at all, just saying you guys are dealing with such a freaking nightmare with this stuff and I'm off wheeling with lockers. If anyone wants to crack their diff open and do some diagnostics feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it.

hansenr3

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Had the same thing happen to me in 2018-19. They replaced module, harness and axle and now seems to be cleared up.

in April i started having a bunch of other Issues where every light would come on in the dash, and lose power steering while driving and then eventually could turn the jeep off and back on and it would be all clear and back to normal. Dealer replaced sway bar disconnect module and power steering pump.

2 months later, now i am getting ABS, ESC, serv 4x4, air bag light, sway bar disconnect unavailable, TPMS unavailable, No Bus message and lose speedometer while driving and not able to turn the jeep off. Stalling it and then can put into accessory mode and wait about an hour and it will then allow me to turn it off. Dealer already updated Pcm and did a bunch of tests last week, but now it is still acting up and back at dealer. I am past my basic warranty, but have had electrical issues since the first 10,000 kms. I have FCA canada involved and hopefully they can resolve the issue!!

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 8F252A77-E641-40AD-973F-6DC2F34B1FB9

Rubi JLU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it looks like I am joining this club. I was on the way home from a 3 week road trip on the freeway when the light first came on. "Service axle locker system". It came on for just second initially and about 30 minutes later came on again and stayed on. I have an appointment on Monday to have them take a look.

I already had the rear diff replaced after the locker light would not go off. @JeepCares - seems crazy that I am already having issues with this system after already replacing the rear diff.

Sponsored

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dropped my 2020 JLUR off at the dealership last Thursday, flashing rear axle locker light (on dash and switch) won’t unlock the rear even though it shouldn’t be locked (it’s in 2h). Just got an update that they replaced the “Drivetrain control module“ and that it didn’t fix anything. They said they are getting a signal from the sensor (telling the system that the rear is locked) even when they unplug it? That’s why they started with the DTCM. They just opened a “star” case to see what to do next.. they also asked me if I had regeared, I thankfully did not. How can I help guide them so my Jeep doesn’t sit for weeks with them replacing parts that won’t fix the issue? @JeepCares I May be reaching out if they keep stumbling to fix a KNOWN issue.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Glad I bought a Sport. Dynatrac axles (and for that matter real Dana axles, not the mopar spec'd garbage on our jeeps) have zero Mopar junk in them. Same with manual sway bar disconnects, zero mopar junk. Sorry for everyones problems, hope you guys get taken care of.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped my 2020 JLUR off at the dealership last Thursday, flashing rear axle locker light (on dash and switch) won’t unlock the rear even though it shouldn’t be locked (it’s in 2h). Just got an update that they replaced the “Drivetrain control module“ and that it didn’t fix anything. They said they are getting a signal from the sensor (telling the system that the rear is locked) even when they unplug it? That’s why they started with the DTCM. They just opened a “star” case to see what to do next.. they also asked me if I had regeared, I thankfully did not. How can I help guide them so my Jeep doesn’t sit for weeks with them replacing parts that won’t fix the issue? @JeepCares I May be reaching out if they keep stumbling to fix a KNOWN issue.
If it's complaining about the sensor it is most likely the positioning sensor is full of gear oil.

Cindyb13

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Hello, new to this board for unfortunate reason. I have a Rubicon recon 2020, just hit 2,000 miles. On way back from 5 hour trip, 4 hours into return trip the rear axle lock light started flashing, and the dashboard light went on. Almost home, the dash flashed something about service axle (flashed very quickly) and then light stopped blinking. I'm reading all these posts and understanding there is obviously some defect, sounds like a defective solenoid allowing fluid to leak into sensor? My question is, can I continue to safely drive the vehicle until Jeep figures this out? We are not doing off roading etc. We are pulling a travel trailer but all else is fine with Jeep, just the flashing light. I don't want to drop it off at the dealer if it's going to sit there for weeks/months until there is a fix, we have a bunch more of camping trips planned. So....can we continue to drive the vehicle or is there some safety issue?? Perhaps Jeep can answer this question? Thanks in advance.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Hello, new to this board for unfortunate reason. I have a Rubicon recon 2020, just hit 2,000 miles. On way back from 5 hour trip, 4 hours into return trip the rear axle lock light started flashing, and the dashboard light went on. Almost home, the dash flashed something about service axle (flashed very quickly) and then light stopped blinking. I'm reading all these posts and understanding there is obviously some defect, sounds like a defective solenoid allowing fluid to leak into sensor? My question is, can I continue to safely drive the vehicle until Jeep figures this out? We are not doing off roading etc. We are pulling a travel trailer but all else is fine with Jeep, just the flashing light. I don't want to drop it off at the dealer if it's going to sit there for weeks/months until there is a fix, we have a bunch more of camping trips planned. So....can we continue to drive the vehicle or is there some safety issue?? Perhaps Jeep can answer this question? Thanks in advance.
One poster says that his rear locker locked up and would not unlock, this could be problematic during low speed road driving, downright dangerous at highway speeds. Only one person has had this problem so far that I've seen, but it's probably best to know worse case scenario. Some guys are disconnecting the plug at the axle to get by until repaired, won't be able to use it, but it shouldn't self actuate if it's unplugged.
Sponsored