Sponsored

“Express” Oil Change - how long of a wait is reasonable?

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 GC
I actually have free oil change coupons sitting in a desk drawer somewhere because of this. It's too easy to throw a box of Mobil 1 in the cart at Sam's club and get a couple of filters on Amazon. Wake up Sunday, pull the plug, drink coffee, pull the filter, drink more coffee, replace plug, add oil, drink more coffee, take a shower. It took me almost as long to type this than it does to change the oil on a 3.6.
Sponsored

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
How long of a wait is reasonable for an “Express Oil Change”?

I normally make an appointment for service. The Change Oil warning came up while I was near the dealer, so I popped in as the sign said no appointment needed. The wait was at least an hour and a half. I went to a nearby oil change shop, where I got in right away and was back on the road 20 minutes later.

Is an hour and a half wait reasonable? I don’t really consider these free, as I expect they are baked into the COGS of the vehicle.
To everyone that changes their own oil..what do you all do with the old oil?...take it to dealer or Express oil to dispose of it?..or does everyone have gallons of old oil lying around the garage?

blue_rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I took my used oil to a nearby Tires Plus, where they recycled it free of charge (even without doing any service on my Jeep).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
To everyone that changes their own oil..what do you all do with the old oil?...take it to dealer or Express oil to dispose of it?..or does everyone have gallons of old oil lying around the garage?
My mechanic burns it in his shop (special furnace for this). Since I rarely go there, though, I usually end up with a few gallons in my garage. My town dump will take it, as will auto parts stores. Lots of easy options, but much like old paint I rarely find the motivation to go drop it off...

BTW, Fumoto valves make the already simple oil change task even easier. See https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
What do you do with the old oil?
Do you have an Advance Auto near you? That is where I typically take mine but it is right up the road from me. My town takes it also but that is much further.

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
I'm not a DIY guy as far as cars are considered, my other car Honda, on Saturday really in the morning, takes about an hour to hour and half. If I pop in by 7.30, then it is an hour. 7.45, additional half hour(they open at 8). My Jeep, on the other hand, despite an appointment, they asked me to come back after 3 - 4 hours (they provided shuttle drop off and pick up to my house). So, in your case, it's very reasonable.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It will vary by jurisdiction. Here I keep it until I have a few jugs and then swing by the hazardous waste drop-off with that any anything else that’s ‘hazardous’ like batteries, paint, electronics, etc.

Free. Because they really don’t want this shit in the landfill.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Do you have an Advance Auto near you? That is where I typically take mine but it is right up the road from me. My town takes it also but that is much further.
The Advanced Auto Parts stores near me have a permanent sign in the front window that reads "Oil Tank Full." Luckily, our curbside recycling/trash pick up will take used oil and filters.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
I would never take my Jeep in for an oil change. Much better to do yourself.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
It does not void the warranty but it does put a burden on you to provide evidence of the oil changes. Generate contemporaneous paperwork. I maintain a maintenance log of all work I do on my Jeep, along with receipts for oil and filters. Date, mileage, notes.

Presenting a solid set of documents like that to a service manager is a not-so-subtle hint that you're prepared to win in a courtroom should they decide to try to deny a warranty claim.

Note also - get yourself a fumoto valve if you're doing your own. Makes oil changes bafflingly easy and clean and prevents stripping/rounding of the drain plug.
yes , that fumoto valve is a great idea

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I would say an hour is good, my dealer where I'm at is Tacoma Dodge and they have had me in and out in 30 minutes. The dealer I had to use where I was at in southern California and I say had to use because I was out in the desert would take any where from an hour and half to two hours and that was using the express lane.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
What do you do with the old oil?
Put it in a container an the next trip out stop at a local auto parts store to dispose of.
Sponsored