Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
They are doing that for me when I bring it back to actually get the work done. It takes a while to get parts to middle of nowhere west Texas. So they verified and ordered parts today. And I'll bring it back in a week or so when the axle actually gets here.
So they are replacing the axle... again. If I were you I'd go ahead and schedule an appointment about 6 months out for one the new axle has a problem... lol.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
They are doing that for me when I bring it back to actually get the work done. It takes a while to get parts to middle of nowhere west Texas. So they verified and ordered parts today. And I'll bring it back in a week or so when the axle actually gets here.
That would mean you have to drive 4 hours round trip to the dealer 3 seperate times. Why not request a loaner today and leave your jeep with them so you only have to drive back one more time and dont have to put miles on your jeep driving back a week later? Also, when dealers provide a loaner car on their dime, they naturally seem more motivated to get parts there and get things fixed in a timely manner.

mallratt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Well I’m apart of this club now! Lol unfortunately my 18 JLR just hit 36,001 miles last week, but I’m assuming this will be covered under the power train warranty. Zero mods and almost never been off road. Had the light flicker for a second and then come on steady a minute later. Made an appointment with the dealer here in Adams, NY. @JeepCares I sent you a message, I need your help!

My dealership said my wave program expired and they won’t offer a rental until after they’ve diagnosed it (which I was told would be a day or two) and it HAS to be considered “undriveable” to warrant a rental.

Last edited:

LongGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
First-time poster here, happy to find this thread.

First Jeep. We have a 2020 JLU Rubicon with a few mods to include a 2.5" AEV lift, 37's, and an AEV diff cover. Several weeks ago, we experienced the same issue with the locker indicator lights while driving on the highway. We stopped in at the nearest dealer at the time, the mechanics spent some time trying to help us out, but couldn't get a code. It was after hours, and we were in a rush to get home, halfway across the country. We figured we would take into our local dealer once we made it back. It turns out the local dealer isn't is willing to cover the axle under warranty with the mods, especially the diff cover. We just left another dealer today, that's over two hours from us. They were willing to order a new rear axle because we haven't regeared. They said the axle is on backorder and have no idea how long it will take to come in. We're incredibly grateful we don't have to shell out several thousand dollars for a known electrical issue in a 6-month-old vehicle that we paid over 50k for.... If it came to that, we'd consider upgrading axles and go with air lockers.

Craziness, hopefully, this will get sorted out for everyone!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First-time poster here, happy to find this thread.

First Jeep. We have a 2020 JLU Rubicon with a few mods to include a 2.5" AEV lift, 37's, and an AEV diff cover. Several weeks ago, we experienced the same issue with the locker indicator lights while driving on the highway. We stopped in at the nearest dealer at the time, the mechanics spent some time trying to help us out, but couldn't get a code. It was after hours, and we were in a rush to get home, halfway across the country. We figured we would take into our local dealer once we made it back. It turns out the local dealer isn't is willing to cover the axle under warranty with the mods, especially the diff cover. We just left another dealer today, that's over two hours from us. They were willing to order a new rear axle because we haven't regeared. They said the axle is on backorder and have no idea how long it will take to come in. We're incredibly grateful we don't have to shell out several thousand dollars for a known electrical issue in a 6-month-old vehicle that we paid over 50k for.... If it came to that, we'd consider upgrading axles and go with air lockers.

Craziness, hopefully, this will get sorted out for everyone!
I recommend you disconnect the wiring harness from each axle. Mine flaked out enough that it locked the rear axle on it's own, while I was driving and would not unlock. Details back in the thread if you are interested but for peace of mind I'd disconnect the harnesses.

LongGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I recommend you disconnect the wiring harness from each axle. Mine flaked out enough that it locked the rear axle on it's own, while I was driving and would not unlock. Details back in the thread if you are interested but for peace of mind I'd disconnect the harnesses.

Thank you, will do!

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
That would mean you have to drive 4 hours round trip to the dealer 3 seperate times. Why not request a loaner today and leave your jeep with them so you only have to drive back one more time and dont have to put miles on your jeep driving back a week later? Also, when dealers provide a loaner car on their dime, they naturally seem more motivated to get parts there and get things fixed in a timely manner.
That would have been great, but it's a small dealership, that just lost most of his inventory to hail. He said that he didn't have anything for me to borrow today. I told them on Thursday exactly what it was and that they needed to get an axle to replace it the way that FCA wants, but of course they have to verify before ordering parts.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
So they are replacing the axle... again. If I were you I'd go ahead and schedule an appointment about 6 months out for one the new axle has a problem... lol.
He actually was pushing lemon law if it happens again. He said it's the best way to get the bean counters to stop messing around and fix the problem. I'm not his first Rubicon to have issues.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
That would have been great, but it's a small dealership, that just lost most of his inventory to hail. He said that he didn't have anything for me to borrow today. I told them on Thursday exactly what it was and that they needed to get an axle to replace it the way that FCA wants, but of course they have to verify before ordering parts.
Gotcha...You can typically workout getting a loaner when calling to make the initial appointment. When dealers know they won't have a vehicle available, most can easily rent cars for guests and have it waiting for you. Both of my local dealers have accounts with enterprise and have rented cars for me several times.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Okay so my JLUR is going into a local very competent shop on July 1st. My Service Locker light is on full time and has been for the last several hundred miles. The dealership will not warranty it as it has been re geared. I get it, I have mortified it and would do it again. If you are going to play, you will eventually pay. If it is to crazy to fix, may have to step to one ton axles......

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so my JLUR is going into a local very competent shop on July 1st. My Service Locker light is on full time and has been for the last several hundred miles. The dealership will not warranty it as it has been re geared. I get it, I have mortified it and would do it again. If you are going to play, you will eventually pay. If it is to crazy to fix, may have to step to one ton axles......
You are in the same boat I was in. It's an easy fix but good luck finding the solenoid if it happens to be that like it was for me. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number and we can chat if it will help you and/or your garage.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He actually was pushing lemon law if it happens again. He said it's the best way to get the bean counters to stop messing around and fix the problem. I'm not his first Rubicon to have issues.
Dang... I turn on the news and it's chocked full of Stupidville stories and now it has infiltrated the forum, SMH. Replacing axles multiple times and talking about Lemon Law over a solenoid or chafed wiring, unreal.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well I’m apart of this club now! Lol unfortunately my 18 JLR just hit 36,001 miles last week, but I’m assuming this will be covered under the power train warranty. Zero mods and almost never been off road. Had the light flicker for a second and then come on steady a minute later. Made an appointment with the dealer here in Adams, NY. @JeepCares I sent you a message, I need your help!

My dealership said my wave program expired and they won’t offer a rental until after they’ve diagnosed it (which I was told would be a day or two) and it HAS to be considered “undriveable” to warrant a rental.
Hi Brad,
We were able to respond to your private message. Please continue to work with us there for further assistance with your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Dang... I turn on the news and it's chocked full of Stupidville stories and now it has infiltrated the forum, SMH. Replacing axles multiple times and talking about Lemon Law over a solenoid or chafed wiring, unreal.
I was shocked that he mentioned it. I would not have even thought about it if he hadn't brought it up.
Sponsored