Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Update 4/17 - 18 days into SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM. 12 days short of lemon law. Jeep is now 108 days old. 18 days at the dealer, now fixed. Both front and rear axles and actuators replaced as well as the wiring harness replaced. Finally after the wiring harness was replaced it stopped alerting the axle lockers needed service. What an expensive debacle for Jeep. Put 200 miles on last weekend after pick up. Drove from 2000 feet elevation at 88 degrees to 8000 feet at 37 degrees up the mountain. Spent time on the trails in 4WD H. Then next day back in the desert using 4WD L and sway bar disconnect. No problems. Next weekend will test the lockers. What a cluster!
You may want to consider potting your sensors that are located in the diff because you are still rolling the dice that you will get the problem again. The "fix" is that they put in brand new axles that have teh same faulty parts in them.
Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger how are you?

Im sure I missed it, do you or anyone know the part number for the sensor?

I know its not available separately, want to try though :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger how are you?

Im sure I missed it, do you or anyone know the part number for the sensor?

I know its not available separately, want to try though :)
I'm good. I'm sure somewhere on this thread or in here there is a part number. @wibornz and @chevymitchell had a line on the part at one time I think. You will be a rock star if you figure out a way to buy it :)

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm good. I'm sure somewhere on this thread or in here there is a part number @wibornz and @chevymitchell had a line on the part at one I think. You will be a rock star if you figure out a way to buy it :)
Yes Would love to buy 2 new and pot them then install.

Will escalate w jeep once I get the part number. :)

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You may want to consider potting your sensors that are located in the diff because you are still rolling the dice that you will get the problem again. The "fix" is that they put in brand new axles that have teh same faulty parts in them.
Not until my 8 year 100K warranty MAX CARE is over. They can keep replacing those axles until the engineer at FCA gets sick of it and decides to do a redesign. We will see what the future holds. Love going off trails with it.

Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
If the Rubicon is still with me after 8 years then I will look at keeping Z-automotive work around in the back of the Jeep. Hoping to hang on to mine like you all do for years.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If the Rubicon is still with me after 8 years then I will look at keeping Z-automotive work around in the back of the Jeep. Hoping to hang on to mine like you all do for years.
I'm doing the same. I've got that little harness stashed in the rear storage bin for just such an occasion. Fortunately, I'm 3.25 years with the Jeep and 46k miles and all is well, so far.

How many have had them fail at both ends? Seems like the rear is where better than 90% of the failures are. I've got the unlimited MaxCare warranty, but I keep the ZAuto harness so it doesn't ruin a trip. If it happens, I'll use the harness, then come home and have them fix it.

I would think that one day the bean counters will discover the financial bleed out that's going on here and force Dana to supply the replacement part.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It'd be interesting to do a poll on this to get some numbers. We could then crudely estimate how many are out there by looking at the number of failures reported as a percentage of forum members, then looking at what percentage of total Rubicon sales it would be. The number would wind up very conservative, as some forum members who have experienced it probably wouldn't even see the post. I'd bet the estimated total Rubis with the problem would be high enough to make us scratch our heads even more as to why they won't release this simple little part as a replacement that could be purchased right at the parts counter. Hell, they could even charge a stupidly high price for it and actually make some money instead of bleeding it. I'd bet a number of us would pay upwards of $100 or more just to keep our Jeeps on the road/trail, if we experienced it. (I paid around $175 for the ZAuto harness as an insurance policy.)

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well there was enough of them that failed that it caused a national shortage of rear Danna 44 axles.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Once upon a time you could go to China, say Shanghai, and take a part like that and find a manufactuerer that would produce an exact copy in short order, in whatever quantity you'd want for cheap.

But who wants to go to China these days?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer