First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Add me to the list of people who have had multiple issues with this. The dealership replaced the rear axle assembly in Feb. I have had the light come on a couple of times since, but it was always a quick error, and back off again. I was even able to use my lockers when needed on some trails. But for Fathers day I took my Jeep up to the mountains of NM, mild trails really. Didn't even need to use the lockers. But ever since then the light has been going off on every corner. So I'll try to get and appointment tomorrow. It just sucks that I'm away from home for work, and the closest dealership is 2 hrs away.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list of people who have had multiple issues with this. The dealership replaced the rear axle assembly in Feb. I have had the light come on a couple of times since, but it was always a quick error, and back off again. I was even able to use my lockers when needed on some trails. But for Fathers day I took my Jeep up to the mountains of NM, mild trails really. Didn't even need to use the lockers. But ever since then the light has been going off on every corner. So I'll try to get and appointment tomorrow. It just sucks that I'm away from home for work, and the closest dealership is 2 hrs away.
I highly recommend you disconnect the locker wire harness from the top of your differential. It takes about 30 seconds to do it. Mine flaked out so bad and the locker module got so confused that the lockers locked themselves while I was out driving one day. Had to use the harness from my wife's Jeep to cycle the lockers and get them to disengage. Read up through the thread, I've documented what the actual problem is and how to fix it even though the dealers won't do it... lol.
They are going to keep replacing axles and those axles are going to continue to fail until they start replacing the second solenoid in the axles which is what is failing.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested here is a pic of the solenoid that is getting the gear oil in it. I popped the cover off and it was almost completely full of gear oil. I'm in the process of cleaning it and then I will reassembly it and test it and keep it as a spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On IMG_3991

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On IMG_3990

Eastcape14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Thanks for the update! We are happy to see that your dealer is willing to work with you towards a solution. If you would still like to open a case with us, feel free to respond to our private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
I am now working with Jeep Cares to help me figure this out.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I highly recommend you disconnect the locker wire harness from the top of your differential. It takes about 30 seconds to do it. Mine flaked out so bad and the locker module got so confused that the lockers locked themselves while I was out driving one day. Had to use the harness from my wife's Jeep to cycle the lockers and get them to disengage. Read up through the thread, I've documented what the actual problem is and how to fix it even though the dealers won't do it... lol.
They are going to keep replacing axles and those axles are going to continue to fail until they start replacing the second solenoid in the axles which is what is failing.
I appreciate the research that you have done on the issue. I won't be able to get it to the dealership until next Monday, so I will disconnect it from the diff like you suggested. I would fix it myself, but the warranty is still intact, and I will use it. If they want to keep replacing the axles then I will let them. I told them it was the actuator the last time, but the tech told me that they won't allow them to open the diffs. Ridiculous.

Sponsored

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
I dont know if ive chimed in this particular thread or not, but Ive been working closely with my connections at FCA on it.

Here at Doetsch Offroad we have identified a problem that is all too common in the rear diff that is causing locker lights, and eventual failure. They have taken the findings very seriously and its being addressed with more info coming soon.

On the diff wiring harness on the inside, the 2 wires are (partially) covered by sheathing. Unfortunately they are not completely covered and the wire is sitting on top of a sharp edged bearing cap which is wearing away at the wire until exposed. This can easily be corrected by anyone before it happens by bringing the sheathing over to that side and using a small zip tie to keep it in place. However, once the wire is exposed it causes a ground fault and a light. As it continues, it eventually will kill the actuator altogether.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I dont know if ive chimed in this particular thread or not, but Ive been working closely with my connections at FCA on it.

Here at Doetsch Offroad we have identified a problem that is all too common in the rear diff that is causing locker lights, and eventual failure. They have taken the findings very seriously and its being addressed with more info coming soon.

On the diff wiring harness on the inside, the 2 wires are (partially) covered by sheathing. Unfortunately they are not completely covered and the wire is sitting on top of a sharp edged bearing cap which is wearing away at the wire until exposed. This can easily be corrected by anyone before it happens by bringing the sheathing over to that side and using a small zip tie to keep it in place. However, once the wire is exposed it causes a ground fault and a light. As it continues, it eventually will kill the actuator altogether.
Thanks for the information. I've recently had new axles installed and I'm currently properly breaking in the gears. I haven't energized the lockers yet and will not before checking out the wiring.
I've just order high temp (260C) 4" zip-ties for when I pull the covers at upcoming diff oil change.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Great info...can you share pics?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@Jolonghorn I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were right!!!! It's the second solenoid, the one that tells the Jeep the state of the locker. It was literally full of gear oil. The one I harvested out of my wife's Jeep was dry inside so I added some silicon (you can see it in the pic) to the lip of it for future protection and that is what I just put in mine and it worked. As soon as I started the Jeep the warning light never came on and I had my daughter cycle the lockers while I looked at it with the diff cover still off and it cycled perfectly. SO HAPPY right now. Sad thing is the dealers won't swap that part out, they are forced by FCA to replace the entire axle.
:bandit:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I hope they are taking it seriously but when FCA's solution is to replace an entire axle vs. a solenoid you have to ask what the heck they are thinking. Early on when this first started happening they were allowing the techs to go in the diff and it was noted that the second solenoid, the one that senses the state of the locker, was filling with gear oil and failing. Then all of the sudden they wanted entire axle swaps done and send the faulty axle to FCA for analysis. So it sounds like it's a double whammy, some are getting the second solenoid full of axle fluid and others are having the wires going to the main actuator solenoid chafe on the bearing cap which I can totally see happening.
Both fixes can be accomplished in less than 1 hour but instead a 4 hour $2,000 axle swap is ordered and then there is a 50/50 chance that axle will fail. The sad thing is you can't even order the second solenoid from the dealer. When they pull the part up in the system it is superseded by the locker assembly and the locker assembly is superseded by the axle. So Joe Shmoe, like me, who's axle is not under warranty because I re-geared can't even fix it himself. This is the BS we put up with when we build our Jeeps. "Well you re-geared which means you touched the locker which means you probably caused this problem which means you're not covered. Good luck." Meanwhile plenty of other non-modified Jeeps are failing in the same way and they are covered. It's unreal some of the dumbass decisions that get tossed around with this stuff, so when you say "They are taking this very seriously" I have to laugh a little. OK, I'm off my soapbox now :)
Fortunately I have two other D44s we upgraded to on my wife's Sahara so she doesn't need that second solenoid and I harvested one out of her axles to fix mine.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my 2018 JLUR back from the dealership. There was no charge and I was given a rental for the three days it took to diagnose and fix. Here is the exact wording on the workorder/receipt.

E2528D34-6ECE-4AB1-95FE-4FEA0940A2EE.jpeg
Very happy for you and the plot thickens. Seems like there are now multiple issues going on with the locker system.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
At the dealership now. I advised the service manager as to what people here had found before. Unfortunately my schedule is not a very flexible situation, and today is the first time I have been able to get to the service department. And being 2 hours away is not beneficial as I know that they will need to order the parts and have me come back once they arrive.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At the dealership now. I advised the service manager as to what people here had found before. Unfortunately my schedule is not a very flexible situation, and today is the first time I have been able to get to the service department. And being 2 hours away is not beneficial as I know that they will need to order the parts and have me come back once they arrive.
Why not get a loaner through the Wave program? Yeah, you'll be without your Jeep but then you don't need to spend half a day on the road.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Why not get a loaner through the Wave program? Yeah, you'll be without your Jeep but then you don't need to spend half a day on the road.
They are doing that for me when I bring it back to actually get the work done. It takes a while to get parts to middle of nowhere west Texas. So they verified and ordered parts today. And I'll bring it back in a week or so when the axle actually gets here.
Sponsored