Sponsored

“First Gear Shift Not Available” Warning Chime (M/T)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I can’t seem to replicate the warning. I purposely tried this morning coming home from work, even went so far as while doing 40 putting it into the 1/2 area and still did not receive the warning. Not sure why some receive it and some don’t.
Ditto. Have never seen this, though I never down-shift to 1st when doing anything more than a crawl.
Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t need to actually downshift into 1st to get the chime and message. The shifter simply needs to be in the 1/2 gate. Was the clutch depressed? I only get it when I press down on the clutch and the shifter is in the 1/2 gate. It happens also when going from 2nd to third and the speed is greater than 30mph. Since I need to take it out of 2nd, the shifter is momentarily in the 1/2 gate for a split second while I shift into 3rd. I have to be accelerating pretty aggressively since I’m 2nd gear, 30+mph mean the engine is revving over 4k.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t need to actually downshift into 1st to get the chime and message. The shifter simply needs to be in the 1/2 gate. Was the clutch depressed? I only get it when I press down on the clutch and the shifter is in the 1/2 gate. It happens also when going from 2nd to third and the speed is greater than 30mph. Since I need to take it out of 2nd, the shifter is momentarily in the 1/2 gate for a split second while I shift into 3rd. I have to be accelerating pretty aggressively since I’m 2nd gear, 30+mph mean the engine is revving over 4k.
Nope, definitely none of that. Sounds like you have a gremlin. I’d take it in.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it's a gremlin. I honestly think it's a warning chime. It kicks in when a specific function is trying to be performed and warning you about it. I really don't mind now. I've gotten used to it because I know when it kicks in.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, definitely haven’t had it happen and I have definitely had my Sport in those specific conditions.

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so for those who haven’t had this happen to them, try the following:

1. Get up to steady speeds in excess of 35mph. Preferably on a highway where you can coast at 50+mph.

2. When it’s safe, get out of gear and let the Jeep coast in neutral at a speed that exceeds 35mph. While coasting, do not depress the clutch and leave the shifter in the neutral position.

3. While coasting and without pressing the clutch, simply move the shifter all the way to the left (towards you) but do not engage in either first or second gears. Just move the shifter to the far left only.

When the shifter touches the 1/2 gate, you should receive a message in the speedo console that says shifting into first gear is not available. You may or may not hear a chime.

Please report back what model Jeep you have. I have a feeling it may only do it with Rubicons due to the high gear ratio.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so for those who haven’t had this happen to them, try the following:

1. Get up to steady speeds in excess of 35mph. Preferably on a highway where you can coast at 50+mph.

2. When it’s safe, get out of gear and let the Jeep coast in neutral at a speed that exceeds 35mph. While coasting, do not depress the clutch and leave the shifter in the neutral position.

3. While coasting and without pressing the clutch, simply move the shifter all the way to the left (towards you) but do not engage in either first or second gears. Just move the shifter to the far left only.

When the shifter touches the 1/2 gate, you should receive a message in the speedo console that says shifting into first gear is not available. You may or may not hear a chime.

Please report back what model Jeep you have. I have a feeling it may only do it with Rubicons due to the high gear ratio.
2 door Rubi. Cannot reproduce.

Buffalo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I get the chime when shifting from second to third above about 30 mph. JLUR.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
This is what the message looks like. I coasted in neutral and moved the shifter towards the left.

A08A531D-D3F9-4ADD-877C-187A6A5DA961.jpeg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was bored on my commute and tried like hell to make this warning come on. No dice. You have a gremlin. Either that, or you have no business driving stick. :cwl: (Just kidding.)

My Jeep was built in June and wasn’t part the cruise control recall. Maybe there’s a software fix that will make it’s way to you at some point?

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was built 5/12 and wasn’t part of the cruise control recall. My understanding is that only auto transmissions were part of the recall.

I don’t think it’s a gremlin because many have this warning. It may be an older software version that can be fixed with a flash.

moto_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
I had my JLUR into the dealer today for the first oil change and asked them to investigate the warning. I'm seeing it in second gear even before I shift to 3rd above 32mph. They informed me FCA is aware of the bug and is working on a fix, same with the random weather warnings. No timeline given though.

They then managed to somehow screw up my reverse gear sensor so my backup camera and reverse ights don't come on anymore. Haven't had any vehicle to the dealer in years so lesson learned, free oil change = not worth it.

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
JLUR here as well and get the annoying chime all the time. My wife and I laugh at the nanny state of things today. The message in the dash is easy to ignore, but the chime is annoying. I like many would like to be able to turn off the chime. I’ve been searching manuals and web for an answer to this to no avail. Will be watching this thread to see if anyone finds an answer.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Yeah, I hear that chime routinely...not enough to annoy me but it’s definitely there.

Overall I’m liking the m/t, but do agree with folks that the ratios are not ideal for street. Short shifting first, wind-out 2nd and 5/6 are only useful going downhill with the wind at your back!

What does annoy me is the grating feel i get in the clutch pedal going from 3–>2. Pretty sure I’ve noticed commentary about this in another thread a while back but it was before I got my vehicle. Anyone have that issue, or point me to the discussion thread?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does annoy me is the grating feel i get in the clutch pedal going from 3–>2. Pretty sure I’ve noticed commentary about this in another thread a while back but it was before I got my vehicle. Anyone have that issue, or point me to the discussion thread?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/grinding-feeling-in-the-clutch-pedal.3947/

Only 1,000 miles on my JL so far, but I can’t reproduce the chime. Guessing I have newer software than you guys, as my build date was 6/4.

Grinding thing sounds annoying, as does the other thread about squeaking. I hope mine doesn’t develop either problem!

Ratios are fine for me. I use 6th every day on the highway. Yeah, I downshift to 4th of I need to accelerate, and 5th if there is a grade to climb, but for cruising it’s fine.
Sponsored