Sponsored

“Jeep” fender badge install tips?

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Hello everyone. Just got a set of all matte black Jeep fender badges. I will be replacing the ones that come on the 392 due to the gold trim (and I’m going for the blacked out aesthetic). Any tips on the install to ensure it comes out perfectly level and the letters are perfectly spaced apart?

Searched YouTube and saw a ton of stuff on removing the originals…but nothing on installing them. Saw an interesting gladiator badge video that came with a cardboard template to align the bottoms of the letter during install (I guess I could make one of those). Last point. I see all 4 layers come stuck on to a piece of clear 3M backing. Maybe that is meant to lay flat and I would go removing a letter at a time with the clear strip is attached to the vehicle??

Anyways…any help would be appreciated. Like a lot of us car guys/gals I’m very OCD and any imperfection (even if only visible to my eye) would haunt me. Thanks!
Sponsored

ChiJL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting-Gray JLR
Have you gotten your matte badges yet? I got mine off ebay and they came in a nice foam molding that keeps them spaced and even on install. It was a nice surprise when I opened the package.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Never tried anything like that myself, but just saw a pic the other day that had a good tip. They used painter's tape to mask off the exterior around the original lettering, that way you'll have a guide for the new decal to keep it in the original position. As far as letter spacing, don't those usually come as a solid sheet with one word? Seems most people here use Pixeldecals.com and those should be a single sheet, not individual letters afaik (maybe send the seller an email to find out for sure).

Also, I believe a regular hair dryer (NOT a heat gun) is recommended for removing any decals or badges (using fishing line to gently lift the badges and a 'safe' citrus-based adhesive remover like Goo-Gone to remove any left over crud if needed). Best of luck!

Edit; Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about the 'JEEP' badge with colored backing. The painter's tape still might help as a guide for that as well, but I'm not sure how well it will work for spacing.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Mask off the border before you remove it. Then you’ll have a space to fit your new badges. You can also plastidip the gold accents away.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Have you gotten your matte badges yet? I got mine off ebay and they came in a nice foam molding that keeps them spaced and even on install. It was a nice surprise when I opened the package.
I got them on a website called ‘just Jeep parts’ or something like that. Got them there as they were advertised as mopar original…received them and they are! No foam guide included though…however, something to think about. I appreciate the input

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Mask off the border before you remove it. Then you’ll have a space to fit your new badges. You can also plastidip the gold accents away.
The border with painters tape is a good idea. Saw a guy fo that with a rubicon decal….came out perfect

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just an idea, but what about using your own “transfer tape”. Something like contact paper to adhere across the front of the emblems and peel off after you install.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Just an idea, but what about using your own “transfer tape”. Something like contact paper to adhere across the front of the emblems and peel off after you install.
That’s a good idea. Online looking for a tape like that now. I’m thinking it needs to be pretty ridged.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That’s a good idea. Online looking for a tape like that now. I’m thinking it needs to be pretty ridged.
Maybe something double sided, and stick one side to a piece of cardboard first?

Hotchyy

First Name
Romeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Parks & Rec
Like a lot of people mentioned above, when I swapped mine out I cut painters tape and placed them around the lettering before I took off all the badges. I would highly suggest plasti-dip though!
Sponsored