Sponsored

“Express” Oil Change - how long of a wait is reasonable?

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

In the Northwest forum, another user just reported that my local Jeep dealership still hasn't figured out the 5 vs 6 quarts thing.. Maybe doing my own is the right way to go.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I remember when I had a '97 TJ. At the dealer getting cruise control installed. Watching the oil change guy (kid, the new guy changes oil) change the oil in a minivan. he drained the oil, refilled it, realized he didn't change the filter. Threw the brand new filter in the trash.

I agree, change it your self

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
there is an argument to be made that I paid for two years of oil changes when I bought the Jeep. They call it the Jeep Wave program. May as well use them if I can. Time is the problem. I have a local family owned oil change place near by that never has much of a wait, does a great job, and has me in and out of there in 15 minutes.
After working in dealerships for 20 years I dont let them touch ANYTHING unless it is a warranty/recall. If you only seen the things i have seen you’d forgo the “free” oil change.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer ruined my new Liberty doing those "Free" oil changes. I can't afford the "Free" oil changes anymore. To each his own but waiting for someone to mess up your New Wrangler is your choice and it doesn't take long to do so. At 1.5 hours they can really mess everything up but it should not take that long and in reality a 1/2 hour should take care of screwing it up enough to get the job done. Depending on who is there before you and already waiting, it is like a grocery store line. You wait your turn.
Ive witnessed not 1 but 2 brand new trucks fall off the lift for their first “free” oil change in my career.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I’m confused. You let someone else change your oil?!? I read the words but I don’t understand what you are saying??
I have done many oil changes myself over the years but with a new vehicle I am not sure if it won't void the warranty ? Do you just keep the oil purchase receipt? Is that a valid proof of an oil change?

Sponsored

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d imagine also the computer should keep track every time you reset the oil life monitor after the oil change?

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I’d imagine also the computer should keep track every time you reset the oil life monitor after the oil change?
But couldn't you theoretically reset the oil longevity any time ? I do not think the computer can detect whether you really changed the oil or not?

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You sure can. No the it cant tell if you actually changed it or not. Think of it as a fancy hour meter/timer.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Most Chrysler dealers advertise an 'express' oil change that should take 30 minutes or less. In my experience with those Chrysler dealers, I've spent more than 30 minutes standing around with my Jeep outside waiting for the advisor to sign the paperwork.

Frankly, the only thing I'll ever go to a dealer for is warranty work. And even then I sometimes will weigh how much it'd cost to just buy the parts and have a local mechanic do the work. Because fuck Chrysler dealers. They're the worst of the worst.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most Chrysler dealers advertise an 'express' oil change that should take 30 minutes or less. In my experience with those Chrysler dealers, I've spent more than 30 minutes standing around with my Jeep outside waiting for the advisor to sign the paperwork.

Frankly, the only thing I'll ever go to a dealer for is warranty work. And even then I sometimes will weigh how much it'd cost to just buy the parts and have a local mechanic do the work. Because fuck Chrysler dealers. They're the worst of the worst.
Lol actually Chevy dealers are worse. Usually Chrysler techs a lot of them have been there awhile, Chevy dealers have these young guys working for nothing ruining things.

Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
Its a shame to have to wait for a simple oil change and then only to find they overfilled with 6 quarts of oil instead of 5. :swear:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
lol, back when we had a 300c, I babied that car and bought synthetic oil for it. Multiple times I took it in with bottles of said oil in the trunk, instructed the service advisor to use the oil in the trunk, and so on. When the car was "ready" I'd find the bottles of oil still in the trunk.

One time I gave up and put the bottles on the passenger seat. I came back when it was "ready" to find the bottles of oil still on the passenger seat.

So the 6qt thing doesn't surprise me at all.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have done many oil changes myself over the years but with a new vehicle I am not sure if it won't void the warranty ? Do you just keep the oil purchase receipt? Is that a valid proof of an oil change?
It does not void the warranty but it does put a burden on you to provide evidence of the oil changes. Generate contemporaneous paperwork. I maintain a maintenance log of all work I do on my Jeep, along with receipts for oil and filters. Date, mileage, notes.

Presenting a solid set of documents like that to a service manager is a not-so-subtle hint that you're prepared to win in a courtroom should they decide to try to deny a warranty claim.

Note also - get yourself a fumoto valve if you're doing your own. Makes oil changes bafflingly easy and clean and prevents stripping/rounding of the drain plug.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Top tip for the DIY guys who want that Jiffy Lube experience: when you finish, have your neighbor come over a filter-shame you. For example, have them condescendingly shove a cabin filter (from any car) in your face and say something like, “The manufacturer recommends you replace this every hour. Want us to go ahead and do that for $80?”
Sponsored