Sponsored

“Express” Oil Change - how long of a wait is reasonable?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

How long of a wait is reasonable for an “Express Oil Change”?

I normally make an appointment for service. The Change Oil warning came up while I was near the dealer, so I popped in as the sign said no appointment needed. The wait was at least an hour and a half. I went to a nearby oil change shop, where I got in right away and was back on the road 20 minutes later.

Is an hour and a half wait reasonable? I don’t really consider these free, as I expect they are baked into the COGS of the vehicle.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
With my Jeep and my last truck, I’ve been out in thirty minutes up to more than a couple of hours. All depends on dealer, what day it is, time of day, etc.
Fastest seems to be mid day, and mid week.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Well, I'd say it's reasonable if you just popped in and didn't make an appointment. But I personally wouldn't wait that long.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I'd say an hour and half is very reasonable if you didn't make an appointment. But I'd take 30 mins and change my own as it's the most basic maintenance you can do. If it was something you just didn't want to do I'd make an appointment. I also change oil at 5k miles, not when a light or message suggests I do so...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
1.5 hour would be at the top end in waiting. 1 hour would be a general time frame. 45 min is excellent. anything under 45 mins, i have to wonder if it was done right or at all. i dont bother with the dealership service and use my own mechanic because i trust him. he gets me in and out 45 mins to 1 hour (depending on the work load). that scheduled or not. i personally stay away from the quick lube guys because they tend to rush the service. also miss a few steps. over tighten or damage the drain plug.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m confused. You let someone else change your oil?!? I read the words but I don’t understand what you are saying??

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I just don’t get it. Do it yourself. This is the easiest vehicle in the world to do an oil change on. It is literally 10 MINUTES, 15 if you never did it before.
totally agree learn to do it yourself if you do not know how. If you can turn a wrench you can change your own oil. I am sure there is a step by step how to on this forum somewhere.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I just don’t get it. Do it yourself. This is the easiest vehicle in the world to do an oil change on. It is literally 10 MINUTES, 15 if you never did it before.
there is an argument to be made that I paid for two years of oil changes when I bought the Jeep. They call it the Jeep Wave program. May as well use them if I can. Time is the problem. I have a local family owned oil change place near by that never has much of a wait, does a great job, and has me in and out of there in 15 minutes.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Dealer ruined my new Liberty doing those "Free" oil changes. I can't afford the "Free" oil changes anymore. To each his own but waiting for someone to mess up your New Wrangler is your choice and it doesn't take long to do so. At 1.5 hours they can really mess everything up but it should not take that long and in reality a 1/2 hour should take care of screwing it up enough to get the job done. Depending on who is there before you and already waiting, it is like a grocery store line. You wait your turn.
Sponsored