Not open for further replies.

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Suzuki GV, various performance 65-70 mopars
In the event this goes down, the entire Jeep line might have to be discontinued. Best I can tell the highest MPG of any Jeep is the FWD 1.3 liter Renegade which gets 32mpg on the highway. Apparently this applies to the complete line of new vehicles including SUVs & trucks as a corporate average. Not realistic IMHO unless driving habits of today are drastically changed.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I bet some of you guys are still pissed that they phased out leaded gasoline and regulated use and disposal of asbestos containing materials.
Lead out no, alcohol in yes. Asbestos- when my parents replaced the heating system in their home it cost a fortune, permits, haz mat team, disposal etc due to asbestos insulated ducts that were under the house for 60+ years. Necessary?

Slev

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Isn’t the mile per gallon based on all lines of vehicles that the company sells. So if you add in mix of electric / hybrid and gas engines should be reachable.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Isn’t the mile per gallon based on all lines of vehicles that the company sells. So if you add in mix of electric / hybrid and gas engines should be reachable.
It's an average. This is why companies build compliance cars. For example, Toyota can sell a Tundra and Sequoia but offset those with a Prius. You only need to offer it in the lineup and sell a few for it to work. Thus, there's a reason you don't see many compliance cars on the road (i.e. Yaris, Fit, etc). Yet you see lots of Pilots and 4 Runners.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Overall, I'm not that concerned. Why? Manufactures are good at innovating; otherwise they will go out of business if they don't. Living in a capitalistic society, corporations will do the bare minimum to maximize profit. Only way to motivate change is with consumer demand or regulation. When the oil crisis and EPA regulations of the '70's & '80's hit, did the entire industry close up? No, they found ways to improve fuel mileage, reduce emissions, and still make cars better & faster. We are in that same transition phase. Things may be awkward while manufactures figure out how to deal with things, but they will still make cars people want to drive. Everyone seems to be jumping on the EV bandwagon, but hydrogen still has great potential. If only a company would be willing to take the first step of creating an infrastructure like Tesla did with electric charging stations, we could have a healthy mix of EV and hydrogen cars.

oceanbretzke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ocean Engineer / US Navy Diver
We will all be driving electric at some point. but that easily 20-30 years away if not longer. So I wouldon’t worry to much. Plus in reality at 30000ft, electric truly doesn’t help the evironment that much. Not saying we shouldn’t try to improve but the tech isn’t there yet.

oceanbretzke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ocean Engineer / US Navy Diver
That’s all well and fine but I’m worried the feds will force ICE vehicles off the roads or start limiting the number of ICE vehicles that are registered
Never going to happen at least not anytime soon

Last edited:

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Overall, I'm not that concerned. Why? Manufactures are good at innovating; otherwise they will go out of business if they don't. Living in a capitalistic society, corporations will do the bare minimum to maximize profit. Only way to motivate change is with consumer demand or regulation. When the oil crisis and EPA regulations of the '70's & '80's hit, did the entire industry close up? No, they found ways to improve fuel mileage, reduce emissions, and still make cars better & faster. We are in that same transition phase. Things may be awkward while manufactures figure out how to deal with things, but they will still make cars people want to drive. Everyone seems to be jumping on the EV bandwagon, but hydrogen still has great potential. If only a company would be willing to take the first step of creating an infrastructure like Tesla did with electric charging stations, we could have a healthy mix of EV and hydrogen cars.
They aren't good at innovating; hence, all the external motivations and even then they kick, scream, fight, and drag their feet (/point emissions controls, OBD-I). It took about three decades to innovate in response to the oil embargo (making weak engines to improve MPG isn't innovation). This is why Toyota and Honda are popular in the US.

I, for one, prefer to avoid the "messy middle".

Better hurry and get that 392 ordered….
mmmmhhhhmmmmm!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.